Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
29 December 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China Shifts COVID Policy to Jump-Start Ailing Domestic Growth VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- With a major shift in China's COVID-19 policy, Beijing is putting the focus back on economic growth. To lessen the blow to the domestic economy from the surge of infected people, Chinese officials and companies are letting people who test positive for COVID-19 return to work, even though that could accelerate the spread of the virus.
- Experts Weigh Risk of New COVID Mutations from China VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- The explosion of COVID infections in China since it relaxed its prevention and control measures has experts weighing the risks of new mutations that could prove to be more contagious or deadly that the currently dominant omicron strain.
- Hong Kong Expecting Influx of Tourists From Mainland China VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- As mainland China prepares to lift COVID-19 travel restrictions starting Jan. 8, Hong Kong, one of the most popular destinations for Chinese tourists, is eagerly awaiting and apprehensively bracing for an influx of visitors.
- China upholds truth, openness in disclosing information on COVID-19 deaths: NHC officials Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- In response to rumors that China's COVID-19 death toll is understated, experts and officials from China's health authorities said that China has insisted on the principle of truth and openness in disclosing information on deaths and severe cases for COVID-19 and will uphold the principle. They also said that its current standards for identifying COVID-19 fatality are scientific and in line with international norms.
- HKSAR to keep requesting Japan to drop flight restrictions Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Thursday said it will continue to request the Japanese authorities to rescind all discriminatory restrictions on passenger flights departing from Hong Kong, after Japan required passenger flights from the city to land at only four designated Japanese airports starting on Friday.
- Virologists and CDC departments deny reemergence of COVID-19 original strain and Delta variant in China Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- Virologists and disease prevention and control departments denied reemergence of COVID-19 original variants and Delta in China, after concerns that the "old" variants have caused an increase in COVID infections and some of the most severe cases showed white lungs in their CT scan results.
- China to adjust nucleic acid testing requirements for int'l arrivals People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China's customs authorities on Wednesday announced that nucleic acid testing requirements for all international travelers will be adjusted on Jan. 8.
- Hong Kong to lift social distancing measures, nucleic acid testing upon arrival People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- John Lee, chief executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), announced on Wednesday that all social distancing measures will be lifted from Thursday.
- China optimizes COVID-19 response in light of evolving situation People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China has renamed the Chinese term for COVID-19 from "novel coronavirus pneumonia" to "novel coronavirus infection," and will downgrade management of the disease from Class A to Class B starting from January 8, 2023, according to a statement released by the country's National Health Commission (NHC) on Dec. 26.
- China's outbound tourism expects revival after COVID response shift People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China's outbound tourism sector is expected to regain its vitality, with the country's newly adjusted COVID-19 response lifting restrictions on Chinese citizens' overseas trips and promoting cross-border personnel exchanges.
- Ensuring smooth, orderly transition to Class-B management of COVID-19 People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China's announcement earlier this week to downgrade its management of the infectious disease of COVID-19 from Class A to Class B, starting from Jan. 8, 2023, is a major shift of its COVID-19 response policy.
- China to ease restrictions on int'l flights from Jan. 8 People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China will remove certain COVID-19 restrictions on international passenger flights from Jan. 8, 2023, to prudently resume the operation of the flights, the Civil Aviation Administration of China said on Wednesday.
- COVID-19 responses attest to China's strength, resilience People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- With the New Year approaching, shopping centers and cinemas in Beijing are welcoming a steady increase in shopper foot traffic.
- Philippines, China agree to avoid 'miscalculation' over South China Sea Press TV 29 Dec 2022 -- The Philippines and China will avoid "miscalculation" in the disputed South China Sea, Manila says, ahead of a summit between the presidents of the two countries in the Chinese capital next week.
- Philippines' Marcos to raise South China Sea dispute during Beijing state visit Radio Free Asia 29 Dec 2022 -- Philippine leader Ferdinand Marcos Jr. will raise the South China Sea dispute and assert Manila's sovereignty over its territorial waters when he meets Chinese President Xi Jinping next week during his first presidential visit to Beijing, officials said Thursday.
- Chinese fighter jet and US military plane nearly collide Radio Free Asia 29 Dec 2022 -- A Chinese fighter jet maneuvered itself in front of an American reconnaissance plane over the South China Sea on Dec. 21 and came within 20 feet (6 meters) of a crash, according to the U.S. military.
- Pentagon: Chinese fighter buzzes US spy plane over South China Sea Press TV 29 Dec 2022 -- The US military announced that a Chinese military plane came within 20 feet (6 meters) of an American air force reconnaissance aircraft and forced it to take evasive maneuvers to avoid a collision over the South China Sea last week.
- Latest US-Taiwan arms sale slammed, 'will face mainland countermeasures' Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- The US announced another batch of arms sales to the island of Taiwan on Wednesday, featuring anti-tank mine-laying systems, a type of weapon that can be used to slow down potential amphibious landing operations from the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA). However, the PLA is well-equipped with minesweeping equipment, including robots, that can nullify these threats, and the latest US-Taiwan collusion will face resolute countermeasures from the Chinese mainland, experts said on Thursday.
- PLA military actions targeted at "Taiwan independence" separatist forces and external interferences: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- The military actions by the PLA are targeted at "Taiwan independence" separatist forces and external interferences, aiming to defend national sovereignty and territorial integrity, said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, a spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- China sets space mission record in 2022 with over 50 rocket launches, 100% success rate Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- China on Thursday drew a perfect ending to this year's rocket launch mission as a Long March-3B carrier rocket successfully lifted off from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Southwest China's Sichuan Province, sending an experimental satellite into preset orbit.
- China's aircraft carrier Liaoning spotted edging close to Guam for first time amid US strategic threats Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- The Liaoning aircraft carrier group of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy was recently spotted for the first time sailing close to Guam, a key US military node in the second island chain, during its ongoing exercises in the West Pacific, a move analysts said on Thursday showed that the Chinese carrier is ready to defend the country against potential US attacks launched from there, including military interference attempts over the Taiwan question.
- China-Russia naval exercise "Joint Sea-2022" demonstrates both sides' ability to safeguard peace and stability: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- The recent China-Russia Joint Sea-2022 naval exercise fully reflected the level of strategic mutual trust and the depth of tactical coordination between the two sides, and further deepened the China-Russia comprehensive strategic cooperative partnership of coordination for a new era, said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- US should stop hyping up "China threat" and space confrontation: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China urges the US side to reflect on its negative moves in the space domain, stop hyping up "China threat" and space confrontation, and instead take an active part in international space arms control, said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, a spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- Chinese Army Ready to Cooperate With Arab Countries on Global Security: Defense Ministry Sputnik 29 Dec 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) is ready to work with armies of the Arab countries and jointly promote global security initiatives, Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman Tan Kefei said on Thursday.
- COVID Controls Offer Insight Into China's Surveillance Network VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- For many outside China, this was the year that the term "surveillance state" became something they understood.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 29, 2022 PRC MofA 29 Dec 2022
- Chinese police vows to crack down on hostile forces, safeguard public security during upcoming festivals Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- China's Ministry of Public Security on Wednesday vowed to implement security measures to crack down on infiltration and sabotage activities by hostile forces, and ensure people have a safe and stable environment during the upcoming new year holidays.
- GT Yearender: China to inject stability as global security more uncertain in 2023 Global Times 29 Dec 2022
- Hong Kong's Gloomy Year Featured COVID Lockdowns, Jailings VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- Hong Kong has faced another year of gloom as the city struggles to overcome its pandemic and political woes.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list