Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 December 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Nearly 250 million people in China could have COVID-19, leaked document shows Radio Free Asia 23 Dec 2022 -- Nearly 250 million people may now be infected with COVID-19 following the lifting of control measures in China, according to a leaked government document circulating on social media.
- Macao SAR removes testing requirements for arrivals, residents 'optimistic' over economic recovery Global Times 23 Dec 2022 -- The Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) has removed nucleic acid testing requirements for arrivals from locations including Hong Kong SAR and the Taiwan region, which has taken effect from Friday, a step toward further easing pandemic related travel restrictions.
- China has sufficient medical supplies; epidemic situation within forecasts and controllable: FM Global Times 23 Dec 2022 -- Overall medical supplies in China are sufficient and the epidemic situation is within forecasts and controllable, a spokesperson of the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Friday, adding that China continues to share related information with the World Health Organization (WHO) and the international community in a responsible manner.
- Oximeter orders soar in China; manufacturers increase supply amid COVID-19 flare-ups Global Times 23 Dec 2022 -- Orders for oximeters soared in China amid COVID-19 flare-ups, with merchants working overtime to pack and deliver products to meet surging demand, a number of employees from medical equipment firms told the Global Times on Friday.
- Drug shortage to be gradually eased after producers operating 24 hours per day to increase output: Sinopharm Global Times 23 Dec 2022 -- Pharmaceutical companies in China are working overtime to produce drugs and gradually ease the tense demand situation as some cities show a serious shortage of medicines.
- Multiple factors cause rise of severe COVID cases in Beijing: health experts People's Daily 23 Dec 2022 -- Health experts noted that multiple reasons have led to a rise of severe COVID-19 cases in Beijing, as north China generally sees a greater occurrence of respiratory infectious diseases in winter times.
- China's Suzhou gears up for COVID-19 infection increase People's Daily 23 Dec 2022 -- In the Gusu District of Suzhou City in east China's Jiangsu Province, obsolete nucleic acid testing booths have been repurposed into temporary fever clinics to cope with a recent surge in patients battling COVID-19 infections.
- China steps up Coast Guard patrols near Japanese islands Radio Free Asia 23 Dec 2022 -- Chinese vessels have intensified activities around Japan this week, sending a clear message of deterrence after Tokyo designated Beijing an unprecedented "strategic challenge" in its latest National Security Strategy.
- Mainland has 'no obstacle' to resume direct exchanges on cross-Straits travel Global Times 23 Dec 2022 -- There is an increasing need among Taiwan compatriots for cross-Straits travel ahead of the Spring Festival and we are willing to take optimized measures and do our best to meet the demand, Zhu Fenglian, the State Council Taiwan Affairs Office spokesperson, said on Friday in response to a transportation plan by Taiwan island for the upcoming festival.
- Limited TikTok ban could augur sweeping changes Radio Free Asia 23 Dec 2022 -- A new ban on TikTok's use on U.S. government devices may only be the start of congressional prohibitions against the Chinese social media app, with lawmakers from both parties angling for more decisive action against what they say represents a national security threat.
- US Closely Tracking Russia-China Joint Drills in East China Sea Sputnik 23 Dec 2022 -- The US, along with its allies and partners, is closely monitoring the joint naval exercises of China and Russia in the East China Sea, the US Indo-Pacific Command (USINDOPACOM) said on Friday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on December 23, 2022 PRC MofA 23 Dec 2022
- Chinese FM, US secretary of state hold phone conversation Global Times 23 Dec 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and FM Wang Yi had a phone talk with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Friday, during which Wang said the top leaders' meeting last month sent positive signals but the US is calling for dialogue while at the same time trying to contain China.
- China warns US to stop 'unilateral bullying', heed Beijing's 'legitimate concerns' Press TV 23 Dec 2022 -- The US must abandon the "old routine of unilateral bullying" and stop suppressing China's development, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi has told his US counterpart Antony Blinken.
- China sanctions two US individuals over illegal US sanctions on Xizang region Global Times 23 Dec 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday announced sanctions on Yu Maochun, known as Miles Yu in the US, and Todd Stein as countermeasures to the illegal US sanctions of two Chinese officials on so-called human rights issues related to China's Xizang region.
- Two Americans sanctioned by China say they don't care Radio Free Asia 23 Dec 2022 -- Two U.S. citizens sanctioned by China in retaliation for U.S. sanctions issued over rights abuses in Tibet say they don't care and focus should remain on Beijing's treatment of ethnic minorities.
- Xi commends Lee for advancing HK on right track, ushering in new atmosphere Global Times 23 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday met with Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu, who is on his maiden duty visit to Beijing, and gave full recognition to his courageous and pragmatic work in leading the city government in safeguarding national security, reviving the vitality of the economy and enabling Hong Kong to display a new atmosphere of patriots administering Hong Kong.
- Xi meets with HKSAR chief executive PLA Daily 23 Dec 2022 -- President Xi Jinping on Friday met with Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) John Lee, who is on a duty visit to Beijing.
- Xi meets with Macao SAR chief executive PLA Daily 23 Dec 2022 -- President Xi Jinping on Friday met with Chief Executive of the Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) Ho Iat Seng, who is on a duty visit to Beijing.
- Chinese-Funded Projects Deepen Sri Lanka's Economic Woes VOA 23 Dec 2022 -- During the past decade, China funded the construction of massive infrastructure projects in Sri Lanka meant to boost the island nation's economy. However, after the economic collapse of the tiny Indian Ocean country earlier this year, there were questions whether these projects had contributed to the worst crisis it has ever faced.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list