Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 December 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese hospitals seek ventilators, medical supplies amid ongoing COVID-19 wave Radio Free Asia 20 Dec 2022 -- Hospitals across China are scrambling to source ventilators and other ICU equipment amid a mounting wave of COVID-19 infections after the government dropped widespread testing and targeted lockdowns under the zero-COVID policy, as residents of Wuhan report rampant community transmission of the virus.
- China's Official COVID Statistics Meet Public Doubt as Cases Increase VOA 20 Dec 2022 -- Almost two weeks after China relaxed its strict "zero-COVID" policy measures, China's National Health Commission (NHC) on Tuesday reported five deaths related to the virus after reporting two deaths the day before.
- China Trying to Downplay COVID Threat, Experts Say VOA 20 Dec 2022 -- Chinese government officials and international experts have always been at loggerheads about the COVID-19 situation in the world's most populated country. But now they have changed positions.
- Leading respiratory expert predicts Beijing facing spike in severe COVID-19 cases over coming fortnight, urges city to expand ICUs Global Times 20 Dec 2022 -- Beijing may experience a spike in severe COVID-19 cases over the next fortnight, a leading Chinese respiratory expert warned, urging medical institutions to expand intensive care units (ICUs) and boost medical resources to address the impending wave of infections.
- Deaths from other or underlying diseases not classified as COVID-related deaths: epidemiologist Global Times 20 Dec 2022 -- China's top epidemiologist said at a press conference on Tuesday that the deaths of COVID-19 patients due to underlying diseases, which is the main cause of their deaths, are not counted as deaths from Omicron infections.
- Public access to medical care 'immediate priority' of COVID prevention; more focus given to rural areas: health officials Global Times 20 Dec 2022 -- The immediate priority of epidemic prevention and control in China is to ensure the public's access to medical care, while giving focus to strengthening the prevention work and health services in rural areas, a spokesperson of China's National Health Commission (NHC) said on Tuesday at a press conference held by the State Council Joint Prevention and Control Mechanism Against COVID-19.
- Multiple Chinese cities allow mild COVID cases to return to work as life starts to normalize Global Times 20 Dec 2022 -- More Chinese cities are gradually moving on from the COVID-19 impact as some including Guiyang and Chongqing in the Southwest have announced notices to allow people with mild COVID-19 symptoms to return to work if their health conditions are qualified amid the country's continuous efforts to better balance epidemic prevention and social and economic development. Experts suggested each city should make dynamic adjustments based on its epidemic situation.
- China constantly optimizes COVID19 response to strike balance between epidemic prevention and economic, social devt: FM Global Times 20 Dec 2022 -- In light of the new developments in the COVID-19 epidemic, China is constantly optimizing its prevention and control measures to strike a balance between epidemic prevention and control and economic and social development, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said in response to remarks from the US Department of State about the global concerns over the current Chinese epidemic situation.
- Chinese pharmaceutical firms operate at full capacity to address cold medicine shortage Global Times 20 Dec 2022 -- Many Chinese pharmaceutical companies are operating at full capacity to meet rocketing demand for cold and fever medicines, and thanks to various measures taken by the government and firms, the shortages are easing, according to industry insiders on Tuesday.
- China firmly opposes any official contact between EU, Taiwan Press TV 20 Dec 2022 -- China has strongly warned the European Union (EU) against establishing any official contact with Chinese Taipei, urging the bloc to "act prudently" to avoid harming China-EU relations.
- Chinese Foreign Ministry Calls on EU to Treat Taiwan Issue Cautiously Sputnik 20 Dec 2022 -- China strongly opposes any form of official interaction between the European Union and Taiwan and calls on the bloc to treat the Taiwan issue cautiously as well respect the One China policy, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning said on Tuesday.
- Chinese Foreign Ministry Slams Guatemala's Plan to Hold Taiwan Summit Sputnik 20 Dec 2022 -- Taiwan is an unalienable part of China, and any attempts to make the island into a separate diplomatic actor run contrary to international norms, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning said on Tuesday, commenting on Guatemala's plans to hold a meeting of "Taiwan-friendly" countries.
- Taiwan probes TikTok amid fears of 'digital opium' targeting island's youngsters Radio Free Asia 20 Dec 2022 -- Authorities in Taiwan are investigating TikTok amid reports the Chinese-owned social media platform set up an illegal subsidiary on the democratic island, as analysts warned that widespread use of the app could result in Beijing feeding "digital opium" to the island's children and young people.
- India beefs up military presence at tense border with China Press TV 20 Dec 2022 -- Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar says the country has scaled up troop deployment along a disputed border with China to an unprecedented level, following a new stand-off there last week.
- China, Russia to hold joint naval drill in East China Sea, displaying capability amid US, Japanese provocations Global Times 20 Dec 2022 -- China and Russia will hold a week-long joint naval drill in the East China Sea starting Wednesday, in a move which analysts said on Tuesday displays the two countries' capabilities in tackling maritime security threats and safeguarding peace and stability at a complicated time when the US keeps promoting its "Indo-Pacific Strategy" and Japan has broken away from its defense-only principle, instigating tensions in the Taiwan Straits.
- First batch of dual-degree female pilot cadets make maiden solo flight PLA Daily 20 Dec 2022 -- Recently, the first batch of female pilot cadets jointly cultivated by the PLA Air Force Aviation University, Tsinghua University and Peking University come to their maiden solo flight test.
- China plays active role in reaching positive results at Review Conference of BWC PLA Daily 20 Dec 2022 -- The 9th Review Conference of the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BWC) closed in Geneva on December 16. Under the active promotion of Chinese delegation, which was led by the Ambassador for Disarmament Affairs Li Song, the conference reached a final document which has decided to further strengthen the effectiveness of the BWC and promote complete compliance. To this end, a working group shall be established to carry out substantive work in compliance and verification, international cooperation, scientific and technological review, national compliance and other aspects, and committed to exploring measures to strengthen the BWC, including legally binding methods.
- Xi stresses writing new chapter in China's Constitution practice in new era People's Daily 20 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has stressed writing a new chapter in the practice of China's Constitution in the new era, as the country marks the 40th anniversary of the enactment of its current Constitution this year.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on December 20, 2022 PRC MofA 20 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Speaks with President Frank-Walter Steinmeier of Germany on the Phone PRC MofA 20 Dec 2022 -- On the evening of December 20, 2022, President Xi Jinping had a phone conversation with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier at the latter's request.
- Xi Jinping Speaks with CĂ´te d'Ivoire's President Alassane Ouattara on the Phone PRC MofA 20 Dec 2022 -- On the afternoon of December 20, 2022, President Xi Jinping had a phone conversation with CĂ´te d'Ivoire's President Alassane Ouattara at theâ€‚latter's request.
- Xi talks with Cote d'Ivoire's president over phone PLA Daily 20 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday afternoon made a phone conversation with Cote d'Ivoire's President Alassane Ouattara at the latter's request.
- Australian Foreign Minister Heads to Beijing in Breakthrough Diplomatic Visit VOA 20 Dec 2022 -- Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong flies to China on Tuesday, signaling an improvement in bilateral relations.
- China completes construction of second biggest hydro plant SPA 20 Dec 2022 -- China's second largest hydropower facility on the upstream branch of the Yangtze river was formally completed on Tuesday after the last generating unit was connected to the grid, state broadcaster CCTV said, according to Reuters.
- Chinese Nationals Get Medical Attention After Rescue from Captivity in Nigeria VOA 20 Dec 2022 -- Nigerian officials say seven Chinese nationals received medical attention Monday after being rescued from nearly six months in captivity. Nigerian military forces recovered the abductees in a weekend operation in the central state of Kaduna.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list