Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 December 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China Relaxes COVID Policies Even as Cases May Be Surging VOA 19 Dec 2022 -- China continues to relax its stringent COVID regulations even as reports emerge about a surge in cases and deaths.
- Beijing covered up COVID-19 outbreak that sparked current death wave: official Radio Free Asia 19 Dec 2022 -- Beijing is currently facing an extraordinary wave of deaths as COVID-19 rips through the population, amid a widespread lack of data as mass, compulsory testing is abruptly halted across the country, residents and officials told Radio Free Asia.
- Medicines shortage spreads overseas as people buy Panadol to send to China Radio Free Asia 19 Dec 2022 -- Officials in Taiwan have called on local residents to avoid buying over-the-counter fever medicines in bulk, as a run on the medicines across the Taiwan Strait in China prompted fears of shortages on the democratic island too.
- Chinese hospitals expand ICUs, boost medical reserves to cope with COVID-19 surge Global Times 19 Dec 2022 -- Chinese cities and medical institutions are ramping up efforts to expand intensive care units (ICUs) and boost their reserves of medical resources and treatment facilities for severe COVID-19 cases in a bid to strengthen medical treatment capabilities to cope with the COVID-19 peak.
- District in Shanghai initiates second booster shot for high-risk groups, the elderly Global Times 19 Dec 2022 -- Jinshan district in Shanghai on Monday initiated a plan to inoculate COVID-19 second booster shot for high-risk groups and the elderly residents, a latest move along with some other regions across China such as Beijing to step up the protection of vulnerable groups amid the anti-virus response optimization.
- Guangzhou strengthens medical capability to address severe cases, prepares for predicted peak in January Global Times 19 Dec 2022 -- Guangzhou in South China's Guangdong Province is strengthening its medical resource reserves, improving medical capability in an all-round way including increasing the number of ICU beds from 455 to 1,385, to prepare for a predicted epidemic peak in early January in 2023, a local health official said on Monday.
- China's Guangzhou increases fever clinics to brace for COVID-19 peak People's Daily 19 Dec 2022 -- South China's Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong Province, has almost doubled the number of fever clinics as health authorities predicted a peak of COVID-19 cases.
- More elderly get COVID vaccine jabs People's Daily 19 Dec 2022 -- In the Shijingshan District of Beijing, a task force comprising two groups of five or six medics and community work staff is busy offering door-to-door vaccination services to elderly residents in need to help them fend off the virus at a peak of COVID-19 infections.
- Philippine Coast Guard recovers wreckage from another Chinese space rocket Radio Free Asia 19 Dec 2022 -- The Philippine Coast Guard says it has recovered suspected debris in Manila-claimed waters from the launch of another Chinese space rocket.
- U.S. Support for the Philippines in the South China Sea US Dept. of State 19 Dec 2022 -- The United States supports the Philippines' continued calls upon the People's Republic of China (PRC) to respect the international law of the sea in the South China Sea, as reflected in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, and its legal obligations pursuant to the 2016 arbitral ruling.
- Chinese vessel sails through territorial strait for international navigation rather than entering Japan's territorial waters: expert Global Times 19 Dec 2022 -- A Chinese Navy survey ship sailed through the Tokara Strait, a strait for free international navigation, rather than Japan's territorial waters, the Global Times learned on Monday after Japan had accused the Chinese vessel of entering its territorial waters.
- Japan on high alert as PLA Navy vessel enters its territorial waters Radio Free Asia 19 Dec 2022 -- Japanese forces have been put on high alert after a large number of Chinese warships including an aircraft carrier were spotted in the West Pacific.
- Russian Ships Sail for Joint Drills With Chinese Navy Next Week: Defense Ministry Sputnik 19 Dec 2022 -- A detachment of ships from Russia's Pacific Fleet is headed toward the East China Sea to participate in Russian-Chinese naval drills from December 21-27, the Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday.
- Aircraft carrier Liaoning hosts fighter jet drills in West Pacific Global Times 19 Dec 2022 -- After sailing across the Miyako Strait on Friday, the aircraft carrier Liaoning of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy has reportedly started to host fighter jet exercises in the Philippine Sea, with analysts saying on Monday that the ongoing drills could feature more sophisticated and realistic combat-oriented courses than last time in May.
- At Least Three Chinese Naval Task Forces Reported Entering Philippine Sea for Drills Sputnik 19 Dec 2022 -- A large number of Chinese naval vessels have been spotted entering the Philippine Sea in recent days, including the aircraft carrier Liaoning, leading to what analysts are saying could be the most powerful deployment ever by the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN).
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on December 19, 2022 PRC MofA 19 Dec 2022
- Anniversary of diplomatic relations between Australia and the People's Republic of China Prime Minister of Australia 19 Dec 2022 -- "This week marks the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Australia and the People's Republic of China."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list