Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 November 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Wide variation seen in China's COVID curbs across country Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2022 -- As China battles a rising wave of pandemic cases despite its zero-COVID policy of rolling lockdowns, compulsory testing and mass electronic tracking of citizens via the Health Code smartphone app, there are growing signs the policy is being unevenly applied across the country, analysts told Radio Free Asia.
- Beijing's anti-COVID fight reaches 'most critical point' after reporting 2,000+ infections in 2 days Global Times 23 Nov 2022 -- With more than 1,000 new COVID-19 infections per day in Beijing over the past two days, Beijing's COVID-19 fight has reached its most critical point, the Chinese capital's health officials said at a news conference on Wednesday.
- WHO extends coverage of SINOVAC's COVID-19 vaccine for 3-year-olds as Chinese experts discuss boosters for juveniles Global Times 23 Nov 2022 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has expanded the use of Chinese manufacturer SINOVAC Biotech's COVID-19 vaccine for children aged 3-17, making it the first and only vaccine on the WHO's Emergency Use Listing (EUL) that has been recommended for children aged 3-4, the Global Times learned from the company on Wednesday.
- COVID-19 booster vaccination rate for those aged 80 and above less than 30%: Beijing official Global Times 23 Nov 2022 -- The COVID-19 booster vaccination rate of those aged 80 and above is less than 30 percent, based on the data collected from the latest outbreak in Beijing. The number of new cases continues to increase and cases detected among communities continue to rise. The city is at the most critical moment of fighting COVID-19, Beijing officials said at Tuesday's press briefing.
- Chinese mainland reports 2,641 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Nov 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 2,641 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Severe case treatment vital in combatting COVID-19: Chinese health official People's Daily 23 Nov 2022 -- A Chinese health official Tuesday said that building medical service capacity, especially the medical capacity to treat patients with severe symptoms, remains crucial in China's fight against COVID-19.
- China stresses scientific, precise COVID-19 response: health official People's Daily 23 Nov 2022 -- A Chinese health official on Tuesday warned against any slackening in epidemic prevention and control and stressed science-based and precise COVID-19 response.
- Kinmen locals shocked by claims army colonel swore to surrender to China Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2022 -- A Taiwanese army colonel on the frontline island of Kinmen has been accused of pledging allegiance to China and even promising, on the record, to surrender in the event of a Chinese attack.
- Chinese spy case in Taiwan raises issue of reviving military trials CNA 23 Nov 2022 -- Scholars and lawmakers in Taiwan suggested on Tuesday that the government consider reinstating military trials during peacetime or amending laws to better deter military espionage after an Army colonel was indicted Tuesday for working for China.
- PLA Eastern Theater Command's J-10C fighters hold interception exercise in far sea, show growing skills, confidence Global Times 23 Nov 2022 -- Two J-10C fighters have conducted interception training in the far sea recently organized by the Eastern Theater Command of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), China Central Television reported.
- China's J-15 carrier-based fighter jet to get domestic engines: report Global Times 23 Nov 2022 -- A newly produced J-15 carrier-based fighter jet was fitted with what seems to be a pair of China's domestically developed engines, according to an official media report on Wednesday, which marked the 10th anniversary of the aircraft's first takeoff and landing on the Liaoning, China's first aircraft carrier.
- Chinese defense minister speaks at 9th ADMM-Plus in Cambodia PLA Daily 23 Nov 2022 -- The ninth ASEAN Defense Ministers' Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus) was held in Siem Reap, Cambodia, on Wednesday. Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe attended the meeting and made a speech.
- China's Foreign Ministry blasts NATO for setting up 'gang' rules, meddling in others' affairs Global Times 23 Nov 2022 -- It is not in the rights of NATO to act beyond its authority and seek breakthroughs by establishing its own "gang" rules, China's Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Beijing: NATO Must Stay Within Geographic Boundaries Sputnik 23 Nov 2022 -- NATO must stay within its geographic boundaries and not exceed the alliance's authority by imposing its own rules on other states as it has been trying to do since the end of the Cold War, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Wednesday.
- Chinese Refugees in Italy Wary of Beijing Outposts VOA 23 Nov 2022 -- Chinese refugees in Italy, some of whom are dissidents, are increasingly wary of the presence of what appear to be four outposts of Beijing's security apparatus operating without official diplomatic trappings, according to experts.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on November 23, 2022 PRC MofA 23 Nov 2022
- China ready to create a security environment for the prosperity of all countries in South Pacific region: minister Global Times 23 Nov 2022 -- China and some South Pacific countries on Tuesday held their first minister-level dialogue on law enforcement and police cooperation via video, during which Chinese officials said that China stands ready to work with other parties to jointly foster this mechanism to create a security environment for the prosperity, stability and development for all countries in the region.
- HK starts nomination of NPC deputies; clear political atmosphere ensures SAR better represented in national democratic structure Global Times 23 Nov 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Wednesday started nominating candidates as deputies to the 14th National People's Congress (NPC), China's top legislature, and the voting date was set on December 15.
- China appears to ease up on Islamic worship in Xinjiang, but Uyghurs aren't buying it Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2022 -- Most Uyghurs in Xinjiang have not returned to mosques that Chinese authorities have reopened for limited religious services in response to heavy international criticism of repressive policies targeting the mostly Muslim ethnic group, sources inside and outside the country say.
- Mass protests break out at Hon Hai plant in Zhengzhou: Reports CNA 23 Nov 2022 -- Thousands of workers at the Taiwan-based Hon Hai Precision Industry Co.'s plant in Zhengzhou, China are engaged in a tense standoff with police amid street protests over withheld severance pay, according to videos seen by CNA Wednesday.
- Workers clash with police as hundreds protest at iPhone plant in China Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2022 -- Workers clashed with authorities at Taiwan-invested iPhone maker Foxconn in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou Wednesday, as hundreds of laborers staged a protest over delayed bonus payments amid mounting anger at China's zero-COVID policy.
- Serbia's Legal Tug-Of-War Over Chinese Surveillance Technology (Part 2) RFE/RL 23 Nov 2022 -- As hundreds of thousands of people filled the streets across Serbia in late 2021 to protest weak environmental standards and changes in the law to the benefit of a foreign company's plan to mine lithium, images began circulating that alarmed activists and tapped into a multiyear political fight over the expansion of Chinese surveillance technology.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list