Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 November 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China announces easing of COVID lockdowns in Tibet, but little change on the ground Radio Free Asia 18 Nov 2022 -- Chinese authorities in Tibet's regional capital of Lhasa have announced a partial easing of restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19, allowing some residents to return to work, but local sources say little has changed.
- Beijing's most populous district advises residents to stay put during weekend to curb COVID spike Global Times 18 Nov 2022 -- Beijing's daily number of COVID-19 infections has exceeded 400 and the rate is growing, said officials at a press conference on epidemic prevention and control on Friday. Chaoyang district, the worst-hit and also the most populous district in the city, advised residents to stay put during the weekend and not leave the area unless necessary.
- China pledges to implement optimized COVID-19 response measures People's Daily 18 Nov 2022 -- China will faithfully implement its optimized COVID-19 response measures in a science-based and targeted manner, said a spokesperson with the National Health Commission (NHC) on Thursday.
- Marcos, Xi discuss maritime disputes during first face-to-face meeting Radio Free Asia 18 Nov 2022 -- Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping agreed during their first-ever meeting that South China Sea disputes should not narrowly define the bilateral relationship, officials said Friday.
- Shenzhou-14 taikonauts complete 5.5-hour spacewalk People's Daily 18 Nov 2022 -- The Shenzhou-14 crew on board the orbiting Chinese Tiangong space station completed their third spacewalk at 4:50 p.m. (Beijing Time) on Thursday, according to the China Manned Space Agency.
- China, Indonesia eye to strengthen military cooperation PLA Daily 18 Nov 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe met here with Indonesian Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto on November 18, 2022.
- Chinese defense minister meets Singapore counterpart PLA Daily 18 Nov 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe met with Singapore Defense Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen in Xi'an City, northwest China's Shaanxi Province, on November 18, 2022.
- Senior officials meeting of Second China-Africa Peace and Security Forum held in Beijing PLA Daily 18 Nov 2022 -- Sponsored by China's Ministry of National Defense and hosted by the PLA National Defense University, on November 17,the senior officials meeting of the Second China-Africa Peace and Security Forum was held in Beijing via video link.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on November 18, 2022 PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022
- President Xi Jinping Attends the 29th APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting and Delivers Important Remarks PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022 -- On the morning of 18 November local time, the 29th APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting was held at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center in Bangkok, Thailand. President Xi Jinping attended the meeting and delivered important remarks entitled "Shouldering Responsibility and Working Together in Solidarity to Build an Asia-Pacific Community with a Shared Future".
- Shouldering Responsibility and Working Together in Solidarity To Build an Asia-Pacific Community with a Shared Future PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022 -- Remarks by H.E. Xi Jinping, President of the People's Republic of China
- Xi calls for solidarity to build Asia-Pacific community with shared future PLA Daily 18 Nov 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday stressed the need to follow the spirit of the Asia-Pacific family, look after one another like passengers in the same boat, and steadily move toward an Asia-Pacific community with a shared future.
- Xi says China committed to building Asia-Pacific community with shared future People's Daily 18 Nov 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping underscored on Thursday that China is committed to promoting the building of an Asia-Pacific community with a shared future, and will do more to enhance the stability and prosperity of the Asia-Pacific.
- Xi-Kishida Meeting Leaves Tough Issues Unresolved VOA 18 Nov 2022 -- The leaders of China and Japan agreed to resume high-level dialogue and increase exchanges on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Bangkok this week, but experts are questioning how much progress the two made in easing the longstanding friction between their countries.
- China and Japan Reach a Five-point Consensus on Stabilizing and Developing Bilateral Relations PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022 -- On November 17, 2022 local time, President Xi Jinping met with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in Bangkok, Thailand. The teams of the two sides conducted consultations and reached a five-point common understanding on stabilizing and developing bilateral relations:
- President Xi Jinping Meets with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022
- China-Japan ties should be on strategic height, meets the demands of the new era: Xi Global Times 18 Nov 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida for the first time on Thursday in Thailand on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) leaders' meeting, during which Xi said China is ready to work with Japan to grasp the general direction of bilateral relations from a strategic height and build a China-Japan relationship that meets the demands of the new era.
- China, Japan reach consensus on stabilizing, developing bilateral ties People's Daily 18 Nov 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met here with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on Thursday and the two sides reached a five-point consensus on stabilizing and developing bilateral relations.
- President Xi Jinping Meets with Chilean President Gabriel Boric PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022
- President Xi Jinping Meets with Prime Minister ofâ€‚Papua New Guinea James Marape PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022
- President Xi Jinping Meets withâ€‚New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022
- China willing to coordinate with New Zealand for stability in Pacific islands region: Xi Global Times 18 Nov 2022 -- China is willing to coordinate closely with New Zealand to jointly promote peace, stability, development and prosperity in the Pacific island countries region, Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Friday during his meeting with New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, while also highly praising Ardern's repeated remarks on the country's adherence to an independent foreign policy.
- President Xi Jinping Meets with Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei Darussalam PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022
- President Xi Jinping Meets with Singaporeanâ€‚Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022
- President Xi Jinping Meets withâ€‚Philippine President Ferdinand Romualdez Marcos Jr. PRC MofA 18 Nov 2022
- China Calls for Dialogue on Korean Peninsula After North's New Missile Launch Sputnik 18 Nov 2022 -- China hopes South Korea and North Korea will make efforts to find a negotiated solution to tensions on the peninsula, stirred earlier in the day by a new missile launch by Pyongyang, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning said on Friday.
- COP27: How China and Africa Fit in Debate Over 'Loss and Damage' Fund VOA 18 Nov 2022 -- At COP27, the United Nations climate change conference held in Egypt this month, China has figured prominently in a debate between Africa and Western nations over financial help to developing countries suffering the effects of climate change.
- China uses carrots and sticks to boost Uyghur-Han intermarriage: report Radio Free Asia 18 Nov 2022 -- China mixes financial, education and career incentives with coercive measures such as threats to families under state policies to promote intermarriage between majority Han Chinese and ethnic minority Uyghurs in the restive Xinjiang region, a new report by a Uyghur rights group has found.
- China sees 'daily protests' despite widespread state surveillance, controls: report Radio Free Asia 18 Nov 2022 -- People in China frequently challenge those in power, despite a nationwide 'stability maintenance' program aimed at nipping popular protest in the bid, according to the U.S.-based think tank Freedom House.
- Protests, Online Dissent Daily Occurrence in China, Report Says VOA 18 Nov 2022 -- China's zero-COVID policy prompted hundreds of Chinese citizens to march in the streets in Guangzhou this week after hearing that ongoing lockdowns had been extended.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list