Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 November 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Strict COVID prevention and control must be combined with optimized measures; 'strenuous efforts on both': Chinese authorities Global Times 12 Nov 2022 -- The roll-out of 20 measures to optimize COVID-19 response is a decision based on scientific evidence and does not mean loosening prevention and control against the virus, still less a lift of COVID-19 restrictions or "lying flat" in the fight against the epidemic, Chinese government officials stressed on Saturday, noting that strict epidemic prevention and control must be comined with optimized measures, and that "strenuous efforts must be put on both."
- China releases measures to optimize COVID-19 response People's Daily 12 Nov 2022 -- The Chinese government on Friday released a circular on further optimizing the COVID-19 response, announcing 20 prevention and control measures.
- Chinese mainland reports 1,452 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Nov 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Friday reported 1,452 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- China ends COVID flight suspensions leading to spike in intl flight searches and pushing up stock markets Global Times 12 Nov 2022 -- China ends COVID flight suspensions on Friday, immediately triggering a spike in searches for international flights to their highest level in a year, reflecting massive pent up demand.
- China optimizes anti-epidemic measures, shortens quarantine period for intl arrivals Global Times 12 Nov 2022 -- China made its latest move in scientific and precise epidemic control and prevention work to fight the COVID-19 epidemic amid a global resurgence by releasing 20 optimized measures on Friday. These include shortened quarantine periods for international arrivals and cancelation of circuit breakers for inbound flights in order to better carry out scientific and precise epidemic control and prevention work under the dynamic zero-COVID strategy while adapting the strategy to the latest global pandemic situation and the characteristics of the virus in a timely manner.
- MND declines to comment on rumored Chinese destroyer standoff CNA 12 Nov 2022 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) Saturday declined to comment on the authenticity of an audio recording of an apparent confrontation between a Republic of China (Taiwan) Navy vessel and a Chinese navy destroyer off eastern Taiwan.
- 10 Chinese planes cross Taiwan Strait median line CNA 12 Nov 2022 -- A total of 10 Chinese warplanes crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait Saturday, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Mainland spokesperson rebukes DPP for trading public interests for external support People's Daily 12 Nov 2022 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Friday rebuked Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authorities for their trading of the public interests of Taiwan people for external support.
- US urged to take concrete moves to build guardrails, not play 'Taiwan card' ahead of Xi-Biden meeting at G20 Global Times 12 Nov 2022 -- The world has been paying close attention to the upcoming meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and US President Joe Biden in Bali, Indonesia on Monday, as many observers see it as an opportunity for the two countries to ease strained relations, while Chinese analysts urged the Biden administration to stop playing the Taiwan card and making further provocations, and take tangible measures to build guardrails for China-US relations.
- China achieves two-hour ultrafast rendezvous in Tianzhou-5 cargo supply mission, setting new world record, laying ground for crewed mission application Global Times 12 Nov 2022 -- Tianzhou-5 cargo spacecraft smoothly docked with the China's T-Shape Tiangong Space Station about only two hours after being launched earlier from Wenchang Space Launch Site in South China's Hainan Province, marking a new record of the world's fastest launching to docking feat in space for a spacecraft, and showcasing the China speed once again.
- China's cargo craft Tianzhou-5 docks with space station combination People's Daily 12 Nov 2022 -- China's cargo spacecraft Tianzhou-5, delivering supplies for the space station, conducted a fast automated rendezvous and docking with the combination of the space station Tiangong on Saturday, according to the China Manned Space Agency.
- China Successfully Launches Tianzhou-5 Cargo Ship to Tiangong Space Station Sputnik 12 Nov 2022 -- China successfully launched Tianzhou-5 unmanned cargo spacecraft, which is expected to dock with Tiangong space station and conduct a resupply mission, the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA) said on Saturday.
- China launches cargo craft Tianzhou-5 for space station supplies People's Daily 12 Nov 2022 -- China launched cargo spacecraft Tianzhou-5 on Saturday to deliver supplies for the country's space station, the construction of which is expected to be completed this year.
- China launches Tianzhou-5 cargo spacecraft to ferry goods to T-shape space station combination Global Times 12 Nov 2022 -- China successfully launched Tianzhou-5 cargo spacecraft into preset orbit to ferry supplies to the China's Space Station, via a Long March-7 carrier rocket from Wenchang Space Launch Site in South China's Hainan Province, marking the first launch mission to the Tiangong Space Station after the completion of the T-shape assembly of the country's first-ever permanent space station.
- China debuts container-type missile launch system; weapon can 'effectively improve defense capabilities of coastal countries' Global Times 12 Nov 2022 -- China's leading missile developer exhibited a container-type sea defense combat system at the ongoing Airshow China in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province, which could effectively improve the defense capabilities of coastal countries for its outstanding mobility and capability to disguise itself.
- Biden to warn of bigger US military presence in South Korea Press TV 12 Nov 2022 -- US President Joe Biden aims to tell Chinese President Xi Jinping that the military threat posed by North Korea requires American forces to have a bolder presence on the Korean Peninsula, the White House has said.
- Chinese premier calls for strengthening China-ASEAN ties Global Times 12 Nov 2022 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Friday attended the 25th China-ASEAN Summit, during which he called for enhancing cooperation with ASEAN countries, and jointly maintaining regional peace and stability.
- Well-heeled Chinese plan to flee amid COVID lockdowns, economic shift Radio Free Asia 12 Nov 2022 -- A growing share of wealthy and middle class Chinese are making plans to leave the country, citing the government's stringent zero-COVID policies and a perceived return to the planned economy of the Mao era under leader Xi Jinping, according to online data and Chinese nationals with experience of the phenomenon.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list