Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 October 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports 214 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Oct 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 214 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Shanghai district locked down amid COVID-19 surges in dozens of Chinese cities Radio Free Asia 28 Oct 2022 -- Authorities in Shanghai on Friday ordered more than a million of its residents into lockdown and mass testing, amid reports that some 200 million people are currently under some form of pandemic-related restrictions affecting their daily lives due to Chinese leader Xi Jinping's zero-COVID policy.
- Rare Protests in Tibet Over COVID Lockdown VOA 28 Oct 2022 -- Residents in Tibet's regional capital of Lhasa took to the streets to protest harsh COVID-19 measures, a rare demonstration in the heavily policed city.
- Philippine lawmakers want to designate inter-island sea lanes amid Chinese incursions Radio Free Asia 28 Oct 2022 -- At least three Philippine lawmakers want to designate sea lanes between the country's islands where foreign ships would be allowed to travel, amid the continued presence of Chinese vessels in Manila's waters and adjacent territorial sea.
- U.S. reaffirms support for Taiwan's defense in DoD report CNA 28 Oct 2022 -- The United States will continue to support Taiwan's efforts to develop asymmetric defense capabilities consistent with the evolving Chinese threat, the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) said in its 2022 National Defense Strategy (NDS) released Thursday.
- Military conflict not option for resolving cross-strait differences: MAC CNA 28 Oct 2022 -- Military confrontation is never a good option for resolving differences between Taiwan and China, Minister of Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Chiu Tai-san (é‚±å¤ªä¸‰) said Friday while urging Beijing to look at the issue with a fresh perspective.
- Taiwan condemns Putin for claim it belongs to PRC CNA 28 Oct 2022 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Friday strongly condemned and protested remarks by Russian President Vladimir Putin that Taiwan is part of the People's Republic of China (PRC).
- Central Military Commission holds executive meeting on studying Party congress guiding principles PLA Daily 28 Oct 2022 -- The Central Military Commission (CMC) on Thursday held an executive meeting on studying and implementing the guiding principles of the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- 42nd Chinese naval escort taskforce completes first escort mission PLA Daily 28 Oct 2022 -- The 42nd Chinese naval escort taskforce successfully completed its first escort mission under independent command in certain waters of the Gulf of Aden on October 25 local time.
- Xi Jinping stresses comprehensively studying, understanding and implementing spirit of 20th CPC National Congress People's Daily 28 Oct 2022 -- The first group study session of the Political Bureau of the 20th Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee was held on the afternoon of October 25, focusing on the study and implementation of the spirit of the 20th CPC National Congress. Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee, presided over the session.
- Xi stresses striving in unity to fulfill goals set by Party congress People's Daily 28 Oct 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Thursday stressed promoting the great founding spirit of the Party and the spirit of Yan'an, and striving in unity to fulfill the goals and tasks set by the 20th CPC National Congress.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 28, 2022 PRC MofA 28 Oct 2022
- Pentagon's strategy hypes 'China threat' in tough rhetoric to save waning hegemony Global Times 28 Oct 2022 -- Hyping the increasing "security challenge" and "threats" from China, the Pentagon released the Biden administration's national defense strategy on Thursday, which Chinese experts viewed as a product of fear and filled with Cold War mentality that damages world peace and stability.
- National Defense Strategy says China is the biggest challenge to the US Radio Free Asia 28 Oct 2022 -- The U.S. Defense Department has released its long-awaited 2022 National Defense Strategy, identifying China as "the overall pacing challenge" while Russia remains an "acute threat" to the United States.
- China and Russia reaffirm deepened relations at all levels, 'embodiment of major-country diplomacy' Global Times 28 Oct 2022 -- China and Russia vowed to deepen bilateral relations at all levels, following the conclusion of the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) and amid the US' heightened pressure on the two countries. Chinese observers said that China-Russia relations, which set a very prominent and positive example for establishing mutually beneficial cooperation between major countries, drive the world toward a more just, effective and multipolar global order, and the deepened cooperation between the two countries also contributes to the decline of US hegemony.
- Portugal joins global probe into illegal Chinese police stations Radio Free Asia 28 Oct 2022 -- Portugal became the latest nation to open a probe into allegations that China has been running "illegal police stations" in the country just as Ireland ordered Beijing to shut down its "overseas Chinese police service center" in Dublin.
- Top Vietnamese leader heading to China on Sunday to meet Xi Radio Free Asia 28 Oct 2022 -- Vietnam's top leader Nguyen Phu Trong will travel to China on Sunday to visit President Xi Jinping, the first foreign leader to do so since Xi's re-election to a third five-year term last weekend.
- Investors will regret selling yuan to buy other currencies: official Global Times 28 Oct 2022 -- The long-term strengthening trend of the yuan will not change, and people will regret dumping China's currency and buying foreign exchange, an official from the banking regulator said on Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list