Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 October 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese local govts endeavor to address public concerns amid widening COVID outbreak Global Times 27 Oct 2022 -- Winter comes, not only bringing cold air across China, but also sparking a new wave of COVID-19 flare-ups in multiple provinces and regions with more than 1,000 new cases reported on Thursday nationwide for a third straight day, which triggered affected areas to double down on measures in an attempt to bring the outbreaks under control as soon as possible.
- Protests spread in Lhasa over COVID-19 restrictions Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2022 -- Protests over COVID-19 restrictions in the Tibetan capital Lhasa spread to at least four different areas of the city Thursday, prompting "scuffles" with authorities in some cases, sources told Radio Free Asia, as ethnic Chinese migrant workers demanded permits to return home from the region.
- Chinese mainland reports 193 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Oct 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 193 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Defense ministry urges Japan to honor political commitments, refrain from interfering in Taiwan question as Tokyo eyes revising national security strategy Global Times 27 Oct 2022 -- China's Ministry of National Defense on Thursday urged Japan to honor its political commitments, refrain from interfering in the Taiwan question, and stop playing up the so-called China military threat after the Japanese government was reported to be considering hyping the Taiwan question in its National Security Strategy, which is likely to be revised by the end of 2022.
- Mainland spokesperson warns against attempts to pursue "Taiwan independence" People's Daily 27 Oct 2022 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Wednesday called on Taiwan compatriots to guard against moves by Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authorities to prepare ground for seeking "Taiwan independence"
- Defense spokesperson expresses opposition to US arms sales rumors PLA Daily 27 Oct 2022 -- China firmly opposes the United States' recent actions which have "again and again violated its commitment" of not supporting "Taiwan independence", a Defense Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.
- Chinese Defense Ministry Says Any Attempt to Prevent Taiwan-China Reunification Will Fail Sputnik 27 Oct 2022 -- Any attempt to prevent Taiwan's reunification with mainland China will fail, Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman Tan Kefei said on Thursday, urging the United States to stop its arms supplies to the island.
- 90% of Taiwanese reject China's threat of force: Survey CNA 27 Oct 2022 -- Nearly 90 percent of people in Taiwan expressed opposition to a declaration by Chinese President Xi Jinping (ç¿’è¿‘å¹³) that China will never renounce the use of force against Taiwan, a poll conducted by the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) found Thursday.
- PLA Navy's newly commissioned frigate Ziyang makes training debut Global Times 27 Oct 2022 -- The Type 054A frigate Ziyang of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy recently made its training debut, with observers saying on Wednesday that the newly commissioned warship will enhance the PLA Navy's capabilities.
- Full text of Constitution of Communist Party of China PLA Daily 27 Oct 2022
- Xi leads CPC leadership to old revolutionary base People's Daily 27 Oct 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, led members of the Standing Committee of the CPC Central Committee Political Bureau on Thursday to visit Yan'an, an old revolutionary base in northwest China's Shaanxi Province.
- Charter amendments turn Chinese Communist Party into a 'gang' led by Xi, analysts say Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2022 -- Amendments to the Chinese Communist Party charter have transformed the ruling party from an organization for political cooperation to a "gang" led by general secretary Xi Jinping, analysts told RFA.
- Analysts Discuss China Coup That Wasn't VOA 27 Oct 2022 -- Premier Li Keqiang and Wang Yang, both of whom were unceremoniously dropped from the top leadership at last week's Chinese Communist Party Congress, have something else in common.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on October 27, 2022 PRC MofA 27 Oct 2022
- US should dispel negative factors hindering China-US military relations: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Oct 2022 -- "China attaches great importance to the mil-to-mil relations with the US and is willing to conduct communication between the two militaries, which, however, must comply with certain principles and bottom lines," said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND) at a regular press conference in Beijing on Thursday.
- Defense ministry slams US report criticizing PLA development PLA Daily 27 Oct 2022 -- The United States' newly released National Security Strategy, which discussed challenges with China and questioned the normal development of the Chinese military, is the result of misunderstanding of China-US relations and the miscalculation of China's development, a spokesman for the Defense Ministry said on Thursday.
- Pentagon Publishes New National Defense Strategy Aimed at 'Integrated Deterrence' of China, Russia Sputnik 27 Oct 2022 -- The US Department of Defense has published its first National Defense Strategy (NDS) in almost five years, combining them with two other documents typically issued separately: the Nuclear Posture Review and the Missile Defense Review. The public-facing documents outline Washington's strategic focus under the Biden administration.
- China Remains Top Threat in New National Defense Strategy VOA 27 Oct 2022 -- China remains the top challenge to U.S. national security interests, while Russia remains an "acute" threat as it continues its brutal war in Ukraine, according to the Pentagon's newly released National Defense Strategy.
- U.S. official: Key allies will adopt China chip-export bans Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2022 -- A multilateral deal to extend a U.S. ban to China of exporting technologies used to make cutting-edge microchips will be inked "in the near term," a U.S. Commerce Department official said on Thursday.
- President Xi: China willing to work with US to 'find ways to get along' Press TV 27 Oct 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping says his country is willing to work with the United States to "find ways to get along," despite a new strategy by Washington to take on Beijing in full force.
- China Ready to 'Coexist Peacefully' With US Despite Being Labelled 'Greatest Political Challenge' Sputnik 27 Oct 2022 -- As tensions mount between Beijing and Washington, the Chinese Foreign Ministry called on the United States to stop spreading the outdated theory of a Chinese threat and urged that China be seen as a partner for mutually beneficial cooperation.
- Xi Jinping Sends Congratulatory Message to the Annual Gala Dinner of the National Committee on US-China Relations PRC MofA 27 Oct 2022 -- On October 26, 2022, President Xi Jinping sent a congratulatory message to the annual Gala Dinner of the National Committee on United States-China Relations.
- Chinese and Russian defense ministers hold phone talks: Defense spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Oct 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe recently had a telephone conversation with Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu, said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday. According to the spokesperson, the two sides exchanged views on international and regional issues of common concern.
- China willing to expand relations with Russia: Chinese FM Press TV 27 Oct 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi has said Beijing is willing to deepen its relationship with Russia at all levels as both countries forge closer political and economic ties in the face of Western sanctions.
- China-Backed AIIB Pledges $100 Million for Cash-Strapped Sri Lanka Sputnik 27 Oct 2022 -- An acute foreign exchange crisis, triggered by financial mismanagement and COVID-19 induced lockdowns, has left Sri Lanka without fuel, fertilizers, and medicine. The country of 22 million people is still facing shortages of essential commodities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list