Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 October 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports 173 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Oct 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 173 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- CPC amends its constitution to adopt a more aggressive Chinese policy towards Taiwan Radio Free Asia 24 Oct 2022 -- The Taiwanese government has condemned Beijing's "old mindset" after the Communist Party of China (CPC) passed a constitutional amendment vowing its goal of "fully, faithfully, and resolutely implementing the policy of One Country, Two Systems."
- Xi's consolidation of power presages tougher stance on Taiwan: lawmakers CNA 24 Oct 2022 -- The installation of loyalists to Xi Jinping (ç¿’è¿‘å¹³) in China's top governing body means Beijing is likely to adopt more hardline policies on Taiwan, with deeper personal involvement from Xi himself, according to Taiwanese legislators.
- Two Arrested and 13 Charged in Three Separate Cases for Alleged Participation in Malign Schemes in the United States on Behalf of the Government of the People's Republic of China US Dept. of Justice 24 Oct 2022 -- In three separate cases in the U.S. Attorneys' Offices for the Eastern District of New York and the District of New Jersey, the Justice Department has charged 13 individuals, including members of the People's Republic of China (PRC) security and intelligence apparatus and their agents, for alleged efforts to unlawfully exert influence in the United States for the benefit of the government of the PRC.
- Deputy Attorney General Lisa O. Monaco Delivers Remarks on Malign Schemes in the United States on Behalf of the Government of the People's Republic of China US Dept. of Justice 24 Oct 2022
- Assistant Attorney General for National Security Matthew G. Olsen Delivers Remarks on Malign Schemes in the United States on Behalf of the Government of the People's Republic of China (PRC) US Dept. of Justice 24 Oct 2022
- Attorney General Merrick B. Garland Delivers Remarks on Malign Schemes in the United States on Behalf of the Government of the People's Republic of China US Dept. of Justice 24 Oct 2022
- US Charges 2 Chinese Agents With Obstructing Huawei Investigation VOA 24 Oct 2022 -- U.S. law enforcement officials on Monday unsealed charges against two Chinese intelligence officers accused of attempting to obstruct the Justice Department's criminal prosecution of Chinese telecom giant Huawei Technologies.
- U.S. indicts five alleged Chinese spies Radio Free Asia 24 Oct 2022 -- Five alleged Chinese intelligence officials have been indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice in two separate cases, one of which reportedly involves an ongoing criminal investigation into Chinese telecoms giant Huawei, according to indictments unsealed on Monday.
- DOJ Charges 12 People With Criminal Actions Taken in the US Under Chinese Government Orders Sputnik 24 Oct 2022 -- In a Monday press conference, US Attorney General Merrick Garland announced three new federal cases against 13 individuals, 12 of whom are accused of being Chinese government agents.
- Chinese experts warn of threats from US B-21, B-52 bombers Global Times 24 Oct 2022 -- The US made high-profile announcements over the past week on two of its strategic bombers, the fully upgraded B-52 and the brand new B-21, with Chinese experts saying on Monday that the duo are likely to become the US Air Force's core strategic strike force in the next few decades, and China should be prepared to counter the planes and also learn from them.
- Xi stresses implementing guiding principles of key Party congress in armed forces PLA Daily 24 Oct 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Monday instructed the armed forces to study, publicize and implement the guiding principles of the 20th CPC National Congress, and strive to achieve the goal set for the centenary of the People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- Xi Jinping Begins Third Term as China's Leader, Picks Loyalists VOA 24 Oct 2022 -- After 10 years of China's Xi Jinping leadership, the prospect of five more years under his rule, with a new team of top leaders believed to be handpicked by him, is frowned upon by some people, but welcomed by others.
- China's Xi 'more powerful than Mao,' will abandon market reforms, analysts say Radio Free Asia 24 Oct 2022 -- Ruling Chinese Communist Party leader Xi Jinping's next five years will likely see more hard-line policies out of Beijing on the economy, foreign relations, human rights and public dissent, analysts told RFA.
- China censors searches for 'Hu Jintao,' the former president removed from congress Radio Free Asia 24 Oct 2022 -- Chinese government censors on Monday limited keyword searches for former president Hu Jintao, who was unceremoniously removed from the ruling Chinese Communist Party congress over the weekend.
- New CPC central leadership set for new journey Global Times 24 Oct 2022 -- Xi Jinping was elected general secretary of the 20th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) at the committee's first plenary session held on Sunday, according to the communique of the plenary session.
- CPC unveils new top leadership for new journey toward modernization People's Daily 24 Oct 2022 -- The Communist Party of China (CPC) on Sunday unveiled its new top leadership, which will lead the world's most populous nation on its new journey toward a great modern socialist country in all respects.
- Communique of 1st plenum of 20th CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection issued People's Daily 24 Oct 2022 -- The communique of the first plenary session of the 20th Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI) of the Communist Party of China (CPC) was issued on Sunday.
- Communique of the first plenary session of the 20th CPC Central Committee People's Daily 24 Oct 2022 -- The following is the full text of the communique of the first plenary session of the 20th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China:
- China's top disciplinary watchdog vows to bar officials from serving as proxies for interest groups' Global Times 24 Oct 2022 -- At a news conference to interpret the report on the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC), officials reiterated that the scourge of corruption could wreck the Party if not properly addressed, and they doubled down on the importance of fighting corruption in the future, saying that a high-handed posture on the issue should not be changed, and officials should be barred from serving as proxies for interest and power groups.
- New watchdog elected in anti-corruption fight People's Daily 24 Oct 2022 -- The 20th Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of the Communist Party of China, the Party's top discipline and anti-corruption watchdog, elected its new leadership at its first plenary session on Sunday as Li Xi was elected its secretary.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 24, 2022 PRC MofA 24 Oct 2022
- US Officials In Talks With Chinese Tech Firm Naura Over New Export Restrictions - Reports Sputnik 24 Oct 2022 -- US trade officials began talks with executives of the Chinese tech firm Naura Technology Group about the Biden administration's latest export restrictions on high-tech semiconductor chips and other related equipment, the South China Morning Post reported on Monday citing a a person familiar with the matter.
- Iranian President stresses on all-round deepening of ties with China based on mutual interests, respect ISNA 24 Oct 2022 -- In a message congratulating Chinese President Xi Jinping on the new term of the Chinese presidency, Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi stated, "The realization of the goals of the comprehensive strategic partnership between Iran and China provides a model of comprehensive development of relations based on mutual interests and respect".
- China, Vatican extend agreement on bishop appointment for another two years, FM spokesperson confirms Global Times 24 Oct 2022 -- After friendly negotiation, China and the Vatican have agreed to extend the provisional agreement on the appointment of bishops for another two years, a spokesperson of China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed on Monday.
- Argentina, China Discuss Railway Construction Projects - President's Office Sputnik 24 Oct 2022 -- Argentine President Alberto Fernandez discussed with a Chinese company the construction of railways in a number of Argentine provinces, the president's office said on Monday.
- China doubles indirect oil imports from sanctioned countries in September Press TV 24 Oct 2022 -- China's customs office data have pointed to a major increase in the country's indirect oil imports from countries under US sanctions in September.
- China's real estate shows sign of improvement after months of contraction Global Times 24 Oct 2022 -- China's real estate sector has likely bottomed out, industry analysts said on Monday, after new data showed that the pace of housing sales decline has slowed.
- Q3 growth beats forecast, shows China's economy on firm ground for faster recovery Global Times 24 Oct 2022 -- China's economy picked up in an all-around way in the third quarter, with its GDP surging by an above-expected rate of 3.9 percent, data from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) showed on Monday, as the world's second largest economy is on track for a steady rebound under the government's supportive policies and orderly management of the COVID-19 prevention and control.
- Stock Market Sell-Off Greets China's New Top Leadership VOA 24 Oct 2022 -- Chinese stock markets experienced one of the worst routs in years on Monday, as investors reacted to the news that Chinese President Xi Jinping had not only won a third five-year term in office but had stacked the most senior levels of the government exclusively with individuals loyal to him and his ideology.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list