Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 October 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports 208 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 208 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Intruding 'first strike' PLA aircraft could be downed: Minister CNA 18 Oct 2022 -- Defense Minister Chiu Kuo-cheng (é‚±åœ‹æ£) said Tuesday that current procedures allowed for the shooting down of People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft deemed to have made a "first strike" by breaching Taiwan's territorial airspace.
- Blinken: China speeding up plans for takeover of Taiwan Radio Free Asia 18 Oct 2022 -- Recent tensions over Taiwan are due to a change in approach from Beijing, which is pursuing its goal of "reunification on a much faster timeline," U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Monday.
- US believes China will now move to seize Taiwan 'much faster' Press TV 18 Oct 2022 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says Beijing aims to seize Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) "on a much faster timeline" than previously considered.
- Disruption of Taiwan chip industry would cause economic crisis: Blinken CNA 18 Oct 2022 -- Countries around the world have a stake in maintaining peace and security in the Taiwan Strait as any disruption of Taiwanese semiconductor production would lead to a global economic crisis, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Monday.
- Peaceful reunification remains first choice, US should honor its commitment not to support 'Taiwan independence': Chinese FM Global Times 18 Oct 2022 -- In response to US Secretary of State Antony Blinken's Taiwan-related remarks, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said on Tuesday that peaceful reunification remains the first choice of the Communist Party of China and the Chinese government to resolve the Taiwan question, while the US has repeatedly violated its commitment to recognize the principle that there is only one China in the world and the island of Taiwan is part of China.
- Xi to polarize, prepare for war with Taiwan unification: Analysts CNA 18 Oct 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping (ç¿’è¿‘å¹³) will dial up efforts to polarize Taiwanese society in favor of cross-Taiwan Strait unification and is prepared to go to war if necessary, a group of political analysts said Tuesday.
- UK May Prosecute Former Military Pilots Training Chinese Officers - Defense Ministry Sputnik 18 Oct 2022 -- The United Kingdom warns of the risk of prosecution former UK military pilots that train Chinese servicemen and sees the practice as undermining the UK's defense advantage, the defense ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.
- UK to Change Law to Prevent Ex-RAF Pilots From Being 'Recruited' to Train Chinese Military Sputnik 18 Oct 2022 -- Earlier, UK officials expressed "concern and disapproval" amid reports that some former RAF pilots were being offered up to $270,000 to teach the Chinese military about "the capabilities" of the Royal Air Force.
- Former UK Military Pilots Reportedly Being 'Headhunted' by Chinese Military Sputnik 18 Oct 2022 -- China's President Xi Jinping has been eyeing a "modernization" of the People's Liberation Army by 2035. On Sunday, the Chinese leader promised to "never renounce the use of force" in his quest for "peaceful" reunification with Taiwan.
- Xi Tells 20th Party Congress China Needs to Boost 'Strategic Deterrence' Amid Nuclear Buildup Sputnik 18 Oct 2022 -- Alongside India, China is one of two nations to maintain a "no first use" policy regarding nuclear weapons. The country largely dodged the massive nuclear buildup of the Cold War, having already broken with the Soviet Union by the time it became a nuclear power and orienting itself toward non-alignment.
- Presidium of 20th CPC National Congress holds second meeting PRC MofA 18 Oct 2022 -- The presidium of the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) held its second meeting at the Great Hall of the People on the afternoon of October 18.
- Xi chairs 2nd meeting of 20th CPC National Congress presidium Global Times 18 Oct 2022 -- The presidium of the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) held its second meeting on Tuesday afternoon. Xi Jinping presided over the meeting.
- Xi Jinping attends group discussion with delegates from Guangxi to 20th CPC National Congress People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- Comrade Xi Jinping on October 17 joined a group discussion with delegates from Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region who are attending the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC). During the discussion, he stressed that the report to the Party's 20th National Congress further charts the way forward for the cause of the Party and the country, and it will serve as a political manifesto and guide for our Party to unite and lead the Chinese people of all ethnic groups to uphold and develop socialism with Chinese characteristics on the new journey in the new era.
- Regional CCP chiefs pledge loyalty to Xi amid speculation over new leadership lineup Radio Free Asia 18 Oct 2022 -- Regional Chinese Communist Party (CCP) chiefs signed up to political mantras supporting Xi Jinping at the 20th party congress on Tuesday, discussing charter amendments that analysts said will likely bake in Xi's status as supreme leader of party and government.
- Leaders say report plays guiding role People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- Chinese leaders have hailed the report Xi Jinping delivered at the opening of the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China on Sunday, saying it plays a guiding role in leading the nation to build a modern socialist country in all respects and to advance national rejuvenation.
- 20th National Congress of Communist Party of China opens in Beijing, Xi Jinping delivers report to Congress on behalf of 19th CPC Central Committee People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- Strive in unity to lay out a new blueprint for national rejuvenation; make concerted efforts to create new historic achievements. The highly anticipated 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) opened on the morning of October 16 at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
- Major takeaways from Xi Jinping's report to 20th CPC National Congress People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- The following are major takeaways from Xi Jinping's report to the ongoing 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- Li Keqiang calls for forging ahead with concrete work toward building modern socialist China in all respects People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- Li Keqiang on Monday participated in a group discussion with delegates from northwest China's Gansu Province who are attending the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- Zhao Leji calls for pooling strength to implement strategic arrangements made at Party congress People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- Zhao Leji on Monday called for pooling strength to implement strategic arrangements laid out in a report of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) to the 20th CPC National Congress, when he joined delegates from north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region in discussing the report.
- Han Zheng stresses firmly advancing great rejuvenation of Chinese nation on all fronts People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- Han Zheng on Monday expressed full support for the report to the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC), delivered Sunday by Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee, on behalf of the 19th CPC Central Committee.
- Wang Yang calls for striving in unity to build modern socialist country in all respects People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- Wang Yang on Monday called for striving in unity and gathering strength to build a modern socialist country in all respects.
- Wang Huning stresses using congress spirit to build consensus, unity in action People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- Wang Huning on Monday stressed using the spirit of the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) to build consensus and unity in action for building a modern socialist country in all respects.
- Party's anti-graft efforts generate fruitful outcomes People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- The spread of corruption has been effectively contained in China as the Communist Party of China has made unprecedented efforts to tackle corruption in the past decade, senior Party officials said at a news conference on Monday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 18, 2022 PRC MofA 18 Oct 2022
- UK summons top Chinese diplomat over assault at Manchester consulate Radio Free Asia 18 Oct 2022 -- Britain's foreign secretary has urgently summoned a top Chinese diplomat in response to the assault of a man who was dragged into the Chinese Consulate in Manchester and beaten by a group of unidentified men during an altercation over a ripped protest banner, media reports said Tuesday.
- 20th CPC National Congress report concerning HK, Macao affairs a guideline for Hong Kong: Lee Ka-chiu Global Times 18 Oct 2022 -- Xi Jinping's report to the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) concerning Hong Kong, Macao affairs serves as a guideline for future actions of the special administrative region (SAR), chief executive of Hong Kong John Lee Ka-chiu said.
- China 'gutted' press freedom in Hong Kong, sparking exodus of journalists: report Radio Free Asia 18 Oct 2022 -- As ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping lauded his government for bringing "order from chaos" with a citywide crackdown on dissent in the wake of the 2019 protest movement, an international journalists' group said press freedom has been "gutted" in the former British colony.
- Case statistics show corruption effectively curbed, official says Global Times 18 Oct 2022 -- A Monday press briefing on the sidelines of the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) provided statistics that underlined how corruption has been effectively curbed and showed the Party's determination to continue its full, rigorous self-governance in the future.
- China's economy to gain new momentum from CPC congress People's Daily 18 Oct 2022 -- China's economic development is expected to gain new strong impetus from the 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- Many Chinese cities move to cut mortgage rates to below 4 percent in a bid to revive real estate sector Global Times 18 Oct 2022 -- Banks in several Chinese cities have made further cuts to mortgage rates for first-time home buyers to below 4 percent. Industry experts said that the market will see a faster recovery as pro-growth government measures start to take effect.
- Chinese economy sees 'noticeable rebound' in Q3, full policy implementation urged Global Times 18 Oct 2022 -- As the Chinese economy is returning to stable growth, efforts should be made to fully implement the package of stabilizing policies and keep the economy operating within a proper range, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Monday.
- BRI remains open, inclusive for all, transcends the outdated mentality of geopolitical games Global Times 18 Oct 2022 -- The China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) has already become a well-received international public good and an important platform for international cooperation, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said on Tuesday, in response to the Western claim that China is promoting the BRI out of geopolitical considerations.
- China bottom of internet freedom study for 8th straight year Radio Free Asia 18 Oct 2022 -- Global internet freedom declined again in 2022 for the 12th year in a row, with China remaining as the most restricted country for the 8th consecutive year, a new study has found.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list