Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 September 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China strengthens COVID-19 measures for upcoming holidays, likely to be adjusted by end-Oct Global Times 08 Sep 2022 -- China has strengthened a series of anti-epidemic measures including advising residents to stay put from September to late October, the National Health Commission (NHC) announced on Thursday, as frequent personnel flows and gatherings in the two upcoming holidays - the Mid-Autumn Festival and the National Day Holiday -- bring more risks of COVID-19 flare-ups. Afterwards, the tightened measures will be adjusted based on the epidemic situation, authorities said.
- China's dynamic zero-COVID policy aims to enhance capacity for epidemic prevention, early detection: official Global Times 08 Sep 2022 -- China's dynamic zero-COVID policy is aimed at improving the capability of epidemic prevention and control as well as early detection, so that infections can be found quickly and the epidemic can be controlled with the lowest social cost, an official said at a "China in the Past Decade" press conference on Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 241 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Sep 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 241 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 69 in Sichuan and 67 in Inner Mongolia, according to the National Health Commission's report Thursday.
- Joint Statement India PIB 08 Sep 2022 -- On 8th September 2022, according to the consensus reached in the 16th round of India China Corps Commander Level Meeting, the Indian and Chinese troops in the area of Gogra-Hotsprings (PP-15) have begun to disengage in a coordinated and planned way, which is conducive to the peace and tranquility in the border areas.
- Indian, Chinese troops disengaging from disputed Himalayan border Press TV 08 Sep 2022 -- Indian and Chinese troops have started disengaging from the border area in the western Himalayas, two years after clashes at the frontier strained diplomatic relations.
- India, China Break Border Deadlock as They Begin Withdrawing Troops From Contested Ladakh Sputnik 08 Sep 2022 -- The last disengagement of troops on the loosely demarcated Line of Actual Control (LAC) took place a year ago. Delhi and Beijing have held more than half a dozen military and diplomatic talks following clashes on the border in 2020 that resulted in 20 Indian soldiers and four PLA troops being killed.
- 19 Chinese planes cross Taiwan Strait median line CNA 08 Sep 2022 -- A total of 45 Chinese military aircraft and seven naval ships were detected in areas around Taiwan on Thursday, of which 18 warplanes and a drone crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Taiwan Should Shoot Down Chinese Drones, Military Expert Says VOA 08 Sep 2022 -- Taiwan military experts are divided over how the self-governed territory should respond to Chinese drones, which have been entering the airspace over islands under its control near the Chinese mainland with increasing frequency.
- Taiwan won't yield to China's threats, Tsai tells U.S. lawmakers CNA 08 Sep 2022 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (è”¡è‹±æ–‡) told a visiting delegation of American lawmakers on Thursday that Taiwan will not back down in the face of China's growing military coercion and will continue to work closely with the United States to safeguard regional peace and security.
- US urged to 'slam the brakes' on Congress' provocation as lawmakers land on Taiwan following military sales Global Times 08 Sep 2022 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry urged US politicians to immediately stop any form of official exchanges with China's Taiwan region, and stop sending wrong signals to Taiwan secessionists, in response to the ongoing trip by a US bipartisan delegation led by Representative Stephanie Murphy, vice chair of the House Subcommittee on Intelligence and Special Operations.
- Taiwan in contact with Vatican amid rumors of Xi-Pope meet: MOFA CNA 08 Sep 2022 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Thursday that it was maintaining close contact with the Holy See, amid rumors of a potential meeting between Pope Francis and Chinese President Xi Jinping (ç¿’è¿‘å¹³) in Kazakhstan.
- Japan responds to rising China-Taiwan tensions by militarizing its remote islands Radio Free Asia 08 Sep 2022 -- Japan plans to beef up defenses on its remote islands in the East China Sea in preparation for a Taiwan Strait crisis, a move reflecting official strategic thinking but one likely to annoy China.
- PLA Naval Aviation Force gets carrier-based early warning aircraft, trainer jets Global Times 08 Sep 2022 -- The Naval Aviation Force of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has made preliminary strides in its development from being coast-based to carrier-based, and it has established a carrier-based aircraft system consisting of fighter jets, helicopters, early warning aircraft and trainer jets, a top official of the force announced, confirming for the first time that China has been developing carrier-based early warning aircraft and trainer jets.
- China unveils its version of Switchblade suicide drone in action Global Times 08 Sep 2022 -- China on Thursday promoted its answer to the Switchblade suicide drone among a wide selection of advanced unmanned aerial vehicles popular on the international and domestic market, releasing a video showing them in action.
- Leap forward development of PLA Naval aviation force from shore-based to ship-based PLA Daily 08 Sep 2022 -- A forum on the development of PLA's naval aviation force came to an end in Qingdao, Shandong Province, on September 7. It is learned at the forum that the PLA naval aviation force's transformation from a shore-based force to a ship-based force has been basically completed, with the force playing a more-and-more important role in safeguarding the sovereignty, security and development interests of China both in the air and on the sea.
- China Opens Record-Breaking Hypersonic Wind Tunnel Able to Reproduce Mach 33 Speeds Sputnik 08 Sep 2022 -- Chinese scientists have opened a new high-powered wind tunnel in Sichuan that's capable of recreating the most extreme flight conditions of any such device on the planet. It's also now the biggest wind tunnel.
- Strategic exercise Vostok-2022 wraps up in Russia PLA Daily 08 Sep 2022 -- On September 7, local time, the closing ceremony of the strategic exercise Vostok-2022 was held in Russia, marking the end of the eight-day exercise.
- US halting of F-35 deliveries 'over Sinophobia' puts itself at greater risk: experts Global Times 08 Sep 2022 -- The US Department of Defense's move to halt deliveries of F-35 stealth jets after a Chinese rare-earth component was "discovered" in the aircraft underscores the growing Sinophobia within the US that increasingly puts itself at a greater risk, as it still relies heavily on China for crucial rare-earth and other components, Chinese analysts said on Thursday.
- China's first solar exploration satellite makes breakthroughs People's Daily 08 Sep 2022 -- China recently released the world's first H-Alpha spectral scanning imaging by its first solar observation satellite "Xihe" after the satellite has stayed in orbit for 10 months.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on September 8, 2022 PRC MofA 08 Sep 2022
- Report: China accelerates global campaign to sway foreign media Radio Free Asia 08 Sep 2022 -- China is intensifying its campaign to influence and manipulate news and information worldwide, and using an array of tools to project a positive image of itself abroad, a U.S.-based watchdog group said in a report released Thursday.
- China's Global Media Influence Campaign Growing, Says Freedom House VOA 08 Sep 2022 -- When Dapo Olorunyomi, publisher of the Nigerian newspaper the Premium Times, was in school in the 1970s, he remembers receiving in the mail "glossy Chinese magazines that were sent freely, celebrating and glamorizing China's great progress."
- China May Draw Lessons From Russian Failures in Ukraine DoD News 08 Sep 2022 -- Chinese president Xi Jinping has set a timeline for his nation's military to be capable of taking Taiwan by 2027 â€” just five years from now. Recent events in the Taiwan strait have some questioning the strategic situation and prospects of a near-term invasion.
- US Moves to Keep Advanced Semiconductor Technology Out of China VOA 08 Sep 2022 -- Companies that accept U.S. funding under a plan to build up America's computer chip-making capacity will be barred from establishing advanced fabrication facilities in China for 10 years, the administration of President Joe Biden announced this week.
- China backs Iran's 'reasonable demands' as FMs hold talks Press TV 08 Sep 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says the US must stay away from the use of ambiguous language in its proposed text on how tor revive the 2015 nuclear deal.
- New UK PM urged to take pragmatic, balanced approach to relations with China Global Times 08 Sep 2022 -- British companies are hoping for consistent China-UK economic and trade relations, as well as more open dialogue and a broader mindset for future bilateral relations, following the appointment of new UK Prime Minister Liz Truss.
- Australia Condemns China for Treatment of Detained Journalist VOA 08 Sep 2022 -- Australia has called on China to grant an Australian television anchor detained by authorities in Beijing contact with her family. Cheng Lei was working for the Chinese government's English language broadcaster CGTN when she was taken into custody in August 2020. She was formally charged on suspicion of "illegally supplying state secrets overseas" and has had no contact with her family since her arrest.
- Head of Hong Kong Journalists Association Arrested, Released on Bail VOA 08 Sep 2022 -- The chairman of the Hong Kong Journalists Association (HKJA) is out on bail following his arrest Wednesday while on assignment.
- WeChat warns users their likes, comments and histories are being sent to China Radio Free Asia 08 Sep 2022 -- The Chinese social media platform WeChat is warning users outside China that their data will be stored on servers inside the country, RFA has learned.
- Former senior political advisor expelled from CPC, public office People's Daily 08 Sep 2022 -- Shen Deyong, a member of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC), has been expelled from the CPC and dismissed from public office over severe violations of Party discipline and laws.
- CPC corruption fight intensified in past decade People's Daily 08 Sep 2022 -- Since the Party's 18th National Congress in 2012, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) has taken concrete measures to improve conduct and combat corruption.
- QA-25, 8 September 2022, Statement of the Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Tanju BilgiÃ§, in Response to a Question Regarding the Report Released by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights on the Human Rights Situation in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People's Republic of China (PRC) Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs 08 Sep 2022
- China's rare earth export price hits record high in August as global supplies tighten Global Times 08 Sep 2022 -- China's rare earth export price hit a record high in August, jumping to $26 per kilogram, up 93.8 percent year-on-year, and industry observers said this upward trend may continue for the rest of the year thanks to factors including tighter policies for environmental protection.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list