Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
07 September 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing reports school-related COVID-19 infections, advocates residents to stay put during Mid-Autumn Festival Global Times 07 Sep 2022 -- Beijing has reported 21 local COVID-19 infections from Tuesday to 3 pm on Wednesday, three of which were from a high school while the rest came from a university. Beijing health officials advocated residents to stay put during the upcoming Mid-Autumn Festival holiday on Saturday.
- Changchun reports first community-level infections related to previous in-hospital transmission Global Times 07 Sep 2022 -- Changchun, Northeast China's Jilin Province, reported its first community-level COVID-19 cases associated with a previous in-hospital transmission on Monday, five days after reporting the in-hospital transmission.
- Beijing tightens epidemic prevention on campus after flare-up of campus-related cluster infection reported Global Times 07 Sep 2022 -- Universities in Beijing tightened their epidemic prevention management after one confirmed infection and another five tested positive for COVID-19 in a latest campus-related cluster infection at a local university on Tuesday. Authorities warned of a grim situation of epidemic prevention.
- Imported monkeypox case in HK 'not surprising, little threat to communities' Global Times 07 Sep 2022 -- Imported monkeypox cases are unsurprising and they pose a low threat to communities as long as cluster infections among the high-risk group are prevented and strict customs quarantine inspection is conducted, experts said, as China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) reported its first imported case of monkeypox while the city is preparing to resume travel with the Chinese mainland.
- China calls on US to immediately stop military contact with Taiwan Press TV 07 Sep 2022 -- China has strongly objected to a potential sale of arms by the United States to Chinese Taipei, urging the US to immediately stop its military contact with the island.
- Arms sales to Taiwan to continue despite China protests: US spokesman CNA 07 Sep 2022 -- The United States will continue to provide defensive weapons to Taiwan despite protests by Beijing over the recent approval by Washington of the sale of weapons systems to Taipei, a U.S. government spokesman said Tuesday.
- Main stage of "Vostok-2022" exercise conducted PLA Daily 07 Sep 2022 -- The main stage of Vostok (East)-2022 exercise officially kicked off on September 6 at the Sergeevsky training ground and in the waters of the Sea of Japan. Troops from countries including China, Russia, India, Algeria, Armenia, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Mongolia, and Kyrgyzstan staged a modern joint operation.
- China's state media urged not to stray from party line, dumb down ideology Radio Free Asia 07 Sep 2022 -- The head of China's state news agency has pledged never to swerve from the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) line or from supporting incumbent leader Xi Jinping as he gears up to seek an unprecedented third term in office at the 20th CCP National Congress in October.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on September 7, 2022 PRC MofA 07 Sep 2022
- US in no position to mention 'responsible behavior' in space as Pentagon doc a grave threat to peace, security: Chinese FM Global Times 07 Sep 2022 -- The US is in no position to talk about formulating so-called code for responsible behavior in outer space, given the fact that for a long time, the US has openly regarded outer space as a combat domain, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said on Wednesday.
- China eyes mobilizing nationwide resources for breakthroughs in core tech, a way of combating US pressure on domestic chip industry Global Times 07 Sep 2022 -- As China takes action to improve a new system to mobilize national resources to achieve breakthroughs in core technologies, mostly chip development, software and industrial materials, experts said the country is sending a clear message as to how it is preparing to cope with the intensifying crackdown from the US and its allies as they attempt to choke China's chip and other high-tech industries.
- China's Xi promises a nationalized scientific and high-tech industry amid chip bans Radio Free Asia 07 Sep 2022 -- As the United States imposes further bans on the export of high-tech software and chips to China, ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping has unveiled plans to focus resources on homegrown high-tech products and processes.
- Meeting with Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress of China Li Zhanshu President of Russia 07 Sep 2022 -- Vladimir Putin met with Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress of China Li Zhanshu on the sidelines of the Eastern Economic Congress.
- Putin To Meet Xi Jinping In Uzbekistan Next Week RFE/RL 07 Sep 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, will meet next week during a meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) in Uzbekistan.
- Chinese premier congratulates new UK PM, calls on both countries to advance ties on right tack Global Times 07 Sep 2022 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has sent a message to Liz Truss to congratulate her on taking office as British prime minister, stressing a stable and healthy development of China-UK relations is in line with both countries' interests and hoping the two countries work together to advance the bilateral ties on the right track.
- North Korea requests Chinese investment for solar power plant Radio Free Asia 07 Sep 2022 -- North Korea is seeking Chinese investment to build a solar power plant that would add more capacity to its tapped out electricity grid, government sources in the isolated country told RFA.
- China, Russia to strengthen cooperation on the way to a 'multipolar world' Global Times 07 Sep 2022 -- China will strengthen cooperation with Russia and work together with other members of the international community to boost the multipolarization of the world, Chinese experts said, as the 7th Eastern Economic Forum (EEF) is being held in Vladivostok, Russia. Russia also harshly criticized Western sanctions against it over the Ukraine crisis as they have brought great damage to everyone around the world including their own people in the West.
- Hong Kong Court Convicts 5 Over 'Seditious Sheep' Books VOA 07 Sep 2022 -- A Hong Kong court Wednesday convicted five speech therapists of sedition after they published a series of children books with stories that were deemed anti-government.
- UN experts urge action on findings of Uyghur abuse in China Radio Free Asia 07 Sep 2022 -- A collection of human rights officials on Wednesday said the international community must not ignore the systematic abuses allegedly perpetrated against Uyghurs and other Turkic minorities in northwestern China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, and repeated a call for the U.N. Human Rights Council to review the charges.
- Rights experts urge China to address grave violations in Xinjiang province UN News 07 Sep 2022 -- China must address grave human rights violations in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), and the international community must not turn a blind eye, more than 40 UN independent experts said on Wednesday.
- 'Beijing's strategy is to exploit a power vacuum': Expert on Chinese expansionism Radio Free Asia 07 Sep 2022 -- Senior U.S. officials are traveling to India this week for talks among the so-called Quadrilateral Security Dialogue, or "Quad." This grouping compromises Australia, India, Japan, and the United States and is widely viewed as a move by like-minded democracies to contend with an increasingly assertive China and its rising military power.
- RMB stability intact, rebound possible People's Daily 07 Sep 2022 -- Although the renminbi might continue to face downward pressures against the US dollar in the short term, the Chinese currency is capable of maintaining overall stability and may bounce back by the end of the year, currency market experts said on Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list