Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
31 August 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports 349 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 31 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 349 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 164 were in Sichuan Province, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Kinmen troops fire live rounds at intruding drones CNA 31 Aug 2022 -- Army units in Kinmen County fired live rounds in the direction of Chinese drones flying in the airspace of the offshore county, on three separate occasions and in different locations, Wednesday evening.
- MND details China's 'grey zone' warfare tactics against Taiwan CNA 31 Aug 2022 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) detailed "gray zone" tactics employed by China to conduct reconnaissance around the Republic of China (Taiwan) and its outlying islands in a report to the Legislature Wednesday, underscoring the government's request for an increase in the national defense budget to facilitate the rollout of more effective countermeasures.
- Taiwan's president orders 'strong measures' as troops fire at Chinese drone Radio Free Asia 31 Aug 2022 -- Taiwanese troops shot live rounds at a Chinese drone spotted intruding into the airspace of Kinmen County for the first time, the Kinmen Defense Command said.
- Taiwan soldiers fire shots to expel Chinese drones CNA 31 Aug 2022 -- Taiwanese soldiers stationed on islands close to China's coast fired shots Tuesday to expel Chinese commercial drones, the first more aggressive response the military has taken against the recent drone incursions.
- US plans missile sales to Taiwan in 'escalation of provocation' after Pelosi visit; 'drain every last drop of blood from island before reunification' Global Times 31 Aug 2022 -- The US is reportedly planning to sell an arms package involving anti-ship and air-to-air missiles worth $1.1 billion to the island of Taiwan only weeks after US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's provocative visit to the island, a move analysts said on Tuesday is yet another ill-intended provocation that will only escalate tensions.
- India and China to Take Part in Joint Military Drills with Russia VOA 31 Aug 2022 -- India and China are among several countries taking part in Russia's weeklong joint military drills scheduled to get underway on Thursday in the east of the country, according to Russia's state-owned news agency Tass.
- Exclusive: China-Russia military interactions 'will not be affected by external environment:' Chinese envoy to Russia Global Times 31 Aug 2022 -- Despite the West's increasingly tough subversive moves against China-Russia's relations, the two countries have forged stronger ties and have achieved a series of groundbreaking, pioneering, and institutional outcomes over the last decade.
- Chinese designers vow to make air-to-air missiles superior to foreign counterparts Global Times 31 Aug 2022 -- After some of China's most powerful air-to-air missiles feared by the US have joined the recent exercises by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) around the island of Taiwan, the chief designers of those missiles said that China's current generation of missiles are leading the world, and the next generation of missiles will enjoy absolute superiority over their foreign counterparts.
- Beijing Blasts NATO Criticism of Russia-China Arctic Cooperation: Foreign Ministry Says Sputnik 31 Aug 2022 -- NATO's 'irresponsible' criticism of the Russian-Chinese partnership in the Arctic shows Alliance efforts to perpetuate the Cold War mentality, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Wednesday.
- UN Human Rights Office issues assessment of human rights concerns in Xinjiang, China OHCHR 31 Aug 2022 -- The UN Human Rights Office today issued an assessment of human rights concerns in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.
- UN human rights chief issues damning report on Chinese abuses in Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 31 Aug 2022 -- China's repression of Uyghurs and other Turkic minorities in its western Xinjiang province "may constitute international crimes, in particular crimes against humanity," the U.N.'s human rights chief said Wednesday in a long-awaited report issued on her last day on the job.
- China responsible for 'serious human rights violations' in Xinjiang province: UN human rights report UN News 31 Aug 2022 -- A long-awaited report by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) into what China refers to as the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) has concluded that "serious human rights violations" against the Uyghur and "other predominantly Muslim communities" have been committed.
- Outgoing UN Rights Chief Blasts 'Serious' Chinese Abuses In Xinjiang As Possible 'Crimes Against Humanity' RFE/RL 31 Aug 2022 -- Departing UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet has excoriated Beijing for "serious human rights violations" and possible "crimes against humanity" in a western region where China's leadership is accused of mass roundups and other mistreatment of Uyghurs and other minorities, despite Beijing's strong-arm tactics to block the assessment.
- UN Rights Chief: China's Treatment of Uyghurs May Constitute Crimes Against Humanity VOA 31 Aug 2022 -- Moments before her term expired Wednesday, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights released a long-awaited report that found the treatment of minorities in China's Xinjiang province may constitute crimes against humanity.
- China opposes politicizing human rights as Bachelet steps down as UN human right chief Global Times 31 Aug 2022 -- China firmly opposes the release of the so-called Xinjiang-related report by the UN Human Rights Office, which is a pure stunt orchestrated by the US and a few other Western countries, and hopes the high commissioner will make the right decision, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Wednesday, the last day that Michelle Bachelet serves as the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 31, 2022 PRC MofA 31 Aug 2022
- Meeting of CPC Central Committee Political Bureau proposes convening 20th CPC National Congress on Oct. 16 in Beijing People's Daily 31 Aug 2022 -- The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee on Tuesday held a meeting on the preparatory work for the seventh plenary session of the 19th CPC Central Committee, and the 20th CPC National Congress. Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee, presided over the meeting.
- CPC sets out plans for key 20th Congress People's Daily 31 Aug 2022 -- A key meeting of the Communist Party of China on Tuesday proposed that the Party's 20th National Congress will be convened in Beijing on Oct 16, highlighting the event as an occasion to continue promoting common prosperity and the building of a community with a shared future for mankind.
- Chinese police crack down on petitioners, dissidents ahead of 20th party congress Radio Free Asia 31 Aug 2022 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has announced it will hold its 20th National Congress on Oct. 16, amid a mounting wave of censorship and curbs on the freedom of dissident voices around the country.
- China ratchets up financial support for infrastructure projects People's Daily 31 Aug 2022 -- China is channeling more financial support to infrastructure construction amid national efforts to catalyze domestic demand and sustain economic recovery.
- China's Drought Threatens Nation's Energy, Food and Economic Security VOA 31 Aug 2022 -- China has been hit by record heat waves and droughts this summer, a combined phenomenon that experts say that has the potential to threaten the food, energy and economic security that Beijing values.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list