Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
29 August 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Dissenting voices speak out against ongoing zero-COVID restrictions in China Radio Free Asia 29 Aug 2022 -- Dissent against the Chinese government's zero-COVID policy has been growing in recent days, with protests over restrictions in the southwestern megacity of Chongqing and calls from a Beijing-based think tank for changes to the policy of targeted lockdowns and ongoing compulsory mass testing.
- Several Chinese cities tighten epidemic prevention measures amid new flare-ups Global Times 29 Aug 2022 -- As the new semester approaches, many places in China, including Chengdu in Southwest China's Sichuan Province and Tianjin Municipality, have begun to tighten epidemic prevention measures amid COVID-19 flare-ups, including carrying out large-scale nucleic acid tests and delaying the return of students.
- Army publishes four-step response to Chinese drone intrusions CNA 29 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan's Army has released a four-step standard response to incursions by Chinese drones after spotting one near a small islet in frontline Kinmen County on Monday, amid widespread criticism that it has done little to counter such incidents.
- U.S. warships pass through Taiwan Strait amid Chinese air incursions Radio Free Asia 29 Aug 2022 -- Two U.S. warships made a transit through the Taiwan Strait on the same day China flew 23 aircraft into areas around Taiwan in a continuous attempt to "normalize" such activities.
- Beijing: US Constantly Flexing Muscles by Sending Warships in Taiwan Strait Sputnik 29 Aug 2022 -- The United States is constantly flexing its muscles by sending warships to the Taiwan Strait under the pretext of freedom of navigation, thus deliberately undermining peace and stability in the region, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Monday.
- YU-20 tanker 'compatible with bombers, early warning craft' with 3rd refuel point Global Times 29 Aug 2022 -- The YU-20 aerial tanker has what seems to be a third refueling point at the tail of the aircraft in addition to the two under its wings, observers found in the aircraft's first public display at the ongoing open day event of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force.
- China's increasing contributions to UN peacekeeping operations PLA Daily 29 Aug 2022 -- The first "Shared Vision" international peacekeeping forum organized by the Peacekeeping Affairs Center under China's Ministry of National Defense (MND) was held in Beijing a few days ago. More than 100 professionals in peacekeeping field conducted in-depth discussions on "Making the Vision of Peace Come True".
- Solomon Islands Places Moratorium on Naval Visits VOA 29 Aug 2022 -- The U.S. received formal notification Monday that the Solomon Islands government has placed a moratorium on all naval visits while it updates its procedures, a U.S. State Department spokesperson told VOA.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 29, 2022 PRC MofA 29 Aug 2022
- Chinese vice premier urges greater efforts to combat drought, ensure stable grain production People's Daily 29 Aug 2022 -- Chinese Vice Premier Hu Chunhua has urged greater efforts to combat drought and ensure a good harvest of rice and other autumn grains.
- China launches emergency response for floods in Sichuan, Chongqing People's Daily 29 Aug 2022 -- Chinese authorities on Sunday launched a Level-IV emergency response for floods in Sichuan and Chongqing, the Ministry of Emergency Management said.
- Over 8,100 officials punished for violating China's frugality rules People's Daily 29 Aug 2022 -- A total of 8,185 Chinese officials were punished in July for violating the country's eight-point code on improving Party and government conduct, China's top anti-graft body said in a statement on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list