Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 August 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese CDC allows simultaneous flu, COVID shots for adults to avoid 'twindemic' scenario Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released technical guidelines for influenza vaccination for 2022 to 2023 on Thursday, as China's southern regions saw a peak flu season in the summer and the country moves to a avoid a possible "twindemic" scenario of COVID-19 and influenza in the upcoming winter and the spring in 2023.
- China no longer requires COVID test info for international arrivals, as it further eases restrictions Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- China is moving further to ease anti-COVID-19 restrictions on international arrivals, with the new health declaration form issued by the General Administration of Customs on Thursday scrapping requirements for visitors to report information regarding nucleic acid test results, their infection status and vaccination dates.
- Chinese mainland reports 345 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 345 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 217 were in Hainan Province, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- U.S., China mum on high-level talks with rumored Taiwan focus CNA 25 Aug 2022 -- In an unusual move, a press readout was not issued for an Aug. 23 meeting between U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman and China's chief envoy in Washington Qin Gang (ç§¦ĺ‰›), which reportedly focused on Taiwan.
- KMT voices concerns over drills in meeting with Chinese official CNA 25 Aug 2022 -- Opposition Kuomintang (KMT) Vice Chairman Andrew Hsia (ĺ¤Źç«‹č¨€) on Wednesday expressed concerns of Taiwan's public over China's recent military live-fire drills around Taiwan during a meeting with China's top Taiwan affairs negotiator Zhang Zhijun (ĺĽµĺż—č»Ť), the KMT said in a statement issued late that day.
- China warns Canada over planned visit by lawmakers to Taiwan Press TV 25 Aug 2022 -- China has warned Canada over a planned visit by Canadian parliamentarians to Chinese Taipei, threatening to take "forceful measures" if Ottawa interferes in Beijing's affairs regarding the self-ruled island.
- Some Facts About Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- "Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi made a provocative visit to China's Taiwan region recently in disregard of the Chinese side's stern warnings."
- China lays out 11 facts to firmly rebut US chicanery on Taiwan question after Pelosi's provocative trip Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- After China-US relations seriously worsen due to the provocative trip to Taiwan made by US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi earlier this month, Washington, instead of reflecting on its own mistakes and correcting them, continues to provoke China with the latest reported trip by US lawmakers to Taiwan on Thursday night.
- The China-Indian border issue doesn't need third-party interference: Defense Ministry Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- The border issue is a matter between China and India, and China firmly opposes any form of external interference by a third party in the boundary issue, Colonel Tan Kefei, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, said on Thursday in response to the joint military exercises held by the US and Indian militaries in the disputed China-Indian border area.
- China opposes any third party medddling in China-India border issue: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 25 Aug 2022 -- "We firmly oppose any third party to meddle in the China-India border issue in any form," said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND) at a regular press conference in Beijing on Thursday when being asked about his comments on the onging and future US-India joint military exercises near the China-India border.
- Circular urges study of book on Xi Jinping's thinking on armed forces People's Daily 25 Aug 2022 -- A circular has called on Party organizations at all levels and the armed forces to conduct thorough and in-depth study of a new book on Xi Jinping's thinking on strengthening the armed forces.
- Book on Xi Jinping's thinking on strengthening armed forces published People's Daily 25 Aug 2022 -- A book illustrating Xi Jinping's thinking on strengthening the armed forces has been jointly published by the People's Liberation Army Publishing House and the People's Publishing House.
- PLA aircraft carrier Shandong holds drills in South China Sea in full combat group Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's aircraft carrier Shandong conducts realistic combat-oriented exercises in the South China Sea in the early autumn of 2022. Photo: Screenshot from the WeChat account of the PLA South Sea Fleet
- For 1st time China sends ground, naval, air forces to join Russian Vostok drills Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has dispatched forces to join the upcoming Vostok-2022 in Russia, with PLA ground and air forces having already arrived at the designated drill region and naval forces being rendezvoused with Russian warships at sea. This is the first time the PLA has sent three of its forces to participate in a single Russian drill, observers said.
- China's military training exercises aimed at defending national sovereignty and territorial integrityďĽšDefense Spokesperson PLA Daily 25 Aug 2022 -- "The series of military exercises and training conducted by the Chinese PLA near China's Taiwan Island were open, transparent, professional and appropriate, and served as a warning and counterattack to the provocateurs and trouble makers," Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND), remarked at a regular press confrence Thursday.
- U.S. Should Not Surrender Clean Energy Technology to China, DOD Official Says DoD News 25 Aug 2022 -- China has made it very clear that clean energy technology also results in geostrategic power, the deputy assistant secretary of defense for environment and energy resilience said.
- Global Shipping Container Suppliers China International Marine Containers and Maersk Container Industry Abandon Merger after Justice Department Investigation US Dept. of Justice 25 Aug 2022 -- Acquisition Would Have Combined Two of the Four Suppliers of Insulated Container Boxes and Refrigerated Shipping Containers in the World and Further Concentrated the Global Cold Supply Chain
- Ministry says US threatens global supply chain, after Washington adds 7 Chinese entities to export control list Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- A spokesperson from China's Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) urged the US to immediately stop its erroneous practice of putting Chinese entities on its export control list, saying the move poses "a serious threat" to the stability of global supply and industrial chains, which will seriously hurt normal economic and trade cooperation between Chinese and US companies.
- From Kyiv To Bucharest: Has Chinese Influence Peaked In Eastern Europe? RFE/RL 25 Aug 2022 -- In the early days after Russia's invasion of Ukraine, some officials and analysts raised the possibility of China playing a mediating role or even pushing Moscow to the negotiating table to help end the conflict.
- China Cancels 23 Loans to Africa Amid 'Debt Trap' Debate VOA 25 Aug 2022 -- A recent announcement by China that it is forgiving 23 loans for 17 African countries may be motivated by accusations of "debt-trap diplomacy," say some analysts.
- US Report Accuses China of Disinformation Campaign on Xinjiang VOA 25 Aug 2022 -- Members of the Uyghur diaspora are welcoming a U.S. State Department report on China's efforts to manipulate global opinion regarding its western Xinjiang region but say Beijing's approach is not new.
- UN human rights chief says overdue report on abuses in Xinjiang still not ready Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2022 -- The United Nations human rights chief said a long overdue report on rights abuses in western China's Xinjiang region may not be issued by the time she leaves her post on Aug. 31, prompting dismay among Uyghur advocacy groups and a U.S. call to release the document.
- Uyghur Mass Detention Report May Be Delayed Again VOA 25 Aug 2022 -- U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Thursday cast doubt on whether she will release a long-awaited report on the mass incarceration of Uyghurs in China's Xinjiang region before she leaves office on August 31.
- US double standards shown again in latest state department report; manipulation of Xinjiang-related affairs worth alert of all developing countries Global Times 25 Aug 2022 -- Should China just keep silent at all and refrain from making any legitimate response and clarification in face of the US' big lies on Xinjiang-related affairs? Chinese observers questioned the latest lengthy report the US State Department released on Thursday local time, which defamed China by accusing it of actively attempting to manipulate and dominate the global discourse on Xinjiang.
- Police stop mourners attending funeral of Jiang Zongcao, wife of former top CCP aide Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2022 -- Chinese police on Thursday prevented mourners from attending the funeral of Jiang Zongcao, the wife of former top ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) aide Bao Tong, who has been a vocal critic of the regime for decades.
- Chinese prosecutors charge former senior official of Guangxi with bribery People's Daily 25 Aug 2022 -- A public prosecution has been instituted against Liu Hongwu, former vice chairman of the people's government of south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. He is suspected of bribery, an official statement said on Thursday.
- China to build on policy package for stabilizing economy to firm up foundation for recovery, growth People's Daily 25 Aug 2022 -- China will adopt follow-up policies on top of the policy package for stabilizing the economy as part of intensified efforts to consolidate the foundation of economic recovery and growth, and send taskforces to localities to supervise and assist work on this front to promote policy implementation at a faster pace, according to the decision made at the State Council's Executive Meeting chaired by Premier Li Keqiang on Wednesday.
- Chongqing residents queue for mass testing in searing heat as wildfires rage Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2022 -- Millions of residents of the southwestern Chinese city of Chongqing are being ordered out to line up for mass COVID-19 tests across the city in a heatwave that has sparked a three-day-long wildfire in the nearby hills and dried up a major local river.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list