Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 August 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- COVID resurgence spirals to highest in 3 months Global Times 18 Aug 2022 -- The recent wave of COVID-19 resurgence in China driven by Omicron variants has been fermenting for about a month, and the daily tally reached its highest level in about three months with a total of 3,424 new cases being reported on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 614 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 614 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 496 were in Hainan Province, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- China's Hainan readies over 21,000 makeshift beds as COVID-19 infections surge People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- South China's island province of Hainan had readied 26,103 quarantine rooms and 21,003 makeshift beds as of Tuesday to cope with the latest COVID-19 resurgence, local authorities said Wednesday.
- 51 Chinese warplanes, six warships spotted near Taiwan: MND CNA 18 Aug 2022 -- A total of 51 warplanes and six warships from China were spotted in areas around Taiwan as of 5 p.m. Thursday, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND), as Taiwan and the United States announced the same day that they would begin formal trade negotiations this fall.
- Chinese warship detected near Taiwan missile testing site: Navy CNA 18 Aug 2022 -- A Chinese warship was detected in waters off Green Island on Thursday, when Taiwan was set to begin a new round of missile tests from the nation's eastern coast, according to a military source.
- 90% of people in Taiwan opposed to Chinese drills: Survey CNA 18 Aug 2022 -- Almost 90 percent of people in Taiwan expressed opposition to the military drills held by China around Taiwan and the firing of missiles near the island, a survey conducted by the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) found Thursday.
- Taiwan, U.S. to kick off trade negotiations in fall CNA 18 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan and the United States are scheduled to hold the first round of negotiations this fall on an ambitious 11-area trade initiative with the aim of working toward a trade agreement.
- Taiwan question bears on basic trust, political foundation of ties, China tells Japan at high-level dialogue Global Times 18 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan question bears on the political foundation of China-Japan relations and the basic trust and good faith between the two countries, Chinese top diplomat Yang Jiechi reiterated during a high-level dialogue with Japanese national security advisor Takeo Akiba on Wednesday amid heightened cross-Straits tensions.
- Taiwan island's missile tests, US command aircraft's sortie 'no threat to PLA' Global Times 18 Aug 2022 -- Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authorities in Taiwan island reportedly began a series of live-fire missile tests starting on Thursday, with an E-8C command aircraft of the US military reportedly flying over the Bashi Channel before the tests, a move Taiwan-based media claimed was a "deterrent" to the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA). However, Chinese mainland military experts said that the remarks were ignorant, as neither the island's missiles nor the US aircraft pose credible threats to the PLA.
- China urges U.S. to strictly observe one-China principle People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- China on Wednesday urged the United States to draw lessons from history, honor the three China-U.S. joint communiques and strictly observe the one-China principle.
- Punitive measures against diehard "Taiwan independence" secessionists have sufficient legal basis: spokesperson People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- A State Council Taiwan Affairs Office spokesperson on Wednesday said that Taiwan is a part of China and there is a sufficient legal basis for China to impose punitive measures on diehard "Taiwan independence" secessionists.
- US says will take steps to counter China's activity around Taiwan Press TV 18 Aug 2022 -- The United States says it plans to adopt measures to counter China's military and economic activity around Chinese Taipei, amid heightened tensions between Taipei and Beijing.
- Russia Respecting One China Principle on Taiwan Issue, US Strategy Will Fail - Ministry Sputnik 18 Aug 2022 -- Russia is respecting the One China principle when it comes to Taiwan, Pyotr Ilyichev, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry's Department of International Organizations, told Sputnik, adding that the US strategy on the matter will fail.
- African Leaders Quick to Address US-China Tensions Over Taiwan VOA 18 Aug 2022 -- A spike in tensions between China and the United States over Taiwan has not gone unnoticed in Africa and has prompted responses that underscore the continent's tilt toward Beijing.
- Domestic combat drone gets upgrade PLA Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- The Caihong-4, China's top-selling unmanned combat aircraft, will soon have a more powerful engine that is expected to greatly improve its operational capability, according to its maker.
- Chinese peacekeepers to Lebanon participate in UNIFIL Angel Rescue Exercise PLA Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- The Angel Rescue Exercise, an emergency medical rescue drill organized by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), wrapped up on the morning of August 15, local time. Peacekeepers from seven countries including China, Spain, Cambodia, and France participated in the exercise. As the main medical support force in the mission area, the Chinese medical unit successfully completed its tasks in the exercise, with its emergency rescue and coordination support capabilities further tested.
- China to join Vostok-2022 Russia with other countries; closer China-Russia ties 'crucial to defend global stability to counter US hegemony' Global Times 18 Aug 2022 -- Chinese troops will go to Russia to participate in the joint military exercises Vostok-2022 with Russia and other countries, according to China's Defense Ministry and experts pointed out that one focus of this year's combined training is to deal with potential threat from the direction of the Pacific Ocean. The cooperation in military and other fields between China and Russia will be further improved despite the increasing hype that the US and the West are the only ones committed in the mission of defending regional and global stability.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on August 18, 2022 PRC MofA 18 Aug 2022
- High-Profile Visits Aid Beijing Propaganda, Experts Say VOA 18 Aug 2022 -- Dubbing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi "a selfish child" whose visit to Taiwan was destined to be "torn up by history," China's state media generated dozens of articles on a U.S. politician who has been criticizing Beijing for more than 30 years.
- Nearly 30 activists plead guilty to 'subversion' in Hong Kong security case Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2022 -- Hong Kong democracy activists Joshua Wong, Benny Tai and dozens of other defendants pleaded guilty to subversion charges brought under Hong Kong's draconian national security law after they took part in a democratic primary in the summer of 2020, local media reported.
- Dozens of anti-China figures including Benny Tai and Joshua Wong plead guilty, sending deterrent to secessionists Global Times 18 Aug 2022 -- Dozens of former local politicians and extreme separatist activists in other sectors involved in the infamous "35-plus" political strategy in 2020, including former legal professor Benny Tai Yiu-ting and secessionist Joshua Wong Chi-fung, pleaded guilty of "conspiring to subvert state power" on Thursday. The case will be handed over to the Hong Kong High Court for sentencing in September and November respectively.
- Xi: CPC is always with the people People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, said more efforts should be made so that the people feel the CPC serves the people wholeheartedly and is always with the people.
- Chinese premier stresses seeking new impetus for stabilizing economy, promoting development People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has urged efforts to advance explorations in reform and opening-up to seek new impetus for stabilizing the economy and promoting development.
- Chinese vice premier urges efforts to boost foreign trade, consumption People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- Chinese Vice Premier Hu Chunhua on Wednesday urged efforts to expand consumption and further stabilize foreign trade and foreign investment.
- Chinese vice premier stresses energy, power supply People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- Chinese Vice Premier Han Zheng has urged stronger policy support and solid efforts to ensure the energy and power supply in the country.
- Chinese tech giants hand over algorithms as Beijing tightens internet controls Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2022 -- Dozens of technology companies have submitted their proprietary algorithms to China's internet regulator in recent weeks, including Alibaba, Tencent and Weibo, according to official documents.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list