Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 August 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China's zero-COVID curbs bring Guangdong's manufacturing hub to its knees Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2022 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s zero-COVID measures are forcing large numbers of private manufacturers to close in the Pearl River delta region this month, RFA has learned.
- Xinjiang residents warned of 3 weeks detention for violating COVID-19 lockdown Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2022 -- Authorities in Xinjiang are threatening those who flout quarantine laws with as many as three weeks of detention amid a new outbreak of COVID-19 in the region that has seen infections rise sharply since the start of the month, sources told RFA Uyghur.
- Chinese mainland reports 648 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 648 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 595 were in Hainan Province, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- China's Hainan reports 2,318 confirmed COVID-19 cases in latest resurgence People's Daily 12 Aug 2022 -- As of noon on Thursday, south China's Hainan Province has registered 2,318 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 1,821 asymptomatic cases since the province's current resurgence began Aug. 1, local authorities said.
- More Foreign Delegations Welcome in Taiwan, Foreign Minister Tells VOA VOA 12 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan's foreign minister said Friday that additional foreign delegations are "more than welcome" in Taipei, insisting his government will not be deterred by China's furious reaction to last week's visit by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
- China sanctions Lithuanian deputy minister over Taiwan visit, first foreign official punished since Pelosi Global Times 12 Aug 2022 -- China's Foreign Ministry on Friday announced plans to sanction Lithuanian Deputy Minister of Transport and Communications AgnÄ— VaiciukeviÄ¨iÅ«tÄ—, who visited the Taiwan region this week, which trampled on the one-China principle, seriously interfered in China's internal affairs, and undermined China's sovereignty and territorial integrity. VaiciukeviÄ¨iÅ«tÄ— is the first foreign official sanctioned over provocative Taiwan visit since US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was sanctioned last week.
- China denounces Lithuanian official's visit to Taiwan People's Daily 12 Aug 2022 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin on Thursday denounced a Lithuanian official's visit to China's Taiwan region, warning that China will take resolute countermeasures.
- China warns Taiwan against tempting 'an abyss of catastrophes' Press TV 12 Aug 2022 -- China again warns Taiwan against harboring any aspirations of secession from the mainland, including by teaming up with "external forces."
- US May Use Instability Around Taiwan and Escalate Crisis, Chinese Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 12 Aug 2022 -- China is vigilant as the United States may use the instability around Taiwan and further escalate the crisis, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Friday.
- Taiwan studies experts expound on significance of white paper People's Daily 12 Aug 2022 -- The release of a white paper on Taiwan question and China's reunification is of great significance, Taiwan studies experts said.
- China "deeply concerned" by situation at Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant: envoy People's Daily 12 Aug 2022 -- Zhang Jun, China's permanent representative to the United Nations, on Thursday said that China is "deeply concerned" by the recent shelling on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in Ukraine.
- THAAD issue should not be stumbling block in China-S. Korea relations again: analysts Global Times 12 Aug 2022 -- The current frictions between China and South Korea over the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) system are created by the US, as it has ramped up efforts to pressure South Korea to take further steps in the controversial issue to not only make breakthroughs in the military field and surveillance around the Korean Peninsula, but also to sow discord between China and South Korea, analysts said, reminding South Korea not to sacrifice its own interests for Washington.
- Chinese and Thai air forces to hold 10-day joint exercise this month Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2022 -- China and Thailand are to kick off a major joint air force exercise on Monday after a two-year suspension due to COVID, the Chinese Defense Ministry announced, on the heels of U.S.-backed military drills elsewhere in Southeast Asia.
- China, Thailand to hold joint air force exercise in large scale, as PLA sends fighter-bomber for first time Global Times 12 Aug 2022 -- China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force will hold joint air force exercises "Falcon Strike 2022" with Thai military starting August 14, China's Ministry of National Defense (MND) announced on Friday, amid regional chaos caused by external interference in the Asia Pacific region.
- China-Thailand joint air force training exercise "Falcon Strike 2022" to kick off PLA Daily 12 Aug 2022 -- According to the consensus reached by the air forces of China and Thailand, the two sides will hold a joint training exercise code-named "Falcon Strike 2022" at Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base in Thailand on August 14.
- Second echelon of 21st Chinese peacekeeping force to Lebanon set off PLA Daily 12 Aug 2022 -- The second-echelon 205 peacekeepers of the 21st Chinese peacekeeping force to Lebanon set out from Kunming, southwest China's Yunnan Province, on August 10. They will join up with their 205 fellow peacekeepers, who arrived in Lebanon on July 28 as the first echelon.
- China launches first terrestrial ecosystem carbon monitoring satellite People's Daily 12 Aug 2022 -- China recently successfully launched a terrestrial ecosystem carbon monitoring satellite from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in north China's Shanxi Province.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on August 12, 2022 PRC MofA 12 Aug 2022
- China Critical of Blinken's Africa Offensive VOA 12 Aug 2022 -- We're not in competition: That was the line from both the United States and China as U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken visited Africa this week, but analysts said the trip was indeed aimed at, among other things, countering Beijing's massive influence on the continent.
- China calls US 'empire of sanctions,' laments economic losses inflicted on Iran Press TV 12 Aug 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian has highlighted the economic losses incurred by Iran due to the United States' unilateral sanctions, condemning Washington for its unilateral policies.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Announces China's Sanctions on Lithuanian Deputy Minister of Transport and Communications AgnÄ— VaiciukeviÄ¨iÅ«tÄ— PRC MofA 12 Aug 2022
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list