Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
07 August 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing reports 2 new COVID-19 infections, tightens restrictions on entry Global Times 07 Aug 2022 -- Beijing reported two new infections of COVID-19 on Sunday including one who tested positive after returning from a business trip to North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. Beijing authorities raised the alert of preventing imported cases by placing strict restrictions on the entry to the city for people with a travel history to places where local infections have been reported, as imported cases are still considered the biggest risk to the city's current epidemic prevention.
- Four more cities in Hainan in 'static management' as 1,140 COVID-19 cases reported in a week Global Times 07 Aug 2022 -- The rapidly spreading Omicron BA5.1.3 variant that was first reported in Sanya, South China's Hainan has triggered at least four more cities in the province to impose what officials call "static management," in a bid to cut off the fast transmission chain that has resulted in a total of 1,140 COVID-19 cases in less than a week.
- Chinese mainland reports 337 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 07 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Saturday reported 337 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 297 were in Hainan, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Taiwan denies Chinese warship intrusion into its territorial waters (update) CNA 07 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan's military on Sunday disputed Chinese state media reports saying that People's Liberation Army (PLA) warships had sailed into Taiwan's territorial waters, and urged Taiwanese not to fall for Beijing's disinformation campaigns.
- Chinese aircraft, ships and drones circle Taiwan on final day of military drills Radio Free Asia 07 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese military continued joint air-naval exercises on Sunday, simulating attacks on Taiwan, the Taiwanese defense ministry said as China announced new drills north of the island in the Yellow Sea.
- China sends 66 warplanes, 14 warships around Taiwan Sunday CNA 07 Aug 2022 -- China deployed 66 warplanes and 14 warships into areas around Taiwan as of 5 p.m. Sunday in retaliation for U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's recent visit to the country, with 22 of the 66 aircraft crossing the Taiwan Strait median line.
- PLA bomber formations cross Taiwan Straits from two directions in latest drills Global Times 07 Aug 2022 -- The last day of scheduled military exercises around Taiwan island by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Sunday featured island saturation attack drills and bomber deterrence flights in the Straits, a move experts said formed a powerful deterrence to "Taiwan independence" secessionists and external interference forces, greatly promoted the reunification process, and rehearsed a potential real operation.
- PLA Eastern Theater Command continues joint exercises around Taiwan PLA Daily 07 Aug 2022 -- The Eastern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) continued its joint combat exercises and training as scheduled on Saturday in the waters and airspace around the Taiwan Island.
- China wrapping up military drills around Taiwan, announcing fresh ones Press TV 07 Aug 2022 -- China is wrapping up its largest-ever military drills around Taiwan which began on Thursday following a visit to Taipei by the US House speaker.
- Chinese drills forcing flights near Taiwan to re-route CNA 07 Aug 2022 -- China's recent live-fire military exercises in waters and airspace around Taiwan have forced many passenger flights in the country's vicinity to take different routes but have not forced many cancellations of flights to and from Taiwan.
- SVG PM urges China to stop military exercises CNA 07 Aug 2022 -- St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves on Sunday called on China to stop its ongoing military exercises surrounding Taiwan, stressing that his visit is meant to show solidarity with Taipei amid heightened tensions across the Taiwan Strait.
- New Honduran envoy gives reassurance on Taiwan diplomatic ties CNA 07 Aug 2022 -- The new Honduran ambassador to Taiwan has reaffirmed that the Central American country will maintain diplomatic ties with Taipei instead of switching to Beijing.
- China frequently introduces historical context and the merits of Taiwan question to the world, reinforces 'one-China principle' as internationally recognized consensus Global Times 07 Aug 2022 -- As Chinese military forces have been conducting massive drills around the island of Taiwan in response to the serious provocations made by the US on the Taiwan question in recent days, Chinese diplomats around the globe are also make great efforts to introduce the historical context and the merit of the Taiwan question to reinforce the one-China principle as an international consensus. This is to let the world understand how the tensions emerged and why the US is one who provoked first, and to let the world be prepared to understand the national reunification of China which will be realized one day in the near future.
- Chinese FM expounds on China's position on Taiwan question People's Daily 07 Aug 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi held a press conference for Chinese and foreign media here on Friday afternoon after attending the meetings of foreign ministers on East Asia cooperation.
- Japan warned of playing 'Taiwan card' to rationalize defense spending boost, striking another blow to ties Global Times 07 Aug 2022 -- At a time of tensions in the Taiwan Straits after US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's provocative visit to Taiwan island, Japan has not only failed to maintain regional stability, but instead issued erroneous statements on the Taiwan question. In this regard, observers warned there is a growing dangerous perception within the Japanese government that "a Taiwan emergency is an emergency for Japan."
- Sri Lanka Asks China to Defer Arrival of PLA Surveillance Ship Over India's Concerns Sputnik 07 Aug 2022 -- In the past few years, China's PLA-Navy has increased its activities in the Indian Ocean, the region primarily dominated by the Indian Navy so far. In 2020, the Indian Navy chased away a Chinese research vessel after it came near India's strategic Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- US vows to defend Philippines in the face of China 'dangerous actions' Press TV 07 Aug 2022 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has promised to defend the Philippines in the face of China's "destabilizing and dangerous" actions, during a visit to the Southeast Asian country.
- Blinken kicks off trip to Africa, 'unable to form a new Cold War club' to counter Russia, China Global Times 07 Aug 2022 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrived in South Africa on Sunday, beginning his trip to Africa that is widely described by the US media outlets as a renewed effort to bring back allies and a revival of Cold War-style politics. Although in an attempt to counter the influence of China and Russia, the US is unable to form a new club to achieve its goal of containing the two countries, considering the significant cooperation between China and Africa and Russia's deep engagement with the region, analysts said.
- Sherman visits South Pacific to 'sabotage' region's growing ties with China Global Times 07 Aug 2022 -- US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman continued her visit to South Pacific countries and met with Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare in Honiara on Sunday, in what Chinese experts call a sinister attempt to sabotage China's growing ties with Pacific island countries as part of Washington's broad containment strategy against China.
- Central China's Zhengzhou plans real estate fund worth up to 10 billion yuan for distressed sector Global Times 07 Aug 2022 -- The city of Zhengzhou, of Central China's Henan Province, has announced a real estate fund worth up to 10 billion yuan ($1.47 billion) to leverage social funds and default mortgage risks. This is the first Chinese city to implement a regional real estate fund after a number of Chinese homebuyers decided to suspend loan repayments for unfinished projects since July, chinatimes reported on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list