Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 August 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Macao loosens border restrictions with mainland as pandemic under control People's Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- China's Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) on Wednesday loosened land border restrictions with the mainland's Zhuhai city, Guangdong Province, as the latest wave of COVID-19 outbreak is under control.
- Chinese mainland reports 53 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Wednesday reported 53 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 24 in Hainan and 10 in Inner Mongolia, according to the National Health Commission's report Thursday.
- Chinese drills could provide lessons on tackling future threats: Experts CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- China's ongoing live-fire drills around Taiwan could provide insights into how to meet future threats from the People's Liberation Army (PLA), experts said Thursday at a forum in Taipei.
- Army fires warning flares at Chinese drone spotted over Kinmen CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- Army units in Kinmen fired warning flares on two occasions at a Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) drone spotted flying in the vicinity of the offshore county Wednesday night, Taiwan's military said Thursday.
- President Tsai calls China's live-fire drills 'irresponsible act' CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (è”¡è‹±æ–‡) said China firing missiles near busy international flight and sea routes around Taiwan on Thursday is an irresponsible act that stirs up tensions in the Indo-Pacific region, demanding Beijing act with greater self-restraint.
- G7, EU urge China to refrain from 'aggressive military activity' CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- The Group of Seven (G7) leading industrial nations and the European Union have called on Beijing to refrain from "aggressive military activity" in the Taiwan Strait, one day after China said it would hold live-fire exercises near Taiwan starting Thursday.
- China cannot stop world leaders from visiting Taiwan: Pelosi CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said that despite China's best efforts to sideline Taiwan on the international stage, Beijing could not prevent world leaders from traveling to the self-ruled democracy.
- Flights, ships rerouted to avoid Chinese military drills CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- As a result of the live-fire drills around Taiwan being conducted by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), a total of 74 passenger flights and 35 ships took alternative routes in and out of the nation Thursday from noon until 4 p.m., according to Taiwan's transportation authorities.
- MAC issues China travel advisory in wake of activist arrest report CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has urged Taiwanese citizens to assess the risks of visiting China after Taiwanese activist Yang Chih-yuan (æ¥Šæ™ºæ·µ) was reportedly arrested on national security and anti-secession charges in Wenzhou, Zhejiang Province Wednesday.
- US Postpones Missile Tests to Lower Tensions with China on Taiwan VOA 04 Aug 2022 -- The White House announced a series of steps aimed to defend a "free and open Indo-Pacific" following Chinese firing of at least 11 ballistic missiles into waters encircling Taiwan on Thursday, a day after U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wrapped up a visit to the island that enraged Beijing.
- With Pelosi Gone, China Circles Taiwan with Missiles VOA 04 Aug 2022 -- China fired at least 11 ballistic missiles into water encircling Taiwan Thursday, according to Taiwanese authorities, a day after U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wrapped up a visit that enraged Beijing.
- China kicks off war games with ballistic missiles into the sea off Taiwan Radio Free Asia 04 Aug 2022 -- Unprecedented Chinese live-fire maritime drills got underway on Thursday with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) launching ballistic missiles into the waters around Taiwan, the Taiwanese defense ministry said.
- China fires multiple Dongfeng missiles into waters near Taiwan: MND CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) fired multiple ballistic missiles into waters near Taiwan Thursday as part of military exercises that commenced near the island at noon, Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) has confirmed.
- 22 Chinese aircraft cross Taiwan Strait median line as PLA launches drills CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- Twenty-two Chinese aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait on Thursday, the first day of live-fire drills held by China's military in multiple locations around Taiwan, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- China fires 11 Dongfeng ballistic missiles into waters off Taiwan: MND CNA 04 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) fired 11 ballistic missiles into waters near Taiwan Thursday afternoon, Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) confirmed, adding that it had "activated" related defense systems, and is closely monitoring the situation.
- PLA aircraft carrier group with nuclear-powered submarine joins drills around Taiwan: expert Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has sent an aircraft carrier group featuring at least one nuclear-powered submarine to the ongoing drills around the island of Taiwan for its first carrier deterrence exercise, said an expert affiliated with the PLA on Thursday.
- PLA launches long-range rocket artillery, conventional missiles in drills around Taiwan Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) launched large-scale military exercises surrounding the island of Taiwan on Thursday, starting with live-fire shooting of long-range rocket artillery into the designated areas in the eastern part of Taiwan Straits and test launches of conventional missiles to designated waters in the east of Taiwan island.
- Defense Ministry spokesperson Tan Kefei's remarks on PLA's military countermeasures PLA Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense, made remarks Thursday on the series of military countermeasures taken by the Chinese People's Liberation Army in response to the U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit to China's Taiwan region. The following is the full text of the remarks:
- PLA rocket force completes missile assault drill in eastern waters off Taiwan Island with all targets hit PLA Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- Senior Colonel Shi Yi, spokesperson for the Eastern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), released a written statement on Thursday that the combat units of the rocket force under the PLA Eastern Theater Command conducted a multi-zone fire assault drill in the predetermined sea areas of the open waters off eastern Taiwan Island on the afternoon of August 4.
- PLA conducts live-fire exercise in eastern Taiwan Strait PLA Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- The ground force under the Eastern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) conducted long-range live-fire gunnery training exercise in the Taiwan Strait on Thursday at around 13:00, carrying out precision strikes on specific areas in the eastern part of the Taiwan Strait, and expected results have been achieved.
- China starts live-fire exercises around Taiwan in response to Pelosi visit Press TV 04 Aug 2022 -- China has begun large-scale military sea and air exercises around Chinese Taipei in response to US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit to the island and amid soaring tensions between Washington and Beijing over the highly-controversial trip.
- China-Japan FM talks cancelled after G7 unjustly criticizes China over Taiwan question Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- Talks between the Chinese and Japanese foreign ministers, which were reportedly scheduled for Thursday afternoon on the sidelines of ASEAN events in Phnom Penh, have been cancelled, after Japan with other Group of Seven (G7) members and the European Union (EU) issued a statement that unjustly accused China over the Taiwan question, a spokesperson of the Chinese Foreign Ministry confirmed on Thursday afternoon.
- US only brings about disaster to people they said they stand with: Chinese FM responds to Pelosi's provocative claim and visit to island of Taiwan Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- History repeatedly proves that US politicians will only bring about chaos and disaster to the people they said they stand with, Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Thursday in response to Nancy Pelosi's statement that her visit to the island of Taiwan "should be seen as a strong statement that America stands with Taiwan."
- China's comprehensive measures are necessary, timely defensive countermeasures: State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- China's current and future comprehensive measures are necessary and timely defensive countermeasures. They have been carefully considered and evaluated, are aimed at safeguarding national sovereignty and security and are in line with international and domestic laws, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said during the foreign ministers' meetings on East Asia cooperation in Cambodia on Thursday when elaborating China's position on the provocative actions of the US that are in violation of China's sovereignty.
- G7 statement over Taiwan 'shameless,' reminiscent of 'Eight-Power Allied Forces': Chinese FM, Mission to EU Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry and the Chinese Mission to the EU on Thursday slammed the statement of the G7 foreign ministers and the EU high representative over China's Taiwan region following US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit to the island, saying it is "ugly" and "shameless," and is reminiscent of the "Eight-Power Allied Forces" that invaded China a hundred years ago.
- Beijing Warns Washington's Taiwan Policies Will Fail as Chinese Military Launches Major Drills Sputnik 04 Aug 2022 -- On Wednesday, top Chinese diplomat Wang Yi condemned US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit to Taiwan, pledging to slap "tough" sanctions in a retaliation move.
- Hong Kong toes party line on Taiwan as Chinese diplomat threatens 're-education' Radio Free Asia 04 Aug 2022 -- Senior officials in Hong Kong's new administration have been lining up to show their loyalty to the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) by condemning U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit to Taiwan, as U.K. lawmakers were reportedly planning their own Taiwan trip.
- Taiwan warns citizens to be cautious of going to China after activist arrest Radio Free Asia 04 Aug 2022 -- Authorities in Taiwan on Thursday warned the democratic island's 23 million citizens not to travel to China unless absolutely necessary, after police in China's Zhejiang announced the arrest of a Taiwanese national for "separatism."
- ASEAN urges 'maximum restraint' as China launches missile exercises around Taiwan Radio Free Asia 04 Aug 2022 -- Southeast Asian nations called for "maximum restraint" as China launched ballistic missiles into the waters around Taiwan on Thursday, while Western nations urged Beijing not to escalate tensions further after U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi visited the island.
- US Expects Further Incursions From China's Military in Taiwan Territory - Kirby Sputnik 04 Aug 2022 -- The US government expects China's People's Liberation Army to proceed with further military incursions in Taiwan's territory, National Security Council Strategic Communications Coordinator John Kirby said on Thursday.
- Kremlin: China's Military Exercises Off Taiwan Its Sovereign Right Sputnik 04 Aug 2022 -- China's military exercises near Taiwan are its sovereign right, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Thursday, noting that tensions in the region were artificially provoked by the visit of US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to the island.
- Tokyo Lodges Protest With Beijing After 5 Chinese Missiles Fell in Japan's EEZ, Reports Say Sputnik 04 Aug 2022 -- Tokyo has lodged a protest with Beijing after five Chinese missiles fell in the exclusive economic zone of Japan, the Kyodo news agency reported on Thursday.
- G7 statement over Taiwan 'shameless,' reminiscent of 'Eight-Power Allied Forces': Chinese Mission to EU Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- The Spokesperson of the Chinese Mission to the EU on Thursday slammed the statement of the G7 foreign ministers and the EU high representative over China's Taiwan region following US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit to the island, saying it is "ugly" and "shameless," and is reminiscent of the "Eight-Power Allied Forces" that invaded China a hundred years ago.
- Zhejiang state security organ summons Taiwan-born suspect for secession investigation Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- The state security bureau in Wenzhou city, East China's Zhejiang Province, summoned Yang Zhiyuan, a suspect from Taiwan, on Wednesday for investigation of his alleged involvement in "Taiwan independence" secessionist activities and of suspicion of endangering national security.
- PLA to start live fire drills 2 days after Pelosi's visit, leaves time for ship evacuations, airline adjustments Global Times 04 Aug 2022 -- Shortly after US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi landed in Taiwan for her provocative visit on Tuesday night, the Xinhua News Agency announced that the People's Liberation Army (PLA) would conduct a series of live fire military drills from Thursday to Saturday in six different areas that encircle the island from all directions.
- Taiwan's return to motherland a historical inevitability: Chinese FM People's Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Wednesday made clear here China's solemn position on Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi's visit to China's Taiwan region.
- China firm as rock in its resolution to achieve reunification of the motherland People's Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- In disregard of China's strong opposition and serious representations, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi visited China's Taiwan region.
- Tsai Ing-wen's words confound right and wrong: mainland spokesperson People's Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Wednesday blasted Taiwan leader Tsai Ing-wen's words for confusing right and wrong.
- Taiwan resident suspected of endangering national security detained in E China People's Daily 04 Aug 2022 -- Yang Chih-yuan, a Taiwan resident suspected of engaging in separatist activities and endangering national security, was detained by the national security organ of Wenzhou, east China's Zhejiang Province on Wednesday.
- India Reportedly Monitoring Chinese Surveillance Warship En Route to Sri Lanka Port Sputnik 04 Aug 2022 -- India is closely monitoring a Chinese navy vessel headed to Sri Lanka to top up its oil tank and has concerns over the ship's equipment including tracking antennas and sensors, Indian broadcaster NDTV reported on Thursday, citing sources.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on August 4, 2022 PRC MofA 04 Aug 2022
- Worries About China Cloud Run-Up to US Visit to Solomons VOA 04 Aug 2022 -- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman and U.S. Ambassador to Australia Caroline Kennedy will travel to the Solomon Islands this week to commemorate the start of the U.S. battle there 80 years ago during World War II. The visit will highlight the current contest between the U.S. and China over which country has more influence in the Pacific Island region.
- Iranian, Chinese delegates to JCPOA talks meet in Vienna IRNA 04 Aug 2022 -- The Iranian and Chinese negotiators in the talks over the revival of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, known as the JCPOA, held talks in Vienna on Thursday.
- Vietnamese garment manufacturers struggle to comply with U.S. ban on Xinjiang cotton Radio Free Asia 04 Aug 2022 -- Vietnam's heavy reliance on cotton imports from China could lead it to fall foul of a U.S. ban on cotton produced by forced labor in Xinjiang province. Vietnamese manufacturers say it is hard to prove where the fabric in their garments comes from.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list