Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
01 August 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- TSMC 'non-operable' if China invades Taiwan: Chairman CNA 01 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) Chairman Mark Liu (åŠ‰å¾·éŸ³) said that a Chinese invasion of Taiwan would render TSMC's factories "non-operable" and create "great economic turmoil" on both sides of the Taiwan Strait.
- Chinese FM spokesperson urges Biden not to allow Pelosi's visit to Taiwan Global Times 01 Aug 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian on Monday reiterated a warning that the US should not arrange a visit by US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to the island of Taiwan, stressing that it would lead to serious consequences.
- US urges China not to stir up crisis over expected Taiwan visit by Nancy Pelosi Radio Free Asia 01 Aug 2022 -- Top U.S. officials said Monday China should not use a visit to Taiwan by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as a pretext for saber rattling or aggressive military actions in the region, after Beijing issued fresh threats on the eve of the expected trip.
- White House: Nancy Pelosi Has Not Confirmed Any Travel Plans to Taiwan, but She Has Right to Visit Sputnik 01 Aug 2022 -- Pelosi's plans to visit Taiwan have sparked a major backlash from Beijing, which condemns any official contacts between the US and Taiwan. The Chinese side has repeatedly claimed that by pursuing the trip Washington would infringe on the one-China principle and jeopardize US-China bilateral relations.
- China Warns Military Won't 'Sit Idly By' If Pelosi Lands in Taiwan Sputnik 01 Aug 2022 -- Pelosi announced her Asia trip on Sunday but skipped mentioning a possible visit to Taiwan, which has been reported by several media outlets. Her visit, if it takes place, will coincide with a military exercise carried out by the Chinese People's Liberation Army across the Taiwan Strait.
- Pelosi Visits Singapore Amid Speculation on Taiwan Stop VOA 01 Aug 2022 -- U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi arrived Monday in Singapore for a two-day official visit, amid speculation that her Asia trip could include a stop in Taiwan â€” a possibility that prompted the White House to reassure Beijing that U.S. policy has not changed, and to urge Chinese leaders not to escalate an already strained relationship between the two great powers.
- UK Lawmakers Intend to Visit Taiwan Amid Escalating Tensions in Region - Reports Sputnik 01 Aug 2022 -- The Foreign Affairs Committee of the UK House of Commons is planning to visit Taiwan later this year, probably in November or early December amid mounting tensions in UK-China bilateral relation and rising insecurity in the Taiwan Strait, The Guardian newspaper reported on Monday, citing sources.
- China determined to safeguard its sovereignty, senior envoys say People's Daily 01 Aug 2022 -- China is resolute in safeguarding its national sovereignty and will never allow any room for "Taiwan independence" forces in whatever form, senior envoys said.
- PLA conducts mock night time drills amid Pelosi's possible Taiwan visit Global Times 01 Aug 2022 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Eastern Theater Command has recently organized naval aviation force to conduct mock air combat training after midnight, aiming to promote the pilots' ability to quickly enter combat status for abnormal situations at any time.
- PLA's air tanker YY-20 boosts combat readiness training PLA Daily 01 Aug 2022 -- At the press conference held on Sunday for the air force aviation open-house activity and the Changchun aviation exhibition, Senior Colonel Shen Jinke, spokesperson for the PLA Air Force (PLAAF) said that the air force's YY-20 refueling aircraft and the J-16 fighter carried out aerial refueling training above the sea recently, which marks an improvement of the combat training level.
- PLA Eastern Theater Command conducts mock night time air combat training Global Times 01 Aug 2022 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Eastern Theater Command has recently organized naval aviation force for mock air combat training after midnight. Such training aims to promote the pilots' ability to quickly enter combat status for abnormal situations at any time.
- Xi attends reception celebrating 95th founding anniversary of PLA People's Daily 01 Aug 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Sunday attended a reception to celebrate the 95th founding anniversary of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), which falls on Aug. 1.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 1, 2022 PRC MofA 01 Aug 2022
- DPRK Minister of National Defence Sends Greetings to His Chinese Counterpart KCNA 01 Aug 2022 -- Ri Yong Gil, minister of National Defence of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, sent a message of greeting to Wei Fenghe, state councilor and minister of National Defense of the People's Republic of China, on the occasion of the 95th founding anniversary of the Chinese People's Liberation Army.
- INTERVIEW: Hong Kong Chronicles is CCP's bid to rewrite city's history Radio Free Asia 01 Aug 2022 -- Authorities in Hong Kong last week launched the first English volume of the "Hong Kong Chronicles," as the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) moved to sponsor an official history of the former British colony using a traditional format for local records. The first English volume, titled "Overview and Chronology," covers more than 7,000 years since the city's roots in prehistoric fishing settlements in the Pearl River Delta. But according to veteran journalist Ching Cheong, the move is also a bid by the CCP to rewrite the city's history amid an ongoing crackdown on political opposition and public dissent under the national security law:
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list