Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports 86 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 86 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 32 in Guangxi, 23 in Gansu and 17 in Sichuan, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- More test kits distributed in Hong Kong after detection of COVID-19 virus in sewage samples People's Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Wednesday that it would distribute 315,000 COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- China's defense ministry issues fresh, rare warning 'action the most powerful language' over Pelosi's Taiwan visit; reinforces resolve Global Times 28 Jul 2022 -- Action is the most powerful language, said the Chinese Defense Ministry on Thursday as its spokesperson stressed the sensitivity of the Taiwan question again after China issued six warnings against US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's potential visit to Taiwan island over the past few days.
- US aircraft carrier group on route to Chinese Taipei amid tensions over Pelosi's planned visit Press TV 28 Jul 2022 -- A US aircraft carrier strike group is headed toward Chinese Taipei as tensions mount between the United States and China over a potential visit to the self-ruled island by US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
- USS Ronald Reagan reenters South China Sea amid tension over Pelosi visit Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2022 -- The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan and its strike group re-entered the South China Sea and is heading north as China threatens military action should U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi make a visit to Taiwan.
- Chinese ships' activities in waters off Diaoyu Islands legitimate and lawful: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- The activities of Chinese ships in waters off the Diaoyu Islands are completely legitimate and lawful, and the Japanese side has no right to make irresponsible remarks, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- Four consensuses reached in 16th China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- "In the 16th round of China-India Corps Commander-Level Meeting, the two sides discussed issues in a constructive and forward-looking way, and reached four consensuses," said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- Chinese drone detected near Taiwan-held island close to China: Army CNA 28 Jul 2022 -- A Chinese drone was detected on two occasions flying close to an island held by the Republic of China (Taiwan's offical name) near the Chinese coast earlier Thursday, before being warned away by soldiers using flares, Taiwan's military said Thursday.
- China reinforces bilateral 'guardrail' to US; Partisan struggle may 'bring crisis to Taiwan Straits' Global Times 28 Jul 2022 -- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's unconfirmed plan of a trip to the island of Taiwan keeps troubling the US as Pelosi, US President Joe Biden and Democrats are now facing pressure instead of "encouragements" from the Republicans on the matter, with Chinese experts warning that if the US eventually let the partisan struggle and internal politics hijack its strategic decision-making, it would definitely bring a new crisis in the Taiwan Straits.
- If anyone tries to separate Taiwan from China and wants to challenge China's bottom line, PLA will take forceful measures: Chinese ambassador to US Global Times 28 Jul 2022 -- If anyone tries to separate the island of Taiwan from the country, if anyone wants to challenge China's bottom line, Chinese military will take forceful measures to firmly safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity, Chinese Ambassador to the US told at a recent event.
- India says monitoring reports of Chinese vessel's planned visit to Sri Lanka Press TV 28 Jul 2022 -- India says it is aware of reports about a Chinese vessel's planned visit to a Sri Lankan port as both countries are vying for influence in the island nation amid the ongoing political turmoil.
- China urges SK to stick to commitment despite change of govt, as 'Three No's' on THAAD 'plays key role in mutual trust' Global Times 27 Jul 2022 -- "A commitment made should be a commitment kept despite change of government," said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian on Wednesday, urging South Korea to act prudently over the major issues concerning the security of its neighbors, after the South Korean foreign ministry claimed that the preceding Moon Jae-in government's "Three No's" policy over the THAAD issue is not a commitment to China.
- China will firmly take countermeasures against US deployment of intermediate-range missiles in Japan: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- Senior Colonel Wu Qian, the spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, expressed a serious warning against the United States' attempt to deploy intermediate-range ballistic missile in Japan at a news conference held on Thursday. "If it is put into practice, China will take resolute countermeasures, and the US and Japan should have no illusions about this," said the spokesperson.
- Z-10 attack helicopter enters service with PLA Hong Kong Garrison Global Times 28 Jul 2022 -- Official reports show that Z-10 attack helicopters for the first time participated in a recent patrol exercise organized by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Hong Kong Garrison, indicating that the garrison has commissioned this type of helicopter to provide escort and air support to other helicopters, vessels and ground troops in joint operations, experts said on Thursday.
- Xi stresses persistent efforts to reach PLA centenary goals Global Times 28 Jul 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has stressed persistent efforts to strive ahead with diligence to realize the goals set for the 100th anniversary of the founding of the People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- China resolutely opposes NATO's new strategic concept document: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- China urges NATO to stop making up lies, stirring up camp confrontation and creating tensions, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference in Beijing on Thursday.
- Defense ministry refutes 'China threat' hype by US officials PLA Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- Rumor mongers will fail in their attempts to smear China, the Defense Ministry said on Thursday in response to some officials from the United States who have hyped up the "China threat" theory recently.
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping sets out five-year strategy ahead of bid for third term Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2022 -- Ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping has set out his political strategy for the next five years ahead of his bid for an unprecedented third term in office at the 20th party congress later in the year.
- Xi stresses upholding socialism with Chinese characteristics to build modern socialist country People's Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- President Xi Jinping has stressed holding high the banner of socialism with Chinese characteristics and striving to write a brand new chapter in building a modern socialist country in all respects.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on July 28, 2022 PRC MofA 28 Jul 2022
- China's Xi tells US Biden not to 'play with fire', stick to 'one China' policy over Taiwan Press TV 28 Jul 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has warned his American counterpart Joe Biden not to "play with fire" over the Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), urging the US leader to abide by the "one China" policy.
- China's Xi warns Biden over 'playing with fire' on Taiwan in 5th call as leaders Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2022 -- Washington should avoid "playing with fire" on the issue of Taiwan, Chinese President Xi Jinping warned U.S. President Joe Biden Thursday, ahead of a possible trip by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to the democratic island Beijing says is a runaway province.
- Taiwan Looms Over Biden-Xi Call VOA 28 Jul 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping spoke at length Thursday morning amid tensions over a proposed visit to Taiwan by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, which Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian has warned would "be met with forceful measures."
- Background Press Call on President Biden's Call with President Xi Jinping of the People's Republic of China The White House 28 Jul 2022
- Biden, Xi Speak By Phone VOA 28 Jul 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping spoke Thursday morning about what the White House said would be a range of issues, including economic matters, tensions about Taiwan and Russia's war in Ukraine.
- Readout of President Biden's Call with President Xi Jinping of the People's Republic of China The White House 28 Jul 2022
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's opening remarks at a meeting with Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China Wang Yi, Tashkent, July 28, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 28 Jul 2022
- US Urged to Clarify Approach to Cambodia's Drift Toward China VOA 28 Jul 2022 -- Over the past decade the United States has been torn between "righteous indignation" and "democratic backsliding and pragmatic engagement," in its dealings with Cambodia, according to a recent report that criticizes Washington for issuing sanctions on Cambodia as a way to reverse its deteriorating record on human rights and return the country to a democratic path.
- China Spotlighted in Kenya's Presidential Race VOA 28 Jul 2022 -- As campaigning gears up for Kenya's August 9 presidential elections, the two main candidates are both focused on one key talking point - the economy - and this inevitably means the country's controversial relationship with China is coming under the spotlight.
- Hong Kong: Statement by the Spokesperson on civil and political rights European External Action Service (EEAS) 28 Jul 2022 -- The EU welcomes the release of the Committee's concluding remarks on the fourth periodic review of Hong Kong under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) on 27 July 2022. The provisions of the ICCPR are enshrined in the laws of the Special Administrative Region (SAR) of Hong Kong, including Hong Kong's Basic Law and Bill of Rights Ordinance and reflected in the Sino-British Joint Declaration. Therefore, Hong Kong's domestic laws must be compatible with international standards.
- China urges UN human rights chief's office to refuse lie-based Xinjiang 'assessment' Global Times 28 Jul 2022 -- China on Thursday called on the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights to respect Chinese people's concerns and refuse to release a fake report concerning China's Xinjiang region, echoing an open letter from about 1,000 domestic and foreign nongovernmental organizations.
- China's MIIT minister under investigation: CCDI Global Times 28 Jul 2022 -- Xiao Yaqing, the Chinese Minister of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), is under investigation on suspicion of disciplinary and law violations, the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI), China's top anti-graft body, announced on Thursday.
- China to Aid Developers as Homebuyers Boycott Mortgages VOA 28 Jul 2022 -- Chinese authorities are promising to establish an initial rescue fund of $11.8 billion (80 billion yuan) to offset a looming crisis in the real estate sector, where homebuyers routinely purchase residences from developers' plans and begin making mortgage payments before the dwellings are finished.
- Report on TikTok's 'excessive' harvesting of user data sparks security concerns Radio Free Asia 28 Jul 2022 -- A recent report detailing massive amounts of user data collected by TikTok has sparked privacy concerns around the hugely popular video app, which is owned by Chinese internet company ByteDance.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list