Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China continues to adapt border control to COVID-19 situation: authority People's Daily 26 Jul 2022 -- China's National Immigration Administration (NIA) will continue to adjust and improve entry-and-exit control measures in line with the changing COVID-19 situation to fully meet people's necessary need for cross-border travel, a spokesperson said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 98 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 98 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 37 in Gansu, 32 in Guangxi and 16 in Sichuan, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Over 194,000 people in Hong Kong take 4th dose of COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 26 Jul 2022 -- Over 194,000 people in Hong Kong have taken the fourth dose of COVID-19 vaccines, official data showed Monday.
- Controls tighten to prevent imported monkeypox People's Daily 26 Jul 2022 -- Chinese customs has further tightened controls over potential imported monkeypox infections following the World Health Organization's designation of the contagious disease as a global health emergency over the weekend.
- Monkeypox will not cause mass infection in China: chief epidemiologist Global Times 26 Jul 2022 -- Monkeypox will not cause a mass infection in China, Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiologist of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said on Monday on Chinese Twitter-like social media Sina Weibo.
- US officials: Chinese aggression in contested waterway could provoke 'major incident' Radio Free Asia 26 Jul 2022 -- China's aggressive behavior in the South China Sea could lead to a "major incident," U.S. government officials warned on Tuesday, while offering solutions for military and diplomatic deterrence during a forum at a Washington think-tank.
- Tibetans returning from exile questioned by Chinese authorities Radio Free Asia 26 Jul 2022 -- Tibetans returning from exile to their home regions in Tibet are being summoned for questioning by Chinese authorities watching for signs of disloyalty or separatist sentiment, Tibetan sources say.
- Chinese spy drone flies east of Hualien as Han Kuang drills begin CNA 26 Jul 2022 -- The Japanese military reported a Chinese reconnaissance drone flying in international waters off the coast of Hualien County as Taiwan kicked off the live-fire phase of its annual Han Kuang military exercises on Monday.
- Chinese strike drone flies near Taiwan as island stages military drills Radio Free Asia 26 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese military flew a reconnaissance and strike drone near Taiwan for the first time just as the island staged its largest multi-force drills to boost self-defense capabilities.
- PLA will not sit idly by if Pelosi visits Taiwan island, Chinese defense ministry warns; indicating PLA 'fully prepared' for all scenarios Global Times 26 Jul 2022 -- After the Chinese Foreign Ministry stressed that China had made sterner warnings to US officials and China is fully prepared for any eventuality over US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's planned Taiwan trip on Monday, the Chinese Defense Ministry on Tuesday vowed that if the US insists, the Chinese military will by no means sit idly by and strong measures will be taken to thwart any external interference and "Taiwan independence" separatist attempts.
- China firmly opposes U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's planned visit to Taiwan: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 26 Jul 2022
- Chinese military will not sit back if Pelosi visits Taiwan PLA Daily 26 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese military will not sit back if U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi visits Taiwan, a Chinese defense spokesperson warned on Tuesday.
- White House Helping Pelosi Make Best Decision About Possible Trip to Taiwan Sputnik 26 Jul 2022 -- The White House continues to provide House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will all the information needed to help her make the best decision on her possible trip to Taiwan, White House National Security Council Strategic Communications Coordinator John Kirby said on Tuesday.
- China Raises Stakes Over Pelosi Trip to Taiwan VOA 26 Jul 2022 -- U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's potential plan to visit Taiwan during her trip to Asia in August has prompted a belligerent response from China, with the spokesman for the Foreign Ministry warning that Beijing would "act strongly to resolutely respond" and "take countermeasures" if Pelosi traveled to the island.
- Chinese Military Slams Japan's Annual Defense Report Over Taiwan Comments Sputnik 26 Jul 2022 -- The Defense of Japan 2022 white paper undermines the foundations of Chinese-Japanese relations by making unfounded statements on Taiwan's security, Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman Wu Qian said on Tuesday.
- China-France developed Z-15 helicopter receives qualification certificate to enter market Global Times 26 Jul 2022 -- Civil Aviation Administration of China on Tuesday awarded a qualification certificate to the Z-15, a medium-sized, multipurpose helicopter also known as the AC352, marking the successful development of this type of chopper which is now eligible to enter China's civilian market, the helicopter's maker announced.
- China's FH-95 electronic warfare drone passes performance test Global Times 26 Jul 2022 -- China's domestically developed FH-95 electronic warfare unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) passed a milestone test that examined the aircraft's performance, with experts saying on Tuesday that the new UAV's electronic warfare capabilities will add a new dimension to the popular armed reconnaissance drones.
- Japan has made a very dangerous move: Defense spokesperson PLA Daily 26 Jul 2022
- New Portman Report Details China's Efforts to Target, Influence, and Undermine U.S. Federal Reserve Banks Senate HSGAC - Minority Media 26 Jul 2022 -- "Today, U.S. Senator Rob Portman (R-OH), Ranking Member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, released a new report detailing China's malign efforts to target, influence, and undermine the U.S. Federal Reserve. Based on a Federal Reserve counterintelligence analysis and unheeded FBI recommendations to change the Federal Reserve's policies and procedures, this report finds the Federal Reserve has been the target of an extended and effective Chinese malign influence and information theft campaign."
- Senate Report Alleges Chinese Effort to Infiltrate Federal Reserve VOA 26 Jul 2022 -- Fed Chair Jerome Powell and a senior member of Congress are at odds over a report issued Tuesday by Senate Republicans alleging that China is trying to infiltrate the Federal Reserve and that the central bank has done too little to stop it.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on July 26, 2022 PRC MofA 26 Jul 2022
- President Xi Jinping Holds Talks withâ€‚Indonesian President Joko Widodo PRC MofA 26 Jul 2022 -- On the afternoon of 26 July, President Xi Jinping held talks with Indonesian President Joko Widodo at the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing. In a warm and friendly atmosphere, the two presidents had a comprehensive and in-depth exchange of views and reached a series of important common understandings on China-Indonesia relations and on international and regional issues of mutual interest.
- Joint Press Statement on the Bilateral Meeting between President of the People's Republic of China andâ€‚President of the Republic of Indonesia PRC MofA 26 Jul 2022
- Widodo starts China trip, to focus on trade, mutual coordination on regional affairs Global Times 26 Jul 2022 -- With President Joko Widodo of the Republic of Indonesia being the first foreign leader to visit China since the Winter Olympics in February this year, the ties between China and Indonesia are set to witness an all-round upgrade after his visit, Chinese observers said on Monday. They noted that both sides are not only eyeing to uplift cooperation on trade and infrastructure, but also inching toward cooperation on building "a community with a shared future for mankind" and upholding multilateralism and fair development for international community.
- 2nd China-Africa Peace and Security Forum Ministerial Meeting kicks off PLA Daily 26 Jul 2022 -- The second China-Africa Peace and Security Forum Ministerial Meeting was held via video link on July 25, 2022. Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe attended the meeting.
- Uyghur prisoners forced to speak in Chinese during virtual visits with relatives Radio Free Asia 26 Jul 2022 -- Uyghurs prisoners in Xinjiang are forced to speak in Mandarin and perform obvious displays of subservience to their Chinese guards in monthly video calls with relatives, Uyghurs living in exile say.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list