Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Smaller Chinese cities battle Omicron resurgence with limited medical resources, financial pressure Global Times 20 Jul 2022 -- The latest COVID-19 flare-ups have hit smaller cities in some provinces such as East China's Anhui Province and Northwest China's Gansu Province, showing a rising risk, as smaller regions face greater challenge due to limited medical resources and increasing financial pressure.
- Vice premier says China not loosening COVID response People's Daily 20 Jul 2022 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has said the country's latest COVID-19 response protocols require better precision in delivering prevention and control measures and fixing loopholes rather than letting down the guard.
- Chinese mainland reports 108 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported 108 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 47 in Gansu, 21 in Guangxi, and 20 in Guangdong, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Hong Kong to distribute 295,000 RAT kits following sewage COVID-19 detection People's Daily 20 Jul 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Tuesday that it will distribute around 295,000 sets of COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Aircraft carrier Shandong sails through Taiwan Straits amid US warship's 'cost-saving' provocation Global Times 20 Jul 2022 -- The aircraft carrier Shandong of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy reportedly sailed through the Taiwan Straits on Tuesday, the same day a US destroyer also made a transit in the region, with experts saying on Wednesday that the US warship's provocative move, which came right after its consecutive trespasses in Xisha and Nansha islands in the South China Sea last week, is a desperate and cost-saving attempt to hype tensions and contain China as the US faces China's growing capabilities, while the Chinese carrier was just returning to base after a regular maintenance.
- Chinese military slams US warship's transit through Taiwan Strait PLA Daily 20 Jul 2022 -- The US guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold sailed through the Taiwan Strait on July 19 and hyped it up publicly. The Eastern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) sent its naval and air forces to conduct security tracking and monitoring of the US warship in the whole course, said Senior Colonel Shi Yi, spokesperson for the PLA Eastern Theater Command, in a written statement released on Wednesday.
- China Accuses US of Undermining Peace After American Warship Sails Through Taiwan Strait Sputnik 20 Jul 2022 -- The United States is undermining peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait, Col. Shi Yi, a spokesperson for the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Eastern Theater Command said on Wednesday.
- U.S. warship sails through Taiwan Strait CNA 20 Jul 2022 -- A U.S. warship sailed passed international waters in the Taiwan Strait on Tuesday to show Washington's "commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific," the 7th Fleet under the U.S. Pacific Command said in a statement.
- China strongly opposes Pelosi's plan to visit Taiwan People's Daily 20 Jul 2022 -- A spokesperson for the Taiwan Affairs Office of China's State Council on Tuesday voiced strong opposition to U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi's plan to visit China's Taiwan region.
- China censures US as 'maker of security risks' after sailing of American warship through Taiwan Strait Press TV 20 Jul 2022 -- China has denounced the United States as a 'maker of security risks' after another American warship sailed through the Taiwan Strait, a strategically-sensitive waterway that separates the self-ruled Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) from mainland China.
- Gen. Milley orders review of US-Chinese military encounters amid rising tensions Press TV 20 Jul 2022 -- America's top general has ordered a comprehensive review of all encounters between the US and Chinese militaries over the past five years in the South China Sea and beyond, defense officials said.
- China Denounces US Regarding Space as 'Warfighting Domain', Calls for 'Peace and Stability' in Orbit Sputnik 20 Jul 2022 -- Last month, the US Space Force (USSF) launched a new intelligence center and US Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines called space "a warfighting domain." The military branch was launched in 2019 as Washington began to fret it was losing its half-century of dominance in US orbit.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on July 20, 2022 PRC MofA 20 Jul 2022
- U.S. "coercive diplomacy" in chip industry will end in failure, says Chinese spokesperson People's Daily 20 Jul 2022 -- The United States' move to politicize sci-tech and trade issues and undermine international trade rules and global market will eventually end in failure, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Tuesday.
- Russia Remains China's Largest Oil Supplier For Second Month Running RFE/RL 20 Jul 2022 -- Russia was China's main oil supplier for the second month running in June as buyers shunned Saudi Arabian crude to take advantage of lower-priced supplies offered by Moscow.
- Chinese Embassy in Zimbabwe Accused of Bullying Media VOA 20 Jul 2022 -- The Media Alliance of Zimbabwe has condemned the Chinese embassy in Harare for threatening a weekly newspaper after it published articles on violations by Chinese mining companies.
- Duterte aide: Marcos administration should drop China-backed loans for rail projects Radio Free Asia 20 Jul 2022 -- The new government in the Philippines should seek loans from other sources after China left three heavily promoted railway projects unfunded during Rodrigo Duterte's entire six-year term, a top planner for the former president said.
- Chinese pressure on UN rights chief prompts US call for release of Xinjiang report Radio Free Asia 20 Jul 2022 -- The U.S. called on the United Nations human rights chief on Wednesday release a report on conditions in Xinjiang "without delay," after a report that China was working behind the scenes at the UN to bury the long-delayed document.
- China moves to stave off crisis of confidence in banks amid mortgage strike, freezes Radio Free Asia 20 Jul 2022 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is moving to dampen concerns about a banking crisis amid an ongoing mortgage repayments strike and widespread protests over frozen accounts at rural banks.
- Premier Li makes latest avowal of opening-up, reasonable growth in reassuring message to foreign business community Global Times 20 Jul 2022 -- Reaffirming opening-up as China's fundamental national policy, Premier Li Keqiang on Tuesday assured the foreign business community that the country will efficiently coordinate COVID-19 containment and economic and social development, and strive to get the economy back on track.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list