Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- 20 provincial-level regions report COVID-19 cases with multiple surpassing 400 on daily basis Global Times 19 Jul 2022 -- More than 20 provincial-level regions in the Chinese mainland have reported locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, and daily caseloads have begun to tick up in recent days. Epidemiologists said this new wave is challenging the coping ability of more inland and small cities, which are not as well equipped as metropolises, and emerging subvariants of Omicron further press anti-virus efforts as they spread faster and are harder to detect.
- New subvariants of Omicron found in China result in roughly same symptoms as other subvariants: CDC expert Global Times 19 Jul 2022 -- New subvariants of Omicron, such as BA.4 and BA.5, recently found in China result in roughly the same symptoms as other subvariants, said a virologist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), noting that China's current antivirus measures are effective in fending off those subvariants.
- Chinese mainland reports 199 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Monday reported 199 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 134 in Guangxi and 32 in Gansu, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- China's Anhui strives to ensure daily supplies amid COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 19 Jul 2022 -- East China's Anhui Province is taking a number of measures such as increasing supplies and monitoring prices to ensure the stable supply of daily necessities for those who are affected by the latest COVID-19 resurgence.
- U.S. warship sails near Taiwan, provoking furious response from Chinese media Radio Free Asia 19 Jul 2022 -- A U.S. warship sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Tuesday, only three days after two consecutive Freedom of Navigation Operations (FONOPs) in the South China Sea that drew strong protests from China.
- Pelosi could spark 'more serious' Taiwan Straits crisis; China-US ties would fall off cliff if Washington intended to crash 'guardrails' Global Times 19 Jul 2022 -- Once again, media has reported that US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi plans to visit Taiwan in August after an aborted April visit to Asia that might include a trip to China's island due to testing positive for COVID-19, with analysts saying that if she intends to make a blatant provocation against China, she would spark a much more dangerous incident than the Taiwan Straits Crisis in 1996, and it would cause a huge setback for China-US ties.
- China warns forceful countermeasures if US arranges Pelosi to visit Taiwan Global Times 19 Jul 2022 -- China urges the US to not arrange US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi to visit the Taiwan island and to stop creating tensions over the Taiwan Straits, or China will take forceful countermeasures to safeguard its national sovereignty and territorial integrity, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said at a routine press conference on Tuesday.
- MOFA rebukes incoming EU-China envoy for 'reunification' remark CNA 19 Jul 2022 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) reiterated Tuesday that "only the people of Taiwan can determine its future," after the European Union's incoming ambassador to China indicated support for "peaceful reunification" in an interview with a Spanish newspaper.
- China vows 'forceful measures' if US House Speaker Pelosi visits Taiwan Press TV 19 Jul 2022 -- China's foreign ministry on Tuesday warned that Beijing would take "forceful measures" if US House speaker Nancy Pelosi visits Chinese Taipei in August as reported by sections of US media.
- China urges U.S. to revoke arms sales plan to Taiwan People's Daily 19 Jul 2022 -- China firmly opposes U.S. arms sales to Taiwan and urges the United States to revoke the arms sales plan, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said here Monday.
- China firmly opposes U.S. arms sales to Taiwan: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 19 Jul 2022
- Joint Press Release of the 16th Round of China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting PLA Daily 19 Jul 2022 -- The 16th round China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting was held at Chushul-Moldo border meeting point on the Indian side on 17th July, 2022.
- Photo of what seems to be China's new submarine revealed in official report Global Times 19 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy recently revealed in an official report what seems to be a new type of conventionally powered submarine that foreign media speculated could offer enhanced stealth capabilities thanks to its new sail design.
- China Coast Guard ships to carry out fishery law enforcement patrol in North Pacific Ocean PLA Daily 19 Jul 2022 -- Two coast guard ships, the Changshan and the Shicheng dispatched by the China Coast Guard (CCG), set sail on Monday morning from Qingdao, a port city in east China's Shandong province, to carry out a 45-day annual fisheries law enforcement patrol mission on the high seas of the North Pacific Ocean.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on July 19, 2022 PRC MofA 19 Jul 2022
- Xi Jinping's Xinjiang visit may signal new emphasis on the assimilation of Uyghurs Radio Free Asia 19 Jul 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's recent visit to Xinjiang signals a new emphasis on the assimilation of the Uyghurs, a predominantly Muslim ethnic minority group the U.S. and other governments have said are victims of an ongoing genocide, analysts said.
- Cities in Henan move to settle unfinished, stalled housing projects Global Times 19 Jul 2022 -- Multiple cities in China have recently announced plans to help solve problems in the real estate industry, including setting up working groups and organizing meetings, after mortgage default risks raised concerns in recent weeks. Some unfinished and stalled housing projects are reportedly resumed construction.
- Extended compulsory medical insurance payments spark concerns over coverage in China Radio Free Asia 19 Jul 2022 -- Authorities across China have recently announced changes to employee health insurance lengthening the total overall contribution period to 30 years for men and 25 years for women.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list