Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Latest COVID-19 playbook revision 'an optimization, not a relaxation,' still valid in combating latest variants: top health experts Global Times 16 Jul 2022 -- The latest edition of China's previously announced COVID-19 playbook is an optimization, not a relaxation, of the anti-COVID model, and the instructed measures are still valid in combating the latest COVID-19 variants such as Omicron BA.4 and Omicron BA.5, China's top health experts told the media on Saturday.
- Shanghai identifies 23,000 close contacts related to infections spread in a karaoke Global Times 16 Jul 2022 -- Most of the recent COVID-19 infections reported in Shanghai have been traced back to an initial infection in a karaoke venue located in Putuo district, Shanghai's anti-epidemic expert team said on Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports 75 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Friday reported 75 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 31 in Gansu, 16 in Anhui and 15 in Guangdong, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- More test kits distributed in Hong Kong to trace COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 16 Jul 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Friday that it will distribute 275,000 COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Anhui county in E.China in closed management as 151 positive results discovered in one day; domestic vaccines, drugs send good news Global Times 16 Jul 2022 -- COVID-19 infections continue to increase in some Chinese cities as the country is faced with sporadic outbreaks caused by highly transmissible Omicron variants. Since Friday, the Huaiyuan county in East China's Anhui Province have been put under closed management after 151 positive results were reported during a primary nucleic acid testing the day before.
- US Conducts Freedom of Navigation Operation in South China Sea VOA 16 Jul 2022 -- The U.S. Navy says it has asserted its "navigational rights and freedoms in the South China Sea" by sailing one of its destroyers near the disputed Spratly Islands.
- US navy ship once again sails near disputed South China Sea islands Press TV 16 Jul 2022 -- The US navy says one of its destroyers has sailed near the disputed Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, the second such provocative move in the strategic waterway in a week.
- US warship's consecutive trespasses into Nansha, Xisha islands 'exposes own anxiety' Global Times 16 Jul 2022 -- A US destroyer sailed near the Nansha Islands in the South China Sea on Saturday, only a few days after it was driven away by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) from Chinese territorial waters off the Xisha Islands. Consecutive provocations from the US expose not only its navigational hegemony, but also its anxiety facing the growing capabilities of the PLA, experts said.
- US Navy Takes Yet Another Dig at Beijing on South China Sea 'Freedom of Navigation' Sputnik 16 Jul 2022 -- The principal of freedom of navigation grants free passage for ships under any sovereign state's flag in all cases, aside from some exceptions clarified by international law. The principle is codified in the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea - an accord not signed or ratified by the United States.
- Biden admin's 5th arms sale to Taiwan slammed for double dealing Global Times 16 Jul 2022 -- The US on Friday (US time) announced the fourth arms sale to the island of Taiwan in 2022 - the fifth total under the Joe Biden administration - despite the Taiwan question has been repeatedly mentioned in several recent China-US high-level meetings which showed consensus for avoiding escalating tension.
- China's Hopes High as Space Station Nears Completion VOA 16 Jul 2022 -- Chinese astronauts, known as taikonauts, and a ground crew are working to finish their country's first permanent orbiting space station and the world's second by year's end, official media outlets say.
- China launches two new satellites People's Daily 16 Jul 2022 -- China on Saturday launched a Long March-2C carrier rocket to place two satellites in space.
- Chinese, Lao militaries to hold "Peace Train-2022" joint humanitarian medical rescue exercise PLA Daily 16 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese and Lao militaries will hold "Peace Train-2022" joint humanitarian medical rescue exercise and medical service activities in Vientiane, Phonhong and its neighbouring areas in Laos in mid-late July.
- Xi Jinping's inspection tour of Xinjiang PLA Daily 16 Jul 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, recently inspected the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region in northwestern China and visited officials and the general public of different ethnic groups.
- Xinjiang no longer a remote corner, but a core area, hub in BRI: Xi Global Times 16 Jul 2022 -- Eight years after his visit to China's Xinjiang region in 2014, Chinese President Xi Jinping made a second trip to the northwest region and stressed efforts to fully and faithfully implement the policies of the Communist Party of China (CPC) for the governance of Xinjiang in the new era, highlighting social stability and lasting security as the overarching goal and the region's significant role in building the Belt and Road Initiative.
- Shanghai data breach exposes suppression of 'white-hat' security research in China Radio Free Asia 16 Jul 2022 -- Ren, a U.S. citizen who has lived in China for decades, didn't realize she was the victim of what could be the biggest data breach in Chinese history until she got a call from RFA.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list