Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
13 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Several Chinese cities temporarily seal off residential compounds amid COVID flare-ups Global Times 13 Jul 2022 -- Anti-epidemic staff check travelers' health code at the entrance of Zhengzhou East railway station on May 4th, 2022. Photo: VCG
Several Chinese cities have temporarily sealed off parts of city areas to curb the spread of the latest COVID-19 flare-ups, including Lanzhou in Northwest China's Gansu Province and multiple cities in Central China's Henan Province. Other regions, in face of the new round of virus spike especially the Omicron subvariant BA.5, rolled out targeted measures including the suspension of off-line school activities.
- 143 new COVID cases reported: NW China's Lanzhou enters a 7-day lockdown Global Times 13 Jul 2022 -- Lanzhou in Northwest China's Gansu Province has sealed off its four city districts in downtown area for seven days to curb the spread of the latest COVID-19 flare-up, which started from last Friday.
- Chinese local govts redress too strict anti-epidemic policies amid central govt, public supervision Global Times 13 Jul 2022 -- Chinese local governments are redressing some local policies, which were deemed as being too strict or discriminatory against recovered COVID-19 patients, after the central government urged local governments to rectify such regulations amid continued efforts to balance epidemic control and maintain normal life.
- COVID-19 pandemic "nowhere near over":WHO People's Daily 13 Jul 2022 -- The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is "nowhere near over" as the number of new cases worldwide has risen by 30 percent in the last two weeks, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 57 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported 57 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 16 in Guangdong and eight in Gansu, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Hong Kong keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 13 Jul 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Tuesday that it will distribute 290,000 COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- China lashes out as U.S. Navy destroyer sails near disputed islands Radio Free Asia 13 Jul 2022 -- A U.S. Navy Freedom of Navigation Operation (FONOP) near the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea on Wednesday has drawn a strong reaction from Chinese military officials who said the U.S. warship "illegally trespassed" into its waters.
- PLA releases photos of warning away trespassing US warship, shows confidence in tackling navigational hegemony Global Times 13 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Southern Theater Command warned away a US destroyer which trespassed in Chinese territorial waters off the Xisha Islands in the South China Sea on Wednesday, and published photos of the operation for the first time, in a move that analysts said reflected the PLA's growing confidence and readiness against US provocations.
- China urges US to respect China's sovereignty, interests on S.China Sea matter Global Times 13 Jul 2022 -- China's stance on the so-called South China Sea arbitration is supported and understood by the international community, and any attempt to use this illegal ruling to infringe upon China's sovereignty and rights is doomed to fail. China also urged the US to stop causing trouble and disturbing relations between countries in the region, Chinese Foreign Ministry Wang Wenbin said on Wednesday.
- Beijing Blasts US as 'Trouble-Maker' After American Warship Trespasses Into China's Waters Sputnik 13 Jul 2022 -- The US guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold on Wednesday entered Chinese waters off the disputed Xisha Islands, also known as the Paracel Islands, in the South China Sea without Beijing's permission, thus once again undermining peace and stability in the region, a spokesman for Chinese military said.
- PLA spokesperson remarks on US destroyer's trespassing China's territorial waters off Xisha Islands on July 13 PLA Daily 13 Jul 2022 -- "On July 13, the guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG-65) trespassed into China's territorial waters off Xisha Islands without Chinese government's permission. The Chinese PLA Southern Theater Command organized naval and air forces to conduct tracking and monitoring on the US destroyer and warned it off," said Air Force Senior Colonel Tian Junli, spokesperson for the Chinese PLA Southern Theater Command, in a written statement on Wednesday.
- China warns away US warship near disputed isles in South China Sea Press TV 13 Jul 2022 -- China's military says it has "driven away" a US warship that had sailed close to the disputed Paracel Islands in the South China Sea.
- China, Pakistan maritime drill concludes PLA Daily 13 Jul 2022 -- Navies of China and Pakistan concluded a four-day joint maritime exercise codenamed Sea Guardians-2 on Wednesday.
- US Beefs Up South Pacific Aid, Diplomacy as China Spreads Its Influence VOA 13 Jul 2022 -- A U.S. presidential initiative to boost American support in the South Pacific is a reaction to the growing influence of China in the vast tract of tropical islands that have historically been under Western influence, experts say.
- US unveils new Pacific strategy to counter China Press TV 13 Jul 2022 -- The US has launched yet another major push in the Asia Pacific aimed at countering China's growing influence in the region, with Vice President Kamala Harris vowing new commitments to the area.
- China Steps Up Intimidation, Harassment of Chinese Dissidents in US VOA 13 Jul 2022 -- Last week, the U.S. Justice Department announced the indictment of one former and one current Department of Homeland Security agent in connection with an alleged Chinese government plot to target U.S.-based critics.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on July 13, 2022 PRC MofA 13 Jul 2022
- Dwindling freedoms, rolling lockdowns spark growing desire to 'run' from China Radio Free Asia 13 Jul 2022 -- Linghu Changbing has been on the run from China for three years, using his Twitter account to post an account of a motorcycle trip in Mexico and further travels across the United States, to the envy of many in China.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list