Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China's Anhui reports 5 confirmed, 19 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Jul 2022 -- East China's Anhui Province reported five locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and 19 local asymptomatic carriers on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 69 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Monday reported 69 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 22 in Guangdong and nine in both Henan and Hainan, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Shanghai reports 3 new local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 12 Jul 2022 -- Shanghai reported one confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 case and two local asymptomatic cases between midnight Sunday and 5 p.m. Monday, the municipal health commission told a press conference.
- Tibetan monks uncertain quake-destroyed monastery will be rebuilt Radio Free Asia 12 Jul 2022 -- Monks from the Gyalrong Tsodun Kriti Monastery in northeastern Tibet do not know if they will receive help from local Chinese officials to rebuild after the structure was destroyed by an earthquake last month, a person with knowledge of the situation said on Tuesday.
- Chinese frigate spotted off Hualien CNA 12 Jul 2022 -- A Chinese military ship was spotted 35 nautical miles off Hualien Port in eastern Taiwan around noon on Sunday, a military source told CNA Tuesday.
- Analysts: China's Taiwan Strategy Signals Growing Resolve to Unify VOA 12 Jul 2022 -- A strategy outlined this month by China for Taiwan, a self-ruled democratic island, shows the Communist government's resolve in unifying the two sides without making any new threats, experts say.
- Chinese top diplomat says one-China principle is the mainstay of stabilizing Taiwan Straits at ASEAN Secretariat Global Times 12 Jul 2022 -- The Taiwan question is at the core of China's core interests and the one-China principle is the mainstay of stabilizing the Taiwan Straits, emphasized Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Monday at ASEAN Secretariat, when asked about the root cause of the current tension across the Taiwan Straits.
- China-Pakistan joint naval drill enters live-fire phase with participation of both countries' Type 054A frigates for 1st time Global Times 12 Jul 2022 -- The ongoing China-Pakistan joint naval drill off Shanghai entered a live-fire phase on Tuesday after wrapping up the exchange phase on shore, with analysts saying that the Pakistan Navy's China-built Type 054A/P frigate is expected to gain valuable experience from the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's vessel of the same type.
- China's deep space radar may have military uses Radio Free Asia 12 Jul 2022 -- China has started building what it calls "the world's most far-reaching radar" in the country's southwest - a facility that could also have a military purpose, an analyst warned.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on July 12, 2022 PRC MofA 12 Jul 2022
- Activists call on Marcos to pursue Philippine maritime claims against China Radio Free Asia 12 Jul 2022 -- Filipino nationalists and activists pressed new President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to actively assert their country's territorial rights, as the Philippines marked the sixth anniversary on Tuesday of an arbitration court's ruling that invalidated Beijing's sweeping claims in the South China Sea.
- Chinese FM stresses no interest in geostrategic jostling in PICs, refutes 'unfounded' rumors Global Times 12 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry rebutted a series of smears against China in the Pacific Island countries on Monday, saying that China never seeks to build any sphere of influence and is not interested in geostrategic jostling, as its only focus is development and win-win cooperation.â€‚
- Chinese FM calls on ASEAN to uphold vision of peace, independence, insulate region from geopolitical calculations Global Times 12 Jul 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi delivered a policy speech on Monday on safeguarding open regionalism at the ASEAN Secretariat, urging to uphold the vision of peace, development, independence and inclusiveness.
- China ready to work with relevant countries, intl financial institutions to help Sri Lanka tackle current difficulties: FM Global Times 12 Jul 2022 -- China will continue providing assistance for the economic and social development of Sri Lanka and support its efforts to recover the economy and improve its people's livelihoods, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Hong Kong to get China-style COVID-19 app, sparking fears of totalitarian control Radio Free Asia 12 Jul 2022 -- Hong Kong will impose a China-style COVID-19 app on the city's seven million residents, sparking fears of ever-increasing state control over the movements of individuals.
- China's Central Wuhan Reports Cholera Case VOA 12 Jul 2022 -- Chinese authorities on Monday confirmed that a case of cholera had occurred in the central city of Wuhan where the outbreak of COVID-19 began before spreading globally. State media acknowledged that the case has sparked public worries in a society still coping with the COVID outbreak.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list