Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- As COVID-19 Cases Rise, New Variant Poses Major Challenge VOA 08 Jul 2022 -- Cases of COVID-19 are surging again globally, due in large part to the rise of virus variant Omicron BA.5, which is much more contagious than its predecessors and is able to circumvent existing immunity in many people.
- China-developed neutralizing antibody combination therapy enters market; effective against BA.4, BA.5: experts Global Times 08 Jul 2022 -- China-developed neutralizing antibody combination COVID-19 therapeutic drugs have been made available for commercial sale. The drugs are effective in combating the fast transmitting BA.4 and BA.5, industry experts said on Friday.
- Beijing further adjusts prevention measures to facilitate inbound travel Global Times 08 Jul 2022 -- Beijing authorities have announced multiple new adjustments on COVID-19 prevention measures to further facilitate inbound travels to the city, including lifting restriction of residents from counties in border and port cities to enter and adjusting limits for travel from cities with confirmed cases, which have been hailed by analysts as a clear approach to implementing China's latest version of prevention and control protocols and setting an example on not simplifying prevention by restricting travelers.
- COVID-19 pandemic affects essential health services: Lao health minister People's Daily 08 Jul 2022 -- The COVID-19 pandemic has affected essential health services and, even though the virus outbreak in Laos has subsided, some healthcare services are not able to recover to pre-pandemic levels, according to Lao Minister of Health Bounfeng Phoummalaysith.
- China's Anhui reports 17 confirmed, 140 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Jul 2022 -- East China's Anhui Province reported 17 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and 140 local asymptomatic carriers on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 67 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Friday reported 67 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 25 in Anhui and 11 in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Saturday.
- Beijing residents can enter all public venues after temperature check and with a negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours: health official Global Times 08 Jul 2022 -- Beijing residents can enter all kinds of public venues after a temperature check and showing a negative result of nucleic acid test within 72 hours, emphasized an official from the Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control.
- Chinese mainland reports 47 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 47 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 17 each in Shanghai and Anhui, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Long-Simmering Tensions Flare Over Disputed Senkaku Islands in East China Sea VOA 08 Jul 2022 -- Long-simmering tensions are flaring over the Senkaku Islands, an uninhabited archipelago located in the East China Sea known as Diaoyu by China and Diaoyutai by Taiwan.
- Taiwan condemns China after warplanes breach median line CNA 08 Jul 2022 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) condemned China for harming regional peace and stability after its warplanes "intentionally breached" the median line of the Taiwan Strait on Friday.
- PLA holds joint drills around Taiwan over US senator visit: Chinese military Global Times 08 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) conducted large-scale drills around Taiwan in response to a US senator's recent visit to the island, both the Chinese military and the Foreign Ministry announced on Friday, while the Taiwan Affairs Office expressed opposition to the US' interfering with the Taiwan question.
- China military holds combat exercises around Taiwan as US senator visits Press TV 08 Jul 2022 -- China's military says it recently held joint combat readiness exercises, patrols, and combat drills in the sea and airspace around Taiwan as a senior US senator visited the self-ruled island.
- PLA Eastern Theater Command organizes joint security patrol and combat drills around Taiwan Island PLA Daily 08 Jul 2022 -- Senior Colonel Shi Yi, spokesperson for the Eastern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), said on Friday that the PLA Eastern Theater Command has recently organized joint combat-readiness security patrols and combat training exerci
- China's Military Ready to Prevent Attempts to Achieve 'Taiwan Independence' Sputnik 08 Jul 2022 -- China's military maintains full-time combat readiness to stop attempts by outside forces to achieve so-called Taiwan independence, the Chinese defense ministry said on Friday.
- Defense Ministry spokesperson condemns US lawmakers' visit to Taiwan PLA Daily 08 Jul 2022 -- Senior Colonel Wu Qian, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND) answered press questions Friday on the recent visit to Taiwan paid by US Florida Senator, Republican Rick Scott, saying that China is firmly opposed to the US senator's visit to China's Taiwan region.
- Chinese general stresses no compromise on China's core interest with US counterpart in 4th bilateral high-level contact in a month Global Times 08 Jul 2022 -- Chief of the Central Military Commission (CMC) Joint Staff Department, General Li Zuocheng, spoke with US General Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff, under the latter's invitation on Thursday, reaching a consensus that it is in the common interest of both countries to maintain stable development of military-to-military relations and avoid conflicts and confrontations.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on Julyâ€‚8, 2022 PRC MofA 08 Jul 2022
- Senior Chinese military official holds video talks with US chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff PLA Daily 08 Jul 2022 -- General Li Zuocheng, member of China's Central Military Commission (CMC) and chief of the CMC Joint Staff Department, held video talks at invitation with General Mark Milley, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, on Thursday.
- China and NZ key partners of South Pacific; region not arena for power competition: Chinese FM Global Times 08 Jul 2022 -- Both China and New Zealand are key partners of the Pacific Island Countries (PICs) and the South Pacific is not an arena for major power competition but a platform for international cooperation, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said during a routine press briefing on Friday.
- China Tests New Philippines Government for Chance to Improve Relations; Analysts VOA 08 Jul 2022 -- Analysts say a meeting this week between China and the new government of the Philippines has set the stage for mending ties that have been frayed by a festering maritime sovereignty dispute.
- China firmly opposes illegal, unjustifiable US sanctions against Iran: FM spokesman Press TV 08 Jul 2022 -- Beijing has censured the US blacklisting of an alleged network of companies brokering the sale of Iranian oil products and petrochemicals, stating that it strongly opposes Washington's "illegal" and "unjustifiable" sanctions as well as its so-called maximum pressure campaign against Iran
- Chinese FM expounds on major concerns about situation in Ukraine People's Daily 08 Jul 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Thursday exchanged views with Indian External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar on the Ukraine issue during his attendance at the Group of 20 (G20) Foreign Ministers' Meeting in Indonesia's tourist island of Bali.
- Abe to Be Remembered for Staunch US Alliance, Counterweight to China VOA 08 Jul 2022 -- Assassinated former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will go down in history as a staunch U.S. ally who supported Western strength in East Asia to counter the rise of China, analysts said Friday.
- Abe remembered in China as controversial figure who 'ruined own contribution to bilateral ties' Global Times 08 Jul 2022 -- Former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe, 67, died hours after being shot by a gunman on Friday, July 8, in western Japan's Nara, where he was making a campaign speech for the parliament's upper house election to be held on Sunday.
- Amid grieving in Asia for Japan's Shinzo Abe, Chinese nationalists celebrate Radio Free Asia 08 Jul 2022 -- The shooting death of former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe Friday prompted grief across Asia, but mixed reactions on China's tightly controlled internet, with nationalistic Little Pinks openly celebrating Abe's death and government censors blocking a cryptic hashtag that could be a reference to public anger at the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s own leaders.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list