Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports 112 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported 112 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, 81 of which were in Anhui Province, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- New COVID outbreaks prompt swift response People's Daily 06 Jul 2022
- Shanghai reports 24 new local infections People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported nine confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 15 local asymptomatic carriers on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said Wednesday.
- Shanghai to conduct mass COVID-19 testing as new cases reported People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- Shanghai will conduct mass nucleic acid testing from Tuesday to Thursday in areas related to recent local COVID-19 cases, municipal authorities said on Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 7 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- Beijing reported seven new COVID-19 cases from Monday to 3 p.m. Tuesday, according to local authorities.
- Hong Kong to distribute 300,000 RAT kits following sewage COVID-19 detection People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Tuesday that it will distribute around 300,000 sets of COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Hong Kong dumps 200kg of Taiwan mangoes, citing COVID virus concerns CNA 06 Jul 2022 -- Hong Kong authorities said Wednesday that they had recalled and disposed of 200 kilograms of mangoes imported from Taiwan, after one sample fruit in the shipment was found to be contaminated with the COVID-19 virus.
- Tibetans skirt tight Chinese surveillance to mark the Dalai Lama's 87th birthday Radio Free Asia 06 Jul 2022 -- Tibetans bucked tight Chinese security and online surveillance to honor the 87th birthday Wednesday of exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama with incense and picnics, sources in the region said.
- So-called San Francisco Peace Treaty illegal, invalid: Chinese FM Global Times 06 Jul 2022 -- The so-called San Francisco Peace Treaty was illegal and invalid, and the Chinese govt will never recognize it, a spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday, noting that a Taiwan-related article written by a research fellow at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) deliberately confused right and wrong and incited Taiwan secessionists to seek independence with US support.
- Anonymous Hacker Claims to Have Obtained Data of 1 Billion Chinese Residents VOA 06 Jul 2022 -- A cyberhacker claims to have obtained the personal data of 1 billion Chinese residents in what could be one of the largest data breaches in history.
- China unfolds deorbiting sail for in-orbit spacecraft Global Times 06 Jul 2022 -- China has made new strides forward in managing space junk, as it has successfully unfolded a 25-square-meter deorbiting sail in-orbit for the payload capsule of a recently launched rocket. This marked the first time in the world a deorbiting sail system has been deployed in such a way, the Global Times learned from the system developers on Tuesday.
- Director's Remarks to Business Leaders in London FBI 06 Jul 2022
- Joint address by MI5 and FBI Heads MI5 06 Jul 2022 -- MI5 Director General Ken McCallum and FBI Director Chris Wray have warned of the growing threat posed by the Chinese Communist Party to UK and US interests.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on Julyâ€‚6, 2022 PRC MofA 06 Jul 2022
- China Slams US Attempt to Ban Dutch Sales of Chipmaking Equipment Sputnik 06 Jul 2022 -- China's Foreign Ministry slammed the United States Wednesday for pressuring the Netherlands to ban ASML Holding NV from selling mainstream chipmaking technology to China, according to state news agency Xinhua.
- US seeks China's help to ease inflation in latest interaction Global Times 06 Jul 2022 -- The US is seeking help from China to ease its economic pressure, hinting that it may ease tariffs on Chinese goods and engage in dialogue with senior Chinese officials more often. However, analysts said Beijing will approach Washington's overtures with caution, as it is still trying to use the tariffs as bargaining chips rather than sincerely correcting its mistakes that have harmed both sides.
- China, India Binge Buy Russian Energy, Nearly Double Last Year's Purchases Amid West's Restrictions Sputnik 06 Jul 2022 -- The dramatic uptick in Chinese and Indian purchases of Russian energy comes amid Western nations' attempts to "punish" Moscow for its military operation in Ukraine by slapping it with sanctions and banning or "phasing out" Russian oil, coal and gas. So far, these measures' only impact has been to bring Europe and the US to the brink of recession.
- China aims to strengthen ties with Russia within multilateral frameworks Press TV 06 Jul 2022 -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu has announced Beijing's willingness to broaden relations with Russia within multilateral frameworks.
- Wang Yi Meets with Philippine National Security Adviser Clarita Carlos PRC MofA 06 Jul 2022 -- On July 6, 2022 local time, State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi met with Philippine National Security Adviser Ms. Clarita Carlos in Manila.
- During Manila visit, Wang Yi touts potential 'golden era' in Sino-Philippine ties Radio Free Asia 06 Jul 2022 -- New President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.'s friendly policy toward Beijing promises to usher in a "golden era" in Sino-Philippine relations, China's top diplomat said during a visit here Wednesday, only weeks after Manila filed another protest over Chinese boats intruding in territorial waters.
- Chinese investors buy up more land in Laos Radio Free Asia 06 Jul 2022 -- Chinese businesses investing in Laos are quickly buying up land for factories, hotels and other development projects, as China's influence continues to grow in the impoverished, landlocked country to its south.
- Chinese-built SGR set to streamline Ethiopia's export, boost profitability People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- The Ethiopian government said the Chinese-built Addis Ababa-Djibouti Standard Gauge Railways is set to streamline Ethiopian export and boost profitability.
- Hong Kong leader wants 'more effective' security laws, as soon as possible Radio Free Asia 06 Jul 2022 -- Hong Kong's chief executive John Lee vowed on Wednesday to press ahead with more "effective" security laws that could draw on security forces in mainland China to implement them.
- Commissioner's office of Chinese Foreign Ministry in HKSAR condemns gross interference in China's internal affairs People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- The Office of the Commissioner of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) has strongly disapproved, firmly rejected and roundly condemned gross interference in Hong Kong affairs and China's internal affairs that tramples on the basic norms of international relations.
- New report details China's efforts to control Uyghurs beyond its borders Radio Free Asia 06 Jul 2022 -- On a sunny summer day in the South Australia city of Adelaide in late January 2018, scores of community groups marched through the streets in a parade to celebrate Australia Day.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list