Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
01 July 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Hong Kong keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Friday that it will distribute around 280,000 sets of COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Chinese mainland reports 12 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Thursday reported 12 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, nine of which were in Anhui Province, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Taiwan will not shy away from 'authoritarian intrusion': Tsai CNA 01 Jul 2022 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (è”¡è‹±æ–‡) told a global party congress on Thursday that the people of Taiwan are determined to defend democracy despite increasing threats from China and would not cave into "authoritarian intrusion."
- MAC urges Taiwanese not to attend Straits Forum in China CNA 01 Jul 2022 -- Taiwanese have been urged by the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), Taiwan's top government agency that handles cross-Taiwan Strait affairs, not to attend the upcoming Straits Forum in China, with the MAC warning that China could use the annual forum to intensify its "United Front" campaign against Taiwan.
- Chinese military spokesperson responds to provocations of Australian, Canadian military aircraft People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- A Chinese defense spokesperson on Thursday responded to provocative acts of Australian and Canadian military aircraft, and warned that those who come uninvited will bear the consequences.
- NATO expansion only begets confrontation, threatening global security People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- NATO has formally invited Sweden and Finland to join the military alliance, a sign of how deeply "the product of the Cold War" indulges itself in ideological confrontation and bloc politics.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on July 1, 2022 PRC MofA 01 Jul 2022
- China urges U.S. to stop suppression of Chinese firms People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- The United States should immediately correct its mistakes and stop sanctioning and suppressing Chinese enterprises, China's commerce ministry said Thursday.
- Laos Faces Debt Crisis After Borrowing Billions From China VOA 01 Jul 2022 -- Laos, deeply indebted to China for large-scale infrastructure projects, is at high risk of defaulting on its obligations, according to experts, a situation exacerbated by the economic stress felt worldwide due to the coronavirus and the war in Ukraine.
- Xi congratulates Marcos on inauguration as Philippine presidentï¼Œ'sets good start for pushing ties toward new golden era' Global Times 01 Jul 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping sent a congratulatory letter to Ferdinand Romualdez Marcos on his inauguration as president of the Philippines on Thursday and stressed that he is ready to work with the new president to continue the friendly relations to benefit the peoples of the two countries.
- China urges US to compensate for mistakes regarding Iran, JCPOA IRNA 01 Jul 2022 -- The United States as the source of problems related to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal should make up for its mistakes concerning the Islamic Republic and the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), said the spokesman of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 'Hong Kong must not become chaotic again,' China's Xi warns on handover anniversary Radio Free Asia 01 Jul 2022 -- Chinese leader Xi Jinping swore in a new, security-focused government in Hong Kong on Friday, 25 years after Britain handed the city back to China, saying the current arrangements -- which have seen a citywide crackdown on peaceful dissent and political opposition -- are here to stay.
- Will the people of Hong Kong ever run their own city again? Radio Free Asia 01 Jul 2022 -- On June 30, 1997, pro-democracy members held the majority seats on Hong Kong's Legislative Council (LegCo), the result of the city's first fully democratic general election in 1995, under political reforms brought in at the 11th hour of British rule by then colonial governor Chris Patten.
- Xi praises PLA's HK Garrison for serving central govt's administration of HK Global Times 01 Jul 2022 -- President Xi Jinping, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, on Friday inspected the People's Liberation Army Garrison stationed in Hong Kong, and said that, given the deep and complex changes in Hong Kong in recent years, the Garrison had firmly served the big picture of the central government's administration of Hong Kong and played an important role in the process for the city to move from chaos to order and greater prosperity.
- HK's 'hardline' new chief vows inclusive, vibrant city, expected to firmly heed Xi's 4-point expectations Global Times 01 Jul 2022 -- Wearing the tie his wife fixed for him a few hours ago, John Lee Ka-chiu in a firm yet humble manner was sworn in as Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Friday morning, also marking the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland. He vowed to build a more caring and inclusive Hong Kong filled with vibrancy, hope and development opportunities for all Hong Kong families in the next five years, as the city is in a new stage of transitioning from chaos to order and to greater prosperity.
- Xi marks HKSAR's 25th anniversary, points clear future of city as 'no need to change a good system' Global Times 01 Jul 2022 -- A joyful and exciting sentiment was widely shared on Friday not only in Hong Kong, despite the wind and rain, but also in the Chinese mainland and beyond the country on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the city's return to the motherland. Hong Kong is embarking on a new journey of transition from chaos to order and to greater prosperity. Local officials and observers said the city has entered its best time.
- No reason to change 'one country, two systems'; such a good system must be upheld over long run: Xi Global Times 01 Jul 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping stressed on Friday that the "one country, two systems" principle has withstood the test of practice and time, been supported by all Chinese people and recognized by the international society, and there's no reason to change such a good system, while delivering a speech at the ceremony celebrating the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland and the inaugural ceremony of the sixth-term government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- John Lee sworn in as HKSAR new chief executive, vows to build a dynamic, harmonious city full of opportunities Global Times 01 Jul 2022 -- The sixth-term Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) John Lee Ka-chiu and the principal officials of the new-term government took their oaths of office at an inaugural ceremony on Friday, which also marked the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland.
- 'Not qualified to comment on a prosperous, stable and united HK,' Foreign Ministry slams Blinken, Johnson's 'outdated colonial' remarks Global Times 01 Jul 2022 -- The US and the UK have faced strong opposition from China after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson made rude and wrong remarks on China over Hong Kong affairs hours before a jubilant and cheerful 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland.
- John Lee sworn in as HKSAR's sixth-term chief executive People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- John Lee was sworn in here on Friday as the sixth-term chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Xi stresses full, faithful implementation of "one country, two systems" PLA Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- President Xi Jinping on Friday stressed the need to fully and faithfully implement the "one country, two systems" policy.
- President Xi meets HKSAR Chief Executive John Lee PLA Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- President Xi Jinping met with newly inaugurated Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) John Lee here on Friday morning, expressing full support for the chief executive and confidence in Hong Kong's future.
- Xi leaves Hong Kong after attending HKSAR anniversary celebrations PLA Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- President Xi Jinping left Hong Kong by train Friday after attending celebrations for the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland.
- 'Risen from the ashes': China's Xi hails Hong Kong's 'one country, two systems' policy Press TV 01 Jul 2022 -- During his visit to Hong Kong on Thursday to mark 25 years since its handover to Beijing, Chinese president Xi Jinping hailed the city for having "risen from the ashes" and staunchly backed its governing arrangement.
- Economic Stability, Chinese Control Expected in Hong Kong for Next 25 Years VOA 01 Jul 2022 -- Hong Kong should expect economic stability over the next 25 years, analysts say, along with increasingly tight control by China, which began to rule the international finance center 25 years ago this week.
- Taiwan expresses concern over Hong Kong's diminishing freedoms CNA 01 Jul 2022 -- As Beijing and Hong Kong authorities marked the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's handover to China Friday, Taiwan's government and political parties expressed concern over deteriorating freedoms in the territory under China's tightened rule.
- Taiwan hits out at Hong Kong's vanishing freedoms, vows to protect its sovereignty Radio Free Asia 01 Jul 2022 -- Democratic Taiwan on Friday said freedom had "vanished" in Hong Kong, as concerns were raised internationally over a political crackdown in the city after just 25 years of Chinese rule.
- Xi attending HKSAR anniversary meeting, inaugural ceremony of sixth-term gov't People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- President Xi Jinping is attending a meeting held here Friday morning to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland and the inaugural ceremony of the sixth-term government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Xi administers oath of office to HKSAR Chief Executive John Lee People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- Xi Jinping on Friday morning administered oath of office to the sixth-term Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) John Lee.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list