Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- County in E. China placed under urgent lockdown to curb spillover risk after 32 silent COVID-19 carriers spotted Global Times 30 Jun 2022 -- Sixian county in East China's Anhui Province was placed under urgent lockdown on Wednesday after a sudden flare-up with 32 asymptomatic infections reported, which has posed a risk of spillover to neighboring provinces.
- Hong Kong keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Thursday that it will distribute around 300,000 sets of COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Xi inspects Wuhan, stresses sci-tech innovation, COVID-19 control, community management People's Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- President Xi Jinping has stressed building up China's strength in the science and technology sector, sticking to the dynamic zero-COVID policy and improving community management.
- Chinese mainland reports 8 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Wednesday reported eight locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, five of which were in Jiangsu Province, two in Guangdong Province and one in Beijing, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Shanghai resumes dine-in services at restaurants as COVID-19 wanes People's Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- China's financial hub Shanghai is gradually resuming dine-in services at restaurants starting from Wednesday as the COVID-19 epidemic has waned in the city.
- China removes mark for COVID-hit regions on visitors' travel code People's Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- China has announced that starting Wednesday, the asterisk marking regions with COVID-19 infections will be removed from the online code tracking visitors' travel history.
- US Believes China Still Hoping to Take Taiwan Without Force VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- Fears that Russia's invasion of Ukraine would spur China to take a similar approach to Taiwan do not appear to be playing out, at least not yet, according to the top U.S. intelligence official.
- China-Cambodia Ream Naval Base upgrading project completely legitimate, neutral: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- "Certain media have been continuously hyping up the normal exchanges and cooperation between China and Cambodia with ulterior motive," said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- China's future aircraft carrier program 'depends on security needs': defense ministry Global Times 30 Jun 2022 -- China will take national security needs and the development of equipment technology into consideration for the country's future aircraft carrier program, the Chinese Defense Ministry said on Thursday, after China's 80,000 ton-class, electromagnetic catapults-equipped third aircraft carrier, the Fujian, was launched earlier this month.
- NATO Ends Summit with Strengthened Posture Against Russia, China VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- NATO leaders concluded their three-day meeting in Madrid Thursday with the Western security alliance strengthening its defense against Russian aggression, warning of global challenges posed by China and inviting neutral countries Finland and Sweden into the group.
- Beijing on New Strategic Concept of NATO: Alliance Must Stop Slandering China Sputnik 30 Jun 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Thursday, commenting on the new strategic concept of NATO, that the alliance must stop smearing the Asian country.
- More risks, conflicts ensue as NATO formally invites Finland, Sweden to join after Turkey lifts veto Global Times 30 Jun 2022 -- NATO formalized its invitation to Sweden and Finland to join the alliance on Wednesday after the last minute agreement was made between Turkey, Finland and Sweden to allow the two Nordic countries to join the bloc. Analysts said that the negotiations are a bargain for Turkey but will not bring security assurance to Finland and Sweden as NATO's expansion will bring more risks and conflicts to the region with less buffer zone with Russia.
- US surveillance satellite probe poses big security threat: experts Global Times 30 Jun 2022 -- US media reported a recent event in which a pair of Chinese satellites evaded a probe attempt by a US space surveillance satellite, with Chinese experts saying on Wednesday that the US spying activities in space pose enormous security threats to many countries including China. They said the US media's hyping of Chinese satellites' defensive measures is a vile trick.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on June 30, 2022 PRC MofA 30 Jun 2022
- China urges G7 to cease all attacks, smears against country People's Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- China on Wednesday urged the Group of Seven (G7) to stop attacking and smearing it, and to cease all forms of meddling in China's internal affairs, following a recent statement issued at a G7 summit making wanton accusations on China-related issues.
- China: Ukraine war takes heavy toll on Europe; US benefits from it Press TV 30 Jun 2022 -- Beijing has lashed out at NATO for calling China in its new blueprint a "challenge" for the US-led military bloc's "interests, security and values", blaming the United States for Russia's military offensive against Ukraine.
- Liz Truss' 'unjustified' comments on China lack common sense: Chinese FM Global Times 30 Jun 2022 -- British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss' declaration that China would be making "a catastrophic miscalculation if it invaded Taiwan" is self-righteous, unjustifiable and completely devoid of common sense, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Thursday.
- Xi congratulates Marcos on inauguration as Philippine president PLA Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday sent a congratulatory letter to Ferdinand Romualdez Marcos on his inauguration as president of the Republic of the Philippines.
- President Xi Jinping Sends Message of Congratulations to Ferdinand Romualdez Marcos on His Inauguration as Philippine President PRC MofA 30 Jun 2022 -- On June 30, 2022, President Xi Jinping sent a congratulatory message to Ferdinand Romualdez Marcos on his inauguration as President of the Republic of the Philippines.
- Beijing Seeks Mediator Role in Turbulent Horn of Africa VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- China is offering to help "silence the guns in the Horn of Africa," an ambitious undertaking given the multiple conflicts in the region, and an indication that Beijing may be moving away from its traditional "non-interference" stance towards more active diplomatic engagement.
- Iran, Russia, China censure US over impasse after Doha talks Press TV 30 Jun 2022 -- Iran has censured the United States for refusing to abandon its wrong path after two-day negotiations in the Qatari capital to discuss how to remove sanctions on the Islamic Republic ended Wednesday.
- Statement from NSC Spokesperson Adrienne Watson on Hong Kong 25 Years After Handover The White House 30 Jun 2022
- Hong Kong 25 Years After Handover US Dept. of State 30 Jun 2022 -- On July 1, we mark the 25th anniversary of the handover of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China. This date was envisioned as the halfway point of 50 years of promised autonomy under the "One Country, Two Systems" framework. Yet it is now evident that Hong Kong and Beijing authorities no longer view democratic participation, fundamental freedoms, and an independent media as part of this vision.
- Hong Kong Restricts Coverage of Xi Visit, Major Celebration VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- Journalists in Hong Kong were left frustrated and bemused after reporters from several media outlets were banned from covering the city's biggest political event of the year.
- President Xi's visit to Hong Kong underscores trust, confidence Global Times 30 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping arrived at West Kowloon Station in Hong Kong by train on Thursday afternoon, launching his visit to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the city's return to the motherland.
- 'Reassured, proud, no regrets:' Lam concludes 'most challenging' term Global Times 30 Jun 2022 -- "Reassured, proud and without regrets," was how incumbent Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam described her tenure as she prepared to leave her post on Thursday, thus completing a term recognized as "the most turbulent five years" and officially concluding her 42 years as a civil servant.
- Xi extends congratulations, best wishes to Hong Kong compatriots Global Times 30 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday congratulated Hong Kong compatriots and extended his best wishes on the occasion marking the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland.
- President Xi arrives in Hong Kong for anniversary celebrations PLA Daily 30 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping arrived in Hong Kong by train on Thursday afternoon.
- Hong Kong 'reborn of fire': Xi says as ex-UK colony marks return to China Press TV 30 Jun 2022 -- China's president has said Hong Kong had been "reborn of fire" as he visits the city to mark the 25th anniversary of the former British colony's return to Beijing's rule.
- China's Xi Jinping says Hong Kong 'risen from the ashes' amid crackdown on dissent Radio Free Asia 30 Jun 2022 -- Chinese leader Xi Jinping arrived in Hong Kong on Thursday ahead of the 25th anniversary of Chinese Communist Party (CCP) rule, saying the city had "risen from the ashes" under a draconian national security law that left former opposition lawmakers under house arrest and journalists shut out of official events.
- 'One country, two systems': Hong Kong loses freedoms after 25 years of Chinese rule Radio Free Asia 30 Jun 2022 -- On July 1, 1997, the British flag came down for the last time in Hong Kong, as the city returned to Chinese rule.
- Report Alleges Global Companies 'Unknowingly' Support China's Use of Uyghur Forced Labor VOA 30 Jun 2022 -- Some global companies could be "unknowingly supporting" China's use of Uyghur forced labor from the Xinjiang region by importing goods from Chinese companies headquartered in other parts of China, according to a new report.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list