Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
29 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China removes COVID infection risk marks in constant exploration for 'better balance of epidemic prevention, devt' Global Times 29 Jun 2022 -- China on Wednesday announced the nationwide travel tracking system will no longer mark cities having areas of COVID-19 infection risks to better balance epidemic prevention and economic and social development, the latest move which signaled China's continuous exploration to realize more scientific and precise epidemic prevention and control under the dynamic zero principle. The policy was announced after Tuesday's adjustment that halved collective quarantine for international arrivals and close contacts to seven days, plus three days of home health monitoring.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported three locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, two of which were in Jiangsu Province and one in Guangdong Province, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- COVID-19 situation in China easing yet fluctuating: official People's Daily 29 Jun 2022 -- Remarkable progress has been made in China's COVID-19 containment work, as the resurgence is easing yet fluctuating, an official said on Tuesday.
- China tweaks COVID playbook for more precise epidemic control Global Times 29 Jun 2022 -- China has halved the amount of time international arrivals and close contacts of COVID-19 patients must spend in centralized quarantine from 14 days to seven days and has drawn a clear standard on what constitutes medium- and high-risk areas. Epidemiologists said the move is a further improvement in the country's COVID-19 playbook that will provide more balance between antivirus measures and the need to maintain people's lives and livelihoods.
- China shortens quarantine for close contacts & intl arrivals from 14+7 to 7+3; adjustment 'not a relaxation but more accurate' Global Times 29 Jun 2022 -- Close contacts of COVID-19 infected patients and people entering China from overseas will undergo shorter quarantine period. The time has been reduced from 14 days of collective quarantine and another seven days of home health monitoring to seven and three days respectively, the Joint Prevention and Control Mechanism of the State Council announced in an updated epidemic prevention announcement on Tuesday, adding that the measure is not a relaxation of dynamic zero-COVID policy, but it is simply aimed at more accurate and scientific prevention, said officials in a press conference following the announcement.
- Taiwan activist Lee Ming-Cheh says world pressure on his Chinese jailers helped him Radio Free Asia 29 Jun 2022 -- Taiwanese NGO worker Lee Ming-Cheh was released from Chishan Prison in the central Chinese province of Hunan on April 15 after serving nearly five years for "attempting to subvert state power."
- PLA Navy transport aircraft hold simulated landing on carrier, 'indicate 3rd carrier to be equipped with cargo planes' Global Times 29 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy recently held simulation training for transport aircraft to land on aircraft carriers, with military analysts saying on Wednesday that the move indicated that China is now developing fixed-wing transport aircraft and special mission aircraft including early warning aircraft for its third aircraft carrier, thanks to the latter's electromagnetic catapults.
- RIMPAC gets underway amid rising U.S.-China tensions Radio Free Asia 29 Jun 2022 -- The world's largest naval exercise, the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) started Wednesday, promoting maritime cooperation in a region being clouded by U.S.-China rivalry.
- NATO leaders approve new Strategic Concept NATO 29 Jun 2022 -- NATO heads of state and government meeting in Madrid on Wednesday (29 June 2022) approved a new Strategic Concept for the Alliance, setting out the Alliance's priorities, core tasks and approaches for the next decade.
- US, NATO Trade Charges With China Over New Strategic Concept VOA 29 Jun 2022 -- The United States joined its NATO allies on Wednesday to issue a strong rebuke to "malicious hybrid and cyber" threats from the People's Republic of China, warning the "no-limits" partnership between China and Russia is undercutting a rules-based international order.
- New NATO Strategic Concept Targets Russia, China VOA 29 Jun 2022 -- NATO heads of state and government meeting in Madrid on Wednesday approved a new Strategic Concept for the alliance, naming "Russia's aggression," "systemic challenges posed by the People's Republic of China" and the "deepening strategic partnership" between the two countries as its main priorities.
- NATO Officially Declares Russia A 'Significant And Direct Threat' To Members' Peace And Security RFE/RL 29 Jun 2022 -- NATO has declared Russia the "most significant and direct threat" to its members' peace and security amid Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- NATO agrees new Strategic Concept, strengthened deterrence and defence, more support for Ukraine, invites for Finland and Sweden NATO 29 Jun 2022 -- NATO leaders took far-reaching decisions to continue adapting the Alliance in the first working session at the Madrid Summit on Wednesday (29 June 2022).
- NATO itself is the cause of trouble, China opposes 'Asia-Pacific version of NATO': Chinese UN representative Global Times 29 Jun 2022 -- China firmly opposes NATO's involvement in the Asia-Pacific region or the creation of an "Asia-Pacific version of NATO," said the Chinese Permanent Representative to the UN Zhang Jun during a meeting of the UN Security Council on Ukraine.
- CPC membership exceeds 96.7 million People's Daily 29 Jun 2022 -- The number of the Communist Party of China (CPC) members surpassed 96.71 million at the end of 2021, the Organization Department of the CPC Central Committee announced on Wednesday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on June 29, 2022 PRC MofA 29 Jun 2022
- Exclusive: US plants Trojan horse programs in hundreds of important Chinese information systems; new cyber weapon targets China, Russia Global Times 29 Jun 2022 -- On Wednesday, China's National Computer Virus Emergency Response Center and a leading cybersecurity company disclosed a new vulnerability attack weapon platform deployed by the US National Security Agency (NSA), which experts believe is the main equipment of the NSA's computer network hacking operation team, and it targets the world with a focus on China and Russia.
- China A 'Military Threat' to Australia, According to New Poll VOA 29 Jun 2022 -- A vast majority of Australians now see China as a military threat to their country, according to a respected Sydney-based research organization. Russia's war in Ukraine has also been identified as a major security concern in a recently released survey by the Lowy Institute that says Australians are worried about Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the potential for conflict between China and Taiwan.
- China urges US to drop sanctions against Chinese firms over Russia-Ukraine conflict Global Times 29 Jun 2022 -- China's Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday that it has lodged stern representations with the US side after the latter blacklisted five Chinese companies for allegedly supporting Russia, while urging Washington to withdraw the unilateral sanctions and vowing to defend Chinese firm's interests.
- China Deepens Balkan Footprint With Plans For Power Plant In Bosnia RFE/RL 29 Jun 2022 -- Despite lacking the necessary legal permits and facing growing pushback from local activists, a Chinese company is moving forward with plans to build a hydroelectric plant in southeastern Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- 2nd batch of China-donated quake relief supplies arrives in Afghansitan PLA Daily 29 Jun 2022 -- The second shipment of earthquake relief supplies donated by the Chinese government arrived at Afghanistan's Kabul International Airport on Tuesday and has been handed over to the Afghan side.
- China urges US "to fulfill its commitment" to JCPOA IRNA 29 Jun 2022 -- China's Foreign Ministry spokesman said that his country welcomed the resumption of talks between Iran and the United States on removing sanctions against Iran and stressing that Washington "needs to fulfill its commitment of returning to the JCPOA."
- US, Britain Join Other Democracies Urging China to Honor Hong Kong Commitments Ahead of Handover Anniversary VOA 29 Jun 2022 -- Ahead of the 25th anniversary of the return of Hong Kong to China's rule, the United States and Britain joined other democracies urging Beijing to honor its commitments to ensure autonomy and freedoms to the former British colony.
- Hong Kong's achievements are backed by the motherland's overall strength: first LegCo president Global Times 29 Jun 2022 -- Over the past 25 years, the country has been treating Hong Kong very well, but some in Hong Kong do not feel grateful for that, and now they have to understand it and be grateful for the care shown by 1.4 billion compatriots, Rita Fan Hsu Lai-tai, the president of the first-term Legislative Council after the city returned to the motherland, told the Global Times in an exclusive interview. Over the past years, Hong Kong made achievements not by itself but they are backed by the country's overall strength, she said.
- Rights Groups Urge Thailand Not to Force Captive Uyghurs Back to China VOA 29 Jun 2022 -- Rights groups are urging Thailand not to send any of some 50 Uyghurs it has been holding captive for the past eight years back to China, fearing a repeat of 2015, when the government forcibly returned more than 100 Uyghurs to China.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list