Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing, Shanghai walk out of Omicron shadow as no new infections found Global Times 28 Jun 2022 -- The tale of two cities in China - Beijing and Shanghai - sees final curtain come down on the latest epidemic fight as the two metropolises emerge from the month-long Omicron shadow, with both registering zero new infections on Monday, authorities announced on Tuesday.
- China's new COVID-19 protocol cuts isolation length for inbound travelers People's Daily 28 Jun 2022 -- Under China's newly-updated COVID-19 control protocol, close contacts and inbound travelers will be under medical observation in isolation at designated sites for seven days plus three days of in-home health monitoring.
- Total of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland hits 3.4 bln People's Daily 28 Jun 2022 -- The total number of COVID-19 vaccine doses so far administered on the Chinese mainland hit 3.4 billion on Monday, data from the National Health Commission showed Tuesday.
- China Cuts Quarantine Time for Foreign Visitors in First Change Since March 2020 Sputnik 28 Jun 2022 -- China's National Health Commission announced on Tuesday that the COVID-19 safety rules for new arrivals in the country would change for the first time since the start of the pandemic in early 2020. The change comes as China has for several months been battling its largest-ever outbreak of the virus.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new local confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 28 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Monday reported one locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case in Guangdong Province, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Hong Kong keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 28 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Monday that it will distribute around 205,000 sets of COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Beijing's primary, middle schools reopen as COVID-19 wanes People's Daily 28 Jun 2022 -- Beijing's primary and middle school students returned to campus on Monday after over 50 days of remote education due to a local COVID-19 resurgence.
- Chinese authorities sentence Tibetan student to 3 years for contacting exiles Radio Free Asia 28 Jun 2022 -- Chinese authorities this month sentenced a university student to three years in prison for contacting Tibetan exiles, the latest in a series of arbitrary arrests of Tibetan intellectuals, artists and other community leaders, activists told RFA.
- Beijing Asks US to 'Stop All Forms of Official Interaction With Taiwan' Sputnik 28 Jun 2022 -- China-US tensions over Taiwan have gone up dramatically over the past year-and-a-half amid repeated pledges by US President Joe Biden that Washington would come to Taipei's assistance in the event of Chinese "aggression," and reports that the US has maintained small numbers of troops on the island, which Beijing considers an integral part of China.
- Why Has China Increased Military Flights off Taiwan Coast? VOA 28 Jun 2022 -- China has increased the number of military flights into Taiwan's air defense identification zone at sea. Analysts believe the move is designed to send a message to the U.S. rather than to threaten the island itself, analysts say.
- China launches new satellite for Earth observation PLA Daily 28 Jun 2022 -- China sent a new Earth observation satellite into space from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China on Monday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on June 28, 2022 PRC MofA 28 Jun 2022
- G-7 Countries Offer Alternative to China's Development Juggernaut VOA 28 Jun 2022 -- The world's wealthiest liberal democracies say they're offering developing nations $600 billion in infrastructure funding by 2027, providing what they say is a superior alternative to China's massive, multi-trillion-dollar Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- FACT SHEET: The United States Continues to Strengthen Cooperation with G7 on 21st Century Challenges, including those Posed by the People's Republic of China (PRC) The White House 28 Jun 2022
- U.S. should be held responsible for creating "debt trap": FM spokesperson People's Daily 28 Jun 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian on Monday said that, to call China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) a debt trap is a false narrative, and it is the United States that should be held responsible for creating the "debt trap."
- Drop 'Cold War mindset': China warns NATO against destabilizing Asia Press TV 28 Jun 2022 -- Beijing warns the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) against attempts to destabilize Asia and spread false information about China, as the Western alliance is preparing a new strategic concept to designate the Asian country as a challenge to its interests.
- S.Korea warned over fraying China ties, losing 'diplomatic independence' in bloc's Asia push before NATO summit Global Times 28 Jun 2022 -- South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol is expected to meet with US President Joe Biden and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida at the NATO leaders' summit from Wednesday to Thursday in Madrid, which would become Yoon's in-person debut on a multilateral stage.
- FM urges politicians refrain from making irresponsible remarks after Aussie PM warns China to learn from Putin's 'strategic failure' Global Times 28 Jun 2022 -- In response to a question over Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese' warning against China to learn from Russian President Vladimir Putin's "strategic failure," a spokesperson of the Chinese Foreign Ministry at a regular press briefing on Tuesday urged certain politicians to refrain from making irresponsible remarks, reiterating there is no comparison between Ukraine and the island of Taiwan given that the latter is not a sovereign state.
- Leaked documents show China's careful coordination of Uyghur repression Radio Free Asia 28 Jun 2022 -- Classified speeches given by high-ranking Chinese Communist Party officials describe Uyghurs and other Muslims as an "enemy class" whose traditions must be wiped away for China to survive, startling new evidence of the coordinated brutality authorities have deployed to force restive minority groups to assimilate.
- China Evergrande opposes winding-up petition filed by Top Shine Global as offshore debt restructuring plan underway Global Times 28 Jun 2022 -- Debt-trapped China Evergrande said in a filing at HK stock exchange on Tuesday that it opposes the winding-up lawsuit filed by Top Shine Global, as the company has been actively communicating with creditors to push forward with its offshore debt restructuring plan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list