Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Macao SAR to launch makeshift hospital in battle against fresh COVID-19 spike Global Times 21 Jun 2022 -- China's Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) initiated two contingency plans ensuring sufficient quarantine and treatment facilities after reporting 49 COVID-19 cases as of Tuesday amid rising epidemic risks.
- Chinese mainland reports 9 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Monday reported nine locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including six in Shanghai and three in Beijing, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Shanghai reports 6 confirmed, 3 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported six confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and three local asymptomatic cases on Monday, the municipal health commission said Tuesday.
- Beijing reports three new local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported three new locally-transmitted COVID-19 infections during the first 15 hours of Monday, said local authorities.
- Shanghai reports two COVID-19 infections from community People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- Shanghai reported one locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case and one local asymptomatic carrier from community screening Monday, the municipal government said at a press conference.
- 29 Chinese military aircraft enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 21 Jun 2022 -- A total of 29 Chinese military aircraft flew into the southwestern part of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Tuesday, the third-highest single-day total this year, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Spokesperson denounces "parliamentary diplomacy" visits by "Taiwan independence" separatist People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Tuesday denounced the so-called "parliamentary diplomacy" visits to certain countries by Yu Shyi-Kun, a diehard separatist, as one intended to get external anti-China forces on board to advocate "Taiwan independence."
- Harvest time for China's aircraft carrier development through a century's waves Global Times 21 Jun 2022 -- On June 17, China launched its third aircraft carrier, the Fujian. The 80,000 ton-class heavy vessel is also the country's second domestically developed carrier and the first one in China equipped with electromagnetic catapults and arresting devices, greatly narrowing the technological gap with its US counterparts. The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy had no aircraft carrier 10 years ago, and the launch of the Fujian reflects just how fast China's aircraft carrier program has developed and the big strides made by the PLA Navy.
- PLA warships circumnavigate Japan in distance sea drills amid US, Japanese provocations Global Times 21 Jun 2022 -- Led by the Type 055 large destroyer Lhasa, a Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy flotilla reportedly sailed from northwest to the east and south sides of Japan on Monday and Tuesday after making transits in three strategic straits near the island country, and the vessels are expected to make a full circle around Japan if they are to continue in their path and return to base, similarly to a voyage by a Chinese-Russian joint flotilla last year.
- Xi encourages PLA infantry academy students to contribute to strengthening armed forces People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has encouraged students from the Army Infantry Academy of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) to contribute to the cause of strengthening China's armed forces.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on June 21, 2022 PRC MofA 21 Jun 2022
- FM demands explanation following report of Five Eyes building China infiltration rumors Global Times 21 Jun 2022 -- While the Five Eyes Alliance is interfering and infiltrating into China, they are distorting the facts and blaming China of "infiltration" instead, which reveals their deep-rooted Cold War mentality and ideological bias, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on the Five Eyes Alliance's action to tarnish China's image in the world.
- China to further deepen, substantiate BRICS cooperation People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping will host the 14th BRICS Summit in Beijing on June 23.
- Hong Kong's future very promising: Chief Executive Carrie Lam People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Hong Kong has returned to the right track of "one country, two systems" and its future is very promising.
- Secretary Raimondo Statement on Implementation of the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act - and the Newly-Released Strategy to Combat the use of Forced Labor in Supply Chains US Dept. of Commerce 21 Jun 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo issued a statement on today's implementation of the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act (UFLPA), and the recent release of the Strategy to Prevent the Importation of Goods Mined, Produced, or Manufactured with Forced Labor in the People's Republic of China, which was prepared by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Comm erce Department and other federal agencies and delivered to Congress.
- Implementation of the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act US Dept. of State 21 Jun 2022 -- Starting today, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will begin to implement the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act's provisions to prohibit imports made by forced labor into the United States of products made in Xinjiang. President Biden signed the Act into law on December 23, 2021, after it passed with overwhelming bipartisan support in the United States Congress, underscoring our commitment to combating forced labor everywhere, including in Xinjiang, where genocide and crimes against humanity are ongoing.
- China firmly opposes US ban on imports of Xinjiang-related products: MOFCOM Global Times 21 Jun 2022 -- China firmly opposes the US ban on imports of any products related to Xinjiang. The US move is a typical act of economic coercion, seriously harming the interests of enterprises and consumers in both countries, and it is not conducive to the stability of global industrial and supply chains, a spokesperson from China's Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) said on Tuesday.
- Number of Chinese nationals seeking asylum grows tenfold under Xi Jinping Radio Free Asia 21 Jun 2022 -- The number of Chinese nationals seeking political asylum overseas has skyrocketed under ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping, according to a recent report.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list