Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Cities recovering as dynamic zero-COVID approach mitigates virus impact People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- Life and work are getting back to normal in China, as it has brought the COVID-19 virus transmission under control after battling the latest flare-ups in cities including the political and economic hubs of Beijing and Shanghai over the past months.
- Chinese mainland reports 14 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Sunday reported 14 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 10 in Shanghai and four in Beijing, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Beijing resumes normal operation of all subway stations People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- All metro stations in Beijing that were closed due to epidemic prevention and control resumed operation on Sunday, according to the municipal transport commission.
- Beijing screens out one COVID-19 case from community People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported one locally transmitted COVID-19 case from community screening as of 5 p.m. Sunday, the municipal government told a press conference.
- Shanghai reports one asymptomatic COVID-19 case from community People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- Shanghai reported one locally transmitted asymptomatic COVID-19 case from community screening on Sunday, the municipal government told a press conference.
- Hong Kong keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Sunday that it will distribute around 180,000 sets of COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Macao closes public venues after detecting 31 local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- China's Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) reported 31 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Sunday, according to the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center of Macao.
- China declares successful test of land-based missile-interception system Press TV 20 Jun 2022 -- China has successfully tested a land-based missile interception system, the Defense Ministry said, describing it as defensive.
- China Announces Successful Anti-Ballistic Missile Test Amid Push to 'Enhance Defense Capabilities' Sputnik 20 Jun 2022 -- The test comes amid simmering tensions between Beijing and Washington, as China's defense minister accused the US of "smearing" and trying to 'contain' his country by interfering in its internal affairs.
- China tightens regulation of business activities of officials' relatives People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- The General Office of the Communist Party of China Central Committee has issued a regulation on the business activities of relatives of officials.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on June 20, 2022 PRC MofA 20 Jun 2022
China Says It Is Willing to Help End Conflict in Horn of Africa VOA 20 Jun 2022 -- China's special envoy to the Horn of Africa, Xue Bing, has said Beijing is ready to help the region's countries find peace and get rid of what he called external interference. Xue made the comments at China and the Horn of Africa's first Peace, Governance and Development Conference in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Liaison office of central gov't congratulates newly-appointed principal officials of sixth-term HKSAR gov't People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- The Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Sunday expressed firm support and extended congratulations to principal officials of the sixth-term HKSAR government appointed by China's State Council based on the nominations put forward by the incoming HKSAR chief executive John Lee.
- HKSAR chief executive greets newly-appointed principal officials of incoming gov't People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam on Sunday extended congratulations to the principal officials of the sixth-term government of the HKSAR, who were newly appointed by the central government.
- Newly-appointed principal officials of incoming gov't pledge to lead Hong Kong from stability to prosperity People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- Incoming Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) John Lee and the newly-appointed principal officials expressed their gratitude for the central government's appointment during a press conference held on Sunday.
- Incoming HK chief says team united, loyal People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- Incoming Hong Kong leader John Lee Ka-chiu pledged on Sunday that the city's newly appointed governance team will sincerely listen to and communicate with the public, bear in mind their interests, and address the people's concerns.
- Hong Kong's new leadership to keep up hard line on dissent, political opposition Radio Free Asia 20 Jun 2022 -- Hong Kong's new leadership-in-waiting will continue to focus on a "national security" crackdown when it takes office on July 1 under incoming leader John Lee, whose cabinet was confirmed by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) in Beijing over the weekend.
- Incoming HK chief says team united, loyal People's Daily 20 Jun 2022 -- China's State Council on Saturday appointed principal officials of the sixth-term government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) based on the nominations put forward by the incoming HKSAR chief executive John Lee.
- US Begins Enforcement of Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act VOA 20 Jun 2022 -- The United States on Tuesday begins enforcing the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act (UFLPA), which requires companies that import goods from China's Xinjiang region to provide "clear and convincing evidence" that no component was produced with slave labor.
- Social media comments express 'shock' over Tangshan police's treatment of reporters Radio Free Asia 20 Jun 2022 -- Authorities in the northern Chinese city of Tangshan have been obstructing state media journalists after they tried to follow up on a crackdown on organized crime in the city, sparked by thugs beating up women at a barbecue restaurant earlier this month, social media reports said.
- China's Russian Oil Imports Spike, Surpassing Saudi Supplies RFE/RL 20 Jun 2022 -- Chinese imports of oil from Russia in May increased by more than half from a year earlier, an indicator of a growing trade since many Western countries imposed fuel and other sanctions to punish President Vladimir Putin's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- Crude Awakening: Unquenchable China Snaps Up Russian Oil Sanctioned by the West Sputnik 20 Jun 2022 -- Oil imports accounted for about 62 percent of the Asian economic giant's total crude consumption in 2021. Warm ties with Moscow, discounts offered by Russian producers, and threats by the United States and its allies to cut access to sea-based trade routes have prompted Beijing to look to its northern neighbor for more and more of its energy needs.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list