Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports 42 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 42 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 14 in Beijing, 13 in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, and nine in Shanghai, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Beijing reports 14 confirmed, 4 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported 14 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and four local asymptomatic cases on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- Shanghai reports 9 confirmed, 7 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jun 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported nine confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and seven local asymptomatic cases on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- Hong Kong to distribute about 200,000 RAT kits following sewage COVID-19 detection People's Daily 16 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Wednesday that it will distribute around 200,000 sets of COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits as part of a follow-up on the recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Beijing reports seven new local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 16 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported seven new locally-transmitted COVID-19 infections during the first 15 hours of Wednesday, said local authorities.
- Shanghai reports 2 local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 16 Jun 2022 -- Shanghai reported two locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases from midnight to 5 p.m. Wednesday, the municipal health commission said at a press conference.
- Shanghai's last temporary COVID-19 hospital closes People's Daily 16 Jun 2022 -- The last temporary hospital for COVID-19 patients in Shanghai during the latest resurgence of infections closed down Wednesday.
- Strict use of health code urged as homebuyers suspectedly given red codes after complaints against unfinished residential project Global Times 16 Jun 2022 -- A number of homebuyers of a residential project under construction in Zhengzhou, Central China's Henan Province, told media on Wednesday that their health codes had turned red for no apparent reason after they reported problems with their properties to the authorities.
- Taiwan Has Potential to 'Attack Beijing' With Cruise Missiles, Lawmaker Says Amid Simmering Tensions Sputnik 16 Jun 2022 -- Late last week, Beijing made it clear that if anyone "dares to split Taiwan from China, the Chinese Army will definitely not hesitate to start a war no matter the cost".
- China won't allow secession of Taiwan: Official Press TV 16 Jun 2022 -- China will not allow the secession of Taiwan from the mainland, says a senior Chinese official, amid heightened tensions between Beijing and the self-ruled island.
- China Claims New Technical Tool; Analysts Suspect Dual Military Use VOA 16 Jun 2022 -- China is showing off new sea-based technology as it seeks to assert its dominance in the Pacific, analysts say.
- Former University of Arkansas Professor Sentenced to a Year and a Day for Lying to Federal Agents About Patents in China US Dept. of Justice 16 Jun 2022 -- An Arkansas man and former University of Arkansas professor was sentenced today to 12 months and a day in prison followed by one year of supervised release on one count of making a false statement to the FBI about the existence of patents for his inventions in the People's Republic of China (PRC).
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on June 16, 2022 PRC MofA 16 Jun 2022
- China balancing close ties with Russia and distance from Ukraine war: analysts Radio Free Asia 16 Jun 2022 -- Chinese leader Xi Jinping is struggling to balance his country's geopolitical interests with his support for Russia in the wake of president Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, analysts said following a call between the two leaders.
- Targeting a Sanctions Evasion Network Supporting Iranian Petrochemical Sales US Dept. of State 16 Jun 2022 -- The United States is imposing sanctions on a network of Iranian petrochemical producers and front companies in the People's Republic of China (PRC), the United Arab Emirates, and Iran that support Triliance Petrochemical Co. Ltd. and Iran's Petrochemical Commercial Company (PCC), entities instrumental in brokering the sale of Iranian petrochemicals abroad.
- Treasury Targets International Sanctions Evasion Network Supporting Iranian Petrochemical Sales US Treasury 16 Jun 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned a network of Iranian petrochemical producers, as well as front companies in the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) that support Triliance Petrochemical Co. Ltd. (Triliance) and Iran's Petrochemical Commercial Company (PCC), entities instrumental in brokering the sale of Iranian petrochemicals abroad. This network helps effectuate international transactions and evade sanctions, supporting the sale of Iranian petrochemical products to customers in the PRC and the rest of East Asia.
- U.S. Targets Companies Selling Iranian Petrochemicals In New Sanctions RFE/RL 16 Jun 2022 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on Chinese and Emirati companies and a network of Iranian firms that it says have helped export Iran's petrochemicals.
- New sanctions: US targets Chinese, Emirati firms, Indian broker for Iran petrochemical sales Press TV 16 Jun 2022 -- The administration of US President Joe Biden has imposed a new round of sanctions on Iranian petrochemical producers as well as a network of Chinese, Emirati and Indian companies over what the US Treasury described as facilitating the export of Iran's oil.
- China Reaffirms Strong Ties with Russia VOA 16 Jun 2022 -- Chinese state media says President Xi Jinping reaffirmed his country's close ties to Russia during a phone call Wednesday with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Xi, Putin hold phone call, vow mutual support amid global turbulence Global Times 16 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday afternoon held a phone conversation with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, with analysts saying this is a signal to the world that the close China-Russia strategic partnership and high-level mutual trust between the two sides remain unchanged when the world is experiencing turbulence and uncertainty.
- China Says It Has 'Zero Tolerance' for Racism Amid Malawi Fallout VOA 16 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese government is working to prevent continued diplomatic fallout and protect its image in Africa after racist videos of African children made by a Chinese man living in Malawi surfaced this week.
- Australia Intensifies Diplomatic Offensive to Counter China in the Pacific VOA 16 Jun 2022 -- Australia's new foreign minister, Penny Wong, has traveled to New Zealand as the Canberra government intensifies its efforts to counter China's growing security and trade ambitions in the Pacific region. Australia is promising its regional neighbors stronger action to combat climate change.
- China nationalizes private schools in ongoing reform of education sector Radio Free Asia 16 Jun 2022 -- Authorities across China have begun nationalizing private schools, amid ongoing reforms aimed at bringing all educational institutions under the direct control of the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
- Incoming HKSAR chief executive hails LegCo's passage of gov't reorganization proposal People's Daily 16 Jun 2022 -- John Lee, the newly-appointed sixth-term chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), on Wednesday welcomed the passage of the resolution on the proposed reorganization of the government structure for the sixth-term HKSAR government by the HKSAR Legislative Council (LegCo).
- Activists Welcome UN Rights Chief's Decision to Step Down VOA 16 Jun 2022 -- Michelle Bachelet's decision not to seek a second term as U.N. human rights chief is being seen as a "huge victory" by China rights activists.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list