Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
15 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Last downtown COVID-19 makeshift hospital in Shanghai closes People's Daily 15 Jun 2022 -- The makeshift hospital will be shut down on Wednesday, leaving the Fuxing Pavilion at the China Flower Expo in Chongming District as the last operating COVID-19 makeshift hospital.
- Beijing reports 25 confirmed, 38 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported 25 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 38 local asymptomatic cases on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said Wednesday.
- Shanghai reports 13 confirmed, 2 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 15 Jun 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 13 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and two local asymptomatic cases on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said Wednesday.
- Shanghai reports 3 local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 15 Jun 2022 -- Shanghai reported two locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and one local asymptomatic carrier from midnight to 5 p.m. Tuesday, the municipal health commission said at a press conference.
- Beijing reports 30 new local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 15 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported 30 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases during the first 15 hours of Tuesday, according to local authorities.
- Hong Kong keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 15 Jun 2022 -- The government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) said Tuesday that the COVID-19 virus continues to be detected in sewage samples from different areas in Hong Kong, indicating that there may be hidden cases in these areas.
- Henan rural bank customers curbed by COVID-19 app as they protest frozen accounts Radio Free Asia 15 Jun 2022 -- Authorities in the central Chinese province of Henan have been using the COVID-19 Health Code app to control the movements of protesters over failures at rural banks, according to social media posts.
- Reports: Chinese Authorities Using COVID-Tracking App to Thwart Protesters VOA 15 Jun 2022 -- During the early months of the pandemic, the Chinese government developed a color-coded smartphone app to track the movement of people in its effort to control the spread of COVID-19 and implement its zero-COVID policy.
- China issues monkeypox guidance as WHO considers declaring 'emergency of international concern' Global Times 15 Jun 2022 -- China's health authorities on Wednesday issued monkeypox diagnosis and treatment guidelines via official social media accounts as cases have been reported across nearly 30 non-endemic countries and regions since May, with experts calling for monitoring the potential risk of the virus being imported into China.
- US likely to turn Taiwan island into 'bigger nut to crack' in military talks, but secessionists will find it hard to celebrate its 'cannon fodder' destiny Global Times 15 Jun 2022 -- As a slew of saber-rattling security meetings between the US and the secessionist Taiwan authorities are expected to start on Wednesday (US time), following the recent China-US dialogue between defense chiefs and senior diplomats, Chinese mainland experts viewed it as a scene for the US to further press the authorities on the island to accept US arrangements for arms sales, or even act as a battle front for it.
- Measures against 'Taiwan independence' provocations an act of justice to safeguard China's sovereignty: Taiwan Affairs Office Global Times 15 Jun 2022 -- In response to the comment made by Taiwan's "Mainland Affairs Council" that China's resolution to fight "Taiwan independence" secessionists with armed forces is a "declaration of war," Taiwan Affairs Office of China's State Council said that all necessary measures taken in response to the provocation and coercion of the "Taiwan independence" secessionists are an act of justice to safeguard China's sovereignty and territorial integrity and it is China's internal affair in terms of what kind of measure to take to solve the Taiwan question.
- Mainland customs to increase nucleic acid testing on imported cold-chain products and packages from Taiwan Global Times 15 Jun 2022 -- Chinese mainland customs will increase nucleic acid testing for traces of coronavirus on imported cold-chain products and packages from Taiwan, Ma Xiaoguang, spokesperson from the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council said on Wednesday.
- Mainland will resolutely respond to "Taiwan independence" provocations: spokesperson People's Daily 15 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland will actively and resolutely respond to any provocations from "Taiwan independence" secessionists, said a mainland spokesperson Wednesday.
- US Calls Taiwan Strait 'International Waterway' as China Warns Against 'False Claim' About Area Sputnik 15 Jun 2022 -- While the US has no formal diplomatic ties with Taiwan, Washington continues to channel weapons and other support to Taipei in an informal manner. China, which views the island as its province, has repeatedly condemned US support for Taiwan, slamming it as a violation of the communiques underpinning the Washington-Taipei diplomatic relationship.
- PLA Navy's Type 055 large destroyer Lhasa holds 1st far sea drills in Sea of Japan Global Times 15 Jun 2022 -- China's second Type 055 large destroyer, the Lhasa, is reportedly holding its first far sea drills by entering the Sea of Japan, with experts saying on Wednesday that the ship has achieved full operational capability and demonstrated its capabilities in deterring possible foreign military interference in the Taiwan Straits at a time when the US and Japan have been repeatedly provoking China over the Taiwan question.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on June 15, 2022 PRC MofA 15 Jun 2022
- Telephone conversation with President of China Xi Jinping President of Russia 15 Jun 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the People's Republic of China Xi Jinping during which the two leaders had an in-depth exchange of views on a wide range of issues on the bilateral and international agendas.
- Xi talks with Putin over phone PRC MofA 15 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday afternoon held a phone conversation with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin.
- China's Xi reaffirms support for Russia's 'sovereignty, security' amid Ukraine war Press TV 15 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday reaffirmed his country's support for Russia's "sovereignty and security" amid tensions between Moscow and the West over the war in Ukraine.
- China Ready to Back Russia on Sovereignty, Security Issues, Xi Jinping Says After Talking to Putin Sputnik 15 Jun 2022 -- The Russian president's spokesman Dmitry Peskov earlier confirmed reports that the presidents of Russia and China held a phone conversation, promising that additional details would be released later.
- Amid Rising Tension with Beijing, US Creates 'China House' VOA 15 Jun 2022 -- Amid tensions in bilateral relations, the U.S. State Department is creating a new entity known as "China House" to better track what China is doing around the world.
- Senior Chinese diplomat meets U.S. national security advisor PLA Daily 15 Jun 2022 -- Yang Jiechi, a member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, met with U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan here on Monday.
- New Hong Kong school history textbooks say the city 'never was a British colony' Radio Free Asia 15 Jun 2022 -- A nationalistic program of Moral, Civic and National Education brought in to replace Liberal Studies in Hong Kong's primary and secondary schools has removed references to the city's status as a former British colony, local media reported.
- UN member states criticize China over Uyghurs at Human Rights Council session Radio Free Asia 15 Jun 2022 -- Nearly 50 United Nations member states on Wednesday issued a joint statement criticizing China's atrocities against Uyghurs and calling on the U.N. human rights chief to release a long-overdue report on abuses in Xinjiang.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list