Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
14 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing authorities file criminal case against owner of Heaven Supermarket, revoke bar's license Global Times 14 Jun 2022 -- Beijing authorities have filed a criminal case against the owner of Heaven Supermarket Bar, which becomes the epicenter of a new wave of outbreaks in the capital, for impeding the prevention of infectious diseases. The license of the bar was also revoked, and it was listed as seriously breaching the law and conducting dishonest acts.
- Lam vows every effort in epidemic control to create favorable condition for central govt leaders' visit to HK Global Times 14 Jun 2022 -- In her last Executive Council meeting on Tuesday, Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) Carrie Lam vowed to make every effort to control the local epidemic and create favorable conditions for leaders from the central government to visit, ahead of the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland.
- Beijing investigates bar over COVID-19 cluster People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- An investigation team was formed by relevant departments in Beijing to look into a bar in the wake of a cluster outbreak of COVID-19, local authorities said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 60 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Monday reported 60 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 42 in Beijing, 15 in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region and three in Shanghai, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 42 confirmed, 32 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported 42 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 32 local asymptomatic cases on Monday, the municipal health commission said Tuesday.
- Shanghai reports 3 confirmed, 14 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported three confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 14 local asymptomatic cases on Monday, the municipal health commission said Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 45 new local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- Beijing has reported 45 confirmed COVID-19 cases that were locally transmitted from midnight Sunday to 3 p.m. Monday, the municipal health commission told a press conference.
- Shanghai reports one asymptomatic local COVID-19 case People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- Shanghai reported one local asymptomatic carrier from midnight to 5 p.m. Monday, the municipal health commission said at a press conference.
- Hong Kong keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Monday that the COVID-19 virus continues to be detected in sewage samples from different areas in Hong Kong, indicating that there may be hidden cases in these areas.
- Australia Vows to Continue to Monitor South China Sea After Military Close Encounter VOA 14 Jun 2022 -- Australia Defense Minister Richard Marles says Australia will continue to exercise its right of passage through the South China Sea despite opposition from China.
- Taiwan rejects China's claims of sovereignty over Taiwan Strait CNA 14 Jun 2022 -- Taiwan's government on Tuesday described China's sovereignty claim over the Taiwan Strait as a "false claim" and said the only waters over which any country has full sovereignty are its 12-nautical mile territorial waters.
- Taiwan says China's sovereignty claims over Taiwan Strait reveal military ambitions Radio Free Asia 14 Jun 2022 -- Taiwan on Tuesday rejected China's claim that the Taiwan Strait, the body of water between the democratic island and China, were its own territorial waters.
- Senior Chinese diplomat Yang Jiechi warns US not to have miscalculation or illusion on Taiwan question Global Times 14 Jun 2022 -- In talks with National Security Advisor of the US Jake Sullivan in Luxembourg, senior Chinese diplomat Yang Jiechi said the US shouldn't have miscalculation or illusion on the Taiwan question and warned that the Taiwan question, if inappropriately handled, will have a disruptive impact.
- Spokesperson denounces deceitful statements of DPP People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authorities have always deceived and misled international public opinion in the name of democracy, said a mainland spokesperson on Monday.
- Solomon Islands Foreign Minister Pushes Back on Criticism of Deal With China Sputnik 14 Jun 2022 -- The US and Australia previously expressed concern and disappointment over the Solomon Islands' decision to sign a security agreement with China, the conditions of which remain undisclosed. The leaked draft of it led to allegations that the island nation could serve as a foothold for the Chinese military in the Pacific.
- Senior Chinese diplomat meets US national security advisor Global Times 14 Jun 2022 -- Yang Jiechi, a member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, met with U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan here on Monday.
- U.S. should stop creating divisions, confrontation: Chinese FM spokesperson People's Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Monday urged the United States to match its words with action, including not seeking confrontation or conflict, not seeking a new Cold War, and not seeking an Asian NATO or a region split into hostile blocs, and to stop saying or doing things that could create division and confrontation.
- Chinese military launches non-commissioned officer recruitment program among gaokao sitters Global Times 14 Jun 2022 -- China is recruiting non-commissioned officers (NCOs) for specific purposes among 2022 national college entrance examinations (or gaokao) sitters for the first time since the nation launched the NCO program, underscoring the country's efforts to boost the quality of its troops and improve the employment of graduates at the same time.
- General universities, colleges in China start cultivating NCO students for military PLA Daily 14 Jun 2022 -- The enrollment for the non-commissioned officer (NCO) targeted training program has been launched in China's institutes of higher learning. This marks the first enrollment of NCO students since the implementation of the new NCO system.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on June 14, 2022 PRC MofA 14 Jun 2022
- Update: Yang-Sullivan meeting draws bottom line for US Global Times 14 Jun 2022 -- Chinese and US senior diplomats met face-to-face for the fourth time in a year as tensions across the Taiwan Straits intensified due to Washington's misconception of its China policy.
- As Others 'Decouple,' Canada Moves to Mend China Relations VOA 14 Jun 2022 -- At a time when the United States and some of its allies are seeking to reduce their dependence on China for strategic and other goods, Canada is looking to move past an ugly spat that drove relations with Beijing to a historic low.
- China Wins Battle of Perception Among Young Africans VOA 14 Jun 2022 -- If it's a battle for hearts, minds - and wallets - then according to young Africans, China is outperforming the U.S. these days.
- Exclusive: China captures powerful US NSA cyberspy tool Global Times 14 Jun 2022 -- China captured a spy tool deployed by the US National Security Agency, which is capable of lurking in a victim's computer to access sensitive information and was found to have controlled global internet equipment and stole large amounts of users' information, according to a report the Global Times obtained from the National Computer Virus Emergency Response Center exclusively on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list