Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing's latest bar-related COVID-19 flare-up 'more difficult to contain' than 2020 Xinfadi market outbreak Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- Beijing has once again come under the shadows of an epidemic flare-up only few days after it announced a cautious reopening of public venues. The city saw a strongest cluster infection stemming from a bar in one of its busiest downtown streets with a scale and severity larger than all previous ones, which has resulted in 166 related infections in four days.
- Cluster infections stemming from Beijing's Paradise Supermarket Bar deemed more severe than Xinfadi cluster Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- The scale and severity of the cluster infections stemming from Paradise Supermarket Bar in Beijing is deemed larger than the worst one involving the Xinfadi wholesale market, authorities said, warning risks of more spillovers as a total of 166 cases are found now.
- Top expert suggests significantly more efficient vaccine for boosters Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- China's top respiratory disease expert Zhong Nanshan advised on Friday to use a different type of vaccine as a booster following two doses of inactivated vaccines, as using a different vaccine for the booster turned out to be significantly more efficient in the prevention against COVID-19.
- Most Beijing pubs close as bar-related COVID-19 cases continue to increase Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- The bulk of bars in Beijing were closed again as of Sunday after two days of operation, as the capital strengthened anti-epidemic measures again amid increasing COVID-19 cases related a bar cluster, which spilled over to other districts of the city.
- Chinese mainland reports 122 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 122 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 78 in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, 34 in Beijing and 10 in Shanghai, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Beijing reports 34 confirmed, 31 asymptomatic local COVID cases People's Daily 12 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported 34 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 31 local asymptomatic cases on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- 57 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 12 Jun 2022 -- A total of 57 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Saturday, the National Health Commission said in its Sunday report.
- Shanghai reports 10 confirmed, 19 asymptomatic local COVID cases People's Daily 12 Jun 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 10 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 19 local asymptomatic cases on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Beijing's bar-related COVID-19 infections rise to 115 People's Daily 12 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported 115 infections in a new COVID-19 cluster related to a bar from Thursday to 3 p.m. Saturday, local authorities said.
- China bears no responsibility for border conflicts with India: Chinese Defense Minister Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- The merits of the China-India border conflicts are very clear, and the responsibility does not lie with China, said China's State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe at the International Institute for Strategic Studies' 19th Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore on Sunday morning.
- Chinese defense chief sends 'strongest warning' to US on Taiwan question; 'Indo-Pacific strategy will fail to divide region' Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese armed forces will fight to the very end if anyone dares to split Taiwan from China, said the Chinese defense chief in a speech delivered at the Shangri-La Dialogue on Sunday. Chinese analysts said this is the strongest warning China has sent to the US, as Washington has frequently used the Taiwan question to provoke China and encourage the separatist authorities on the island to worsen the region's security situation.
- We will fight to the end if anyone dares to take Taiwan out of China: Defense Minister Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese armed forces will fight to the very end if anyone dares to split Taiwan out of China, said State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe in a speech delivered at the Shangri-La Dialogue on Sunday.
- Chinese nuclear force development impressive; new weapons commissioned: Defense Minister Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- Having developed its capabilities for over five decades, China's nuclear force has seen impressive progress, with new weapons and the equipment displayed at the National Day military parade in 2019 all commissioned to the Chinese armed forces, said State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe on Sunday.
- Chinese defense minister elaborates China's Vision for Regional Order at 19th Shangri-La Dialogue PLA Daily 12 Jun 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe delivered a speech on "China's Vision for Regional Order" at the 19th Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore on June 12, 2022.
- Senior military officers of China, Pakistan advocate more coordination and cooperation PLA Daily 12 Jun 2022 -- Vice Chairman of China's Central Military Commission (CMC) General Zhang Youxia met with the visiting the Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa in Qingdao, capital city of east China's Shandong province, on the morning of June 12, 2022.
- New 'Unmanned Drone Mothership' Could Benefit Chinese Navy, Media Says Sputnik 12 Jun 2022 -- While the vessel was presented by China as an instrument for marine research, a senior fellow at the China Power Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies argued that, as Chinese activities in the South China Sea allegedly show, "scientific ventures can be a precursor or otherwise support military objectives".
- China to regain world's top spot in shipbuilding as Shanghai shipyards ramp up resumption Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- Chinese shipbuilders are working around the clock to meet rising global orders as Shanghai, the major world production center for shipbuilding, gets fully back to business, with some industry analysts expecting that the Chinese shipbuilding sector will reclaim the world's top position in the second half of this year.
- China's Defense Minister Says US Indo-Pacific Strategy Directed Against One Country Sputnik 12 Jun 2022 -- Chinese Defene Minister Wei Fenghe said on Sunday that the US Indo-Pacific strategy is aimed at fomenting confrontation in the region to deter one particular country.
- China says ties with US at critical juncture, vows to 'fight to the very end' Press TV 12 Jun 2022 -- Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe says relations with the US are at a critical juncture, warning Washington to "stop harming China's interests".
- Chinese Defense Minister Warns of Confrontation if US Tries to Corner China VOA 12 Jun 2022 -- Dressed in his uniform as a general of the People's Liberation Army, Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe on Sunday warned the U.S. against trying to corner China and interfere in its internal affairs.
- U.S. attempting to 'hijack countries in our region' to target China, Wei Fenghe says Radio Free Asia 12 Jun 2022 -- China's Defense Minister Wei Fenghe delivered scathing remarks about the U.S. Indo-Pacific strategy in a speech in Singapore on Sunday, calling it an attempt to form a clique to contain China.
- US, China Blame Each Other Over Food Insecurity VOA 12 Jun 2022 -- Food insecurity is rising globally because of the war in Ukraine, according to experts, with Africa expected to be hit the hardest. The world's superpowers, China and the U.S., say they are trying to mitigate the fallout but at the same time are accusing each other of exacerbating the crisis.
- ASEAN states unlikely to choose sides between US and China, say officials and experts Radio Free Asia 12 Jun 2022 -- When Cambodia's Minister of National Defense General Tea Banh was seen taking a leisurely dip in the Gulf of Thailand with Chinese Ambassador Wang Wentian after a ribbon-cutting ceremony for a Cambodian naval base being built with China's help earlier this month, no one in the region batted an eyelid.
- Turkey, China See Opportunity In Central Asia After Moscow's Ukraine Invasion RFE/RL 12 Jun 2022 -- Since Moscow's February invasion of Ukraine, Central Asian governments have sought to limit their reliance on Russia and grapple with the economic fallout from economic sanctions that the Kremlin's war has brought to their region.
- Chinese attendee refutes Western scholars' dÃ©jÃ vu rumors against China over reaction to Zelensky's speech at Shangri-La Dialogue Global Times 12 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese delegation attending the Shangri-La Dialogue summit in Singapore has become the target of rumors again, when two Western research fellows tweeted on Saturday that the Chinese delegation walked out of the meeting room when Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky started his speech via video link.
- UN Rights Chief Under Fire Over Trip to China Ahead of Human Rights Council Meeting VOA 12 Jun 2022 -- U.N. Human Rights Chief, Michelle Bachelet is under fire over her recent trip to China, with critics accusing her of missing an opportunity to condemn Beijing's forced incarceration of nearly two million Uyghurs in internment camps in the country's Xinjiang province.
- Could China's zero-COVID policy spur a mass protest movement? Radio Free Asia 12 Jun 2022 -- As the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) continues with large-scale and long-term lockdowns on major cities, mass incarceration in quarantine camps and on university and college campuses, coupled with blanket digital surveillance and control over people's movements, some signs of mass discontent have begun to emerge.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list