Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- In Shanghai, Bleak Mood Lingers Beyond Lockdown's End VOA 10 Jun 2022 -- "I used to have normal emotions and feelings, but (the government) locked me at home for two months and took away my happiness."
- Beijing and Shanghai manage to maintain reopening steps despite sporadic infections Global Times 10 Jun 2022 -- The sporadic COVID-9 cases found in Beijing and Shanghai and the tightening of regional measures have cast a shadow on the gradual reopening of China's two largest cities. But observers said the resumption of normal life and work in the two cities and across the country will not be impeded as China has updated its regular epidemic policy to better cope with the stealth Omicron based on experience from the last two months.
- Beijing reports 21 more cases linked to cluster infection at popular bar Global Times 10 Jun 2022 -- Beijing on Friday reported 21 COVID-19 cases and 10 asymptomatic ones, most of which are linked to a bar in Sanlitun of Chaoyang district, and city officials are continuing to screen for further possible infections.
- Chinese mainland reports 30 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Thursday reported 30 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 15 in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, seven in Beijing, six in Shanghai and two in Liaoning, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Hong Kong keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 10 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Thursday that the COVID-19 virus continues to be detected in sewage samples from different areas in Hong Kong, indicating that there may be hidden cases in these areas.
- Beijing reports 3 new local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 10 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported three new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases during the first 15 hours of Thursday, according to local authorities.
- Shanghai adds 6 COVID-19 infections People's Daily 10 Jun 2022 -- Shanghai reported five locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and one local asymptomatic carrier on Thursday, the municipal health commission said at a press conference on Thursday afternoon.
- PLA General: Japan Was First to Disrupt East China Sea Status Quo - Not Beijing Sputnik 10 Jun 2022 -- Earlier on Friday, Fumio Kishida, Japan's prime minister, pledged to strengthen his country's military posture and collaboration with allies, citing Asia's "increasingly severe" security climate in a speech in which he also made veiled criticisms of China's actions in the South China Sea, East China Sea, and Taiwan Strait.
- U.S. defense secretary urges China not to undermine cross-strait stability CNA 10 Jun 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III on Friday urged China not to further undermine stability across the Taiwan Strait, during a meeting with his Chinese counterpart in Singapore.
- Chinese defense minister vows to fight 'Taiwan independence' in 1st face-to-face meeting with Austin Global Times 10 Jun 2022 -- Chinese and US defense chiefs on Friday held their first face-to-face meeting in Singapore, with Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe reiterating China's firm position on the Taiwan question, stressing the Chinese military will not hesitate to fight, and will resolutely crush any "Taiwan independence" attempts to firmly safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity.
- China warns US it will not hesitate to start war over Taiwan Press TV 10 Jun 2022 -- China's defense minister has warned his US counterpart that Beijing will start a war without any hesitation if Taiwan declares independence.
- Beijing to 'Smash to Smithereens' Any 'Taiwan Independence' Plot, China Defence Chief Warns US Sputnik 10 Jun 2022 -- China, whose official policy envisions a peaceful unification of Taiwan with the Mainland, has repeatedly warned that it sees Washington's arms sales and unofficial diplomatic support for Taipei as meddling in its internal affairs and a violation of its sovereignty.
- US-China Military Leaders Meet at Singapore Dialogue VOA 10 Jun 2022 -- U.S. and Chinese military leaders held talks Friday for the first time since U.S. President Joe Biden took office.
- U.S.-China defense chiefs meet at Asia security summit Radio Free Asia 10 Jun 2022 -- The defense chiefs of the United States and China held their first in-person meeting on Friday at the start of a regional security forum in Singapore where tensions between the two world powers are taking center stage.
- Secretary Austin's Meeting With People's Republic of China (PRC) Minister of National Defense General Wei Fenghe DoD 10 Jun 2022 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III met today with the People's Republic of China's (PRC) Minister of National Defense General Wei Fenghe on the margins of the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore. Secretary Austin and General Wei discussed U.S.-PRC defense relations and regional security issues.
- Austin Meets With Chinese Counterpart in Singapore DoD News 10 Jun 2022 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III met today with Chinese Defense Minister Gen. Wei Fenghe to discuss U.S.- China defense relations.
- US, China military chiefs trade barbs at 1st meeting Press TV 10 Jun 2022 -- US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has met with Chinese State Councilor and Minister of National Defense Wei Fenghe amid heightened tensions between the two countries over recent remarks regarding the Taipei regime.
- China draws security red line to US at defense ministers' longer-than-expected first meeting Global Times 10 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese military won't hesitate to fight anyone who dares to separate the island of Taiwan from China, China's State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe told US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin during their first meeting in Singapore at the International Institute for Strategic Studies' (IISS) 19th Shangri-La Dialogue on Friday.
- Chinese defense minister holds talks with US counterpart in Singapore PLA Daily 10 Jun 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe held talks with US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin when attending the 19th IISS Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore on June 10, 2022.
- China, S.Korea defense chiefs agree to enhance exchanges, as a peaceful peninsula is in their interests Global Times 10 Jun 2022 -- Chinese and South Korea defense ministers exchanged views on Friday at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, which observers saw as an important and timely occasion for the two to have a comprehensive communication to better understand each other and jointly work toward regional peace and security which is facing great challenges amid external interference.
- Singapore PM meets with Chinese Defense Minister PLA Daily 10 Jun 2022 -- The Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Hsien Loong met with the visiting Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe at the Istana on the afternoon of June 10, 2022.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on June 10, 2022 PRC MofA 10 Jun 2022
- Minister Zbigniew Rau talks with head of Chinese diplomacy Republic of Poland 10 Jun 2022 -- On 10th of June 2022, Minister Zbigniew Rau spoke, via a video call, with Minister of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China Wang Yi. The conversation was held within the framework of the 3rd meeting of Poland-China Intergovernmental Committee. It was an opportunity to discuss not only bilateral issues, but also the most important regional and global affairs.
- As Crisis-Hit Sri Lanka Counts Cost of Chinese Projects, India Moves to Recover Influence VOA 10 Jun 2022 -- In Colombo, Sri Lanka's capital, a sprawling port city showcased as a financial hub to rival Dubai is being set up on 269 hectares of land dredged from the sea. It is the latest of the huge Chinese-funded infrastructure projects in the island country that include a port and an airport in Hambantota.
- Hong Kong investigative news agency FactWire shuts down, citing 'great change.' Radio Free Asia 10 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong-based investigative news agency FactWire announced its closure on Friday, the latest in a line of cutting-edge media outlets to fold amid an ongoing crackdown on dissent under a draconian national security law.
- China top legislature condemns European Parliament's resolution on Xinjiang Global Times 10 Jun 2022 -- A spokesperson of China's top legislature said on Friday that China strongly condemns the so-called resolution on "the human rights situation in Xinjiang" adopted by the European Parliament, and urged it to immediately stop interfering in China's internal affairs.
- UN human rights experts urge China to allow them 'full access' UN News 10 Jun 2022 -- Dozens of independent UN human rights experts on Friday urged the Chinese Government to "cooperate fully" with the UN human rights system over abuse allegations, and grant them "unhindered access - particularly to prisons and detention centres.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list