Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing cuts COVID-19 transmission chain: official Global Times 08 Jun 2022 -- Beijing has effectively cut the COVID-19 transmission chain as there have been no infections reported outside quarantine zones for five consecutive days, and no new high-risk areas have been found so far, said a Beijing government official at a media briefing on Wednesday.
- N.China's Inner Mongolia registers 240 positive COVID-19 cases in six days Global Times 08 Jun 2022 -- As the COVID-19 epidemic in other parts of China subsides, it's flaring up in North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region which on Wednesday said it's registered 240 positive infections in the past six days.
- China's top medical authority requires 'strictest supervision' on coronavirus testing reagents Global Times 08 Jun 2022 -- China's National Medical Products Administration issued a notice on Tuesday, requiring regulatory authorities at all levels to exercise the "strictest supervision" on the quality and safety of coronavirus testing reagents.
- Chinese mainland reports 44 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported 44 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 35 in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Shanghai, Beijing residents give lie to claims that COVID-19 lockdowns have eased Radio Free Asia 08 Jun 2022 -- Despite the government's claims that a two-month lockdown in Shanghai has been relaxed, residents of some districts of the city said they have yet to regain their freedom, amid ongoing shortages of food and other daily necessities.
- Shanghai reports 4 confirmed, 11 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Jun 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported four confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 11 local asymptomatic cases on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said Wednesday.
- Beijing reports 5 new local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 08 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported five new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases during the 15 hours leading up to 3 p.m. Tuesday, according to local authorities.
- Shanghai adds 4 local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 08 Jun 2022 -- Shanghai reported two locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and two local asymptomatic carriers on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.
- Filipino fishermen, boat owner 'compensated' for South China Sea ramming incident Radio Free Asia 08 Jun 2022 -- Filipino fishermen whose boat sank in 2019 after a Chinese trawler rammed into it in disputed South China Sea waters have received six million Philippine pesos (U.S $113,421) in compensation, the Department of Justice said Wednesday.
- European Parliament voices concern over China's 'threats' to Taiwan CNA 08 Jun 2022 -- The European Parliament on Tuesday voted to pass a resolution expressing concern over China's "threats" to Taiwan's sovereignty and security in the wider Indo-Pacific region.
- Chinese defense chief to expound on security at Shangri-La Dialogue as US pushes 'Indo-Pacific' Global Times 08 Jun 2022 -- After being cancelled for two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) 19th Shangri-La Dialogue is scheduled to take place in Singapore from Friday to Sunday, with the world focusing on the in-person speeches to be delivered by US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin on June 11 and by Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe on June 12, as well as whether the defense chiefs of the two countries would hold a meeting there.
- PLA includes robots, drones in amphibious landing training for officer cadets Global Times 08 Jun 2022 -- Academies of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently integrated a large number of unmanned and intelligent equipment including unmanned vehicles, drones and robots into the amphibious landing training for officer cadets, showing a high level of combat preparedness and what future amphibious landing warfare could be like.
- China navy facility in Cambodia raises eyebrows in Vietnam and beyond Radio Free Asia 08 Jun 2022 -- Latest developments at the Ream Naval Base in Cambodia, where China is building a facility that its military can use, have raised quiet concerns in neighboring Vietnam, where military strategists have been closely following events across the border.
- China-aided renovation kicks off in Cambodia's Ream Naval Base, Ambassador slams Western speculation Global Times 08 Jun 2022 -- The China-assisted renovation of the Cambodia's Ream Naval Base does not target any third party and China firmly opposes some countries' moves to smear normal exchanges between Cambodia and China, Chinese Ambassador to Cambodia Wang Wentian said Wednesday amid Western media reports that said China is building a military base in Cambodia.
- China's top security authority institutionalizes rewarding citizens for reporting activities that endanger national security Global Times 08 Jun 2022 -- China's Ministry of State Security (MSS) on Monday released a regulation on rewards for citizens reporting activities that endanger national security who will be given an incentive based on the effectiveness and contribution of their reports, with the maximum amount exceeding 100,000 yuan ($15,000).
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on June 8, 2022 PRC MofA 08 Jun 2022
- China, Russia Called to Explain DPRK Veto at UN VOA 08 Jun 2022 -- China and Russia were called to explain to the international community on Wednesday why they vetoed a Security Council resolution calling for new sanctions on North Korea for its recent string of prohibited long-range and ballistic missile tests.
- China vows to help Sri Lanka cope with economic difficulties as a response to Sri Lanka's loan request: Chinese FM Global Times 08 Jun 2022 -- China vows to play an active role in helping Sri Lanka cope with the economic difficulties and ease the burden of debts, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Wednesday in response to Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa's remarks that China has not yet responded to Sri Lanka's $1 billion loan request.
- National Security Trial Begins for 47 Hong Kong Pro-democracy Activists VOA 08 Jun 2022 -- Hong Kong's largest national security law case started on Tuesday, with 47 pro-democracy activists and lawmakers standing trial.
- Xinjiang: Speech by High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell at the EP debate on the human rights situation European External Action Service (EEAS) 08 Jun 2022 -- Speech delivered by Executive Vice-President for An Economy that Works for People, Valdis Dombrovskis
- 'Scale' and 'Scope' of Forced Labor in Xinjiang Increasing, Report Says VOA 08 Jun 2022 -- A new report on Uyghur forced labor in China finds there may be an increase in Beijing's coercive labor campaign targeting the predominantly Muslim ethnic group in Xinjiang, expanding a widely condemned program that China has long denied.
- Ministry: US hypes up Xinjiang issue to contain China People's Daily 08 Jun 2022 -- China has demanded the United States give a reasonable explanation about US diplomats reportedly acknowledging that Washington has hyped up issues related to the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region in an attempt to contain China.
- Human Rights Group Calls for Russian, Chinese Atrocities to Be Laid Bare VOA 08 Jun 2022 -- A leading human rights organization is calling on the U.N. Human Rights Council to appoint a special rapporteur to investigate and document human rights violations within Russia as the best way to curtail atrocities in Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list