Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing to stick to dynamic zero-COVID policy in its cleanup phase against COVID-19 Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- Beijing will unfalteringly carry out "dynamic zero-COVID" measures to defend its hard-won anti-epidemic victories with a clear head, said Xu Hejian, spokesperson of the Beijing municipal government, on Sunday at a press conference, a day after the city entered the cleanup phase against COVID-19.
- More than a hundred COVID-19 silent carriers reported in NE China's border city Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- A total of 128 COVID-19 asymptomatic cases have been reported in Northeast China's Liaoning Province from May 24 to Saturday, all in the border city Dandong which is about 160 kilometers from Pyongyang.
- Beijing to reopen dining in restaurants in most districts from June 6 as city further eases COVID restrictions Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- The Beijing government announced to allow dining in restaurants from Monday except for Fengtai district and parts of Changping district, one month after it banned the service citywide to contain the Omicron variant. Primary and middle school students will also resume offline classes from June 13.
- Beijing reports 16 confirmed, 3 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported 16 new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and three local asymptomatic cases on Saturday, the Beijing municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Hong Kong to distribute about 100,000 sets of RAT kits following sewage COVID-19 detection People's Daily 05 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Saturday that it will distribute around 100,000 sets of COVID-19 rapid antigen test (RAT) kits to people in an area of the region as part of a follow-up on recent detection of the COVID-19 virus in sewage samples.
- Shanghai reports 6 confirmed, 16 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Jun 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported six confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 16 local asymptomatic cases on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Shenzhou-14 crew moves into Tianhe, kicking off 'most complicated' manned space mission to date Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- China's Tianhe space station core module and Tianzhou-3, -4 cargo spacecraft combination have received a new crew of taikonauts, some 10 hours after the mission was launched from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in Northwest China's Gansu Province on Sunday.
- 3 Chinese Astronauts Arrive at Tiangong Space Station VOA 05 Jun 2022 -- Three Chinese astronauts arrived at the country's space station on Sunday, the Chinese space agency for human flights said, the latest stride in Beijing's aim to become a major space power.
- Japan nibbles at one-China principle with 'dangerous' plan to send active-duty military staff to Taiwan, consequences far beyond 'ties deterioration' Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- China needs to be alert to Japan's escalation of substantive engagement with Taiwan secessionist authorities and the possibility of the island becoming a new intelligence stronghold against the Chinese mainland, Chinese experts said on Sunday, following Japanese media's reports that Japan has decided to send active-duty military staff to the island of Taiwan for the first time.
- Drones deployed on aircraft carrier Shandong; 'more advanced tech to come soon' Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- The deployment of lightweight drones on the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's aircraft carrier Shandong sparked a wave of speculation by overseas media, which hyped that China has surpassed the US in deploying drones on aircraft carriers.
- PLA aircraft deal with Canadian, Australian provocative close-in recon in East and South China Seas Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- Warplanes of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently dealt with close-in reconnaissance and provocative activities by surveillance planes from Canada and Australia on China in the East China Sea and South China Sea respectively, Chinese sources and analysts said on Sunday.
- Exclusive: Canadian warplanes provoke China with close-in recon over E.China Sea; claims that China buzzing military flights not true: source Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- Reports claiming that the Chinese military aircraft "buzzed" Canadian military aircraft are not consistent with the truth: it was the Canadian warplanes that traveled all the way to the East China Sea and conducted close-in reconnaissance, thus provoking China, a source familiar with the matter told the Global Times on Sunday.
- Chinese interception of P-8A Poseidon on 26 May 2022 Australia DOD 05 Jun 2022 -- Defence advises that on 26 May 2022, a RAAF P-8 maritime surveillance aircraft was intercepted by a Chinese J-16 fighter aircraft during a routine maritime surveillance activity in international airspace in the South China Sea region.
- Albanese to Maintain Australia's Strong Stance on China VOA 05 Jun 2022 -- Analysts say Australia's relationship with China is unlikely to improve under the new left-wing government in Canberra, although they say a decision by Pacific Island nations to resist a security pact with Beijing has signaled a strategic shift in regional dynamics for Canberra and the Quad, an informal grouping of the U.S., Japan, India and Australia.
- China's property market gradually rebounds during Dragon Boat Festival, as government supportive measures kick in Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- China's real estate market saw brisk business during the Dragon Boat Festival, with second-hand home transactions increasing from the previous month, industry insiders told the Global Times on Sunday, pointing to a gradual recovery amid intensifying efforts to boost the property market and stabilize housing and land prices.
- Chinese EV makers scramble to acquire lithium, aiming to curb battery prices Global Times 05 Jun 2022 -- Chinese electric vehicle (EV) industry players such as BYD are striving to secure deals with lithium mines overseas in a bid to curb surging prices of batteries while securing the stable supply of EVs, for which China is one of the leading producers in the world.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list