Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 June 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Most districts in Beijing clear community infection, enter normalized epidemic control era Global Times 03 Jun 2022 -- Beijing authorities said on Friday that most districts in Beijing cleared community infection. Except for Fengtai, Changping and Chaoyang districts, the remaining 13 districts and the economic development zone have recorded zero growth in community transmission for 7 straight days.
- Beijing reports 8 confirmed, 7 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jun 2022 -- Beijing reported eight new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and seven local asymptomatic cases on Thursday, the Beijing municipal health commission said Friday.
- COVID-19 vaccination rate among elderly further increases in China People's Daily 03 Jun 2022 -- More than 218 million Chinese aged 60 or above, or 82.66 percent of the country's senior citizens, have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, an increase of about 1 million people from 10 days ago, an official said Thursday.
- China strengthens supervision of COVID-19 nucleic acid testing People's Daily 03 Jun 2022 -- China has adopted stricter criteria for the supervision of the COVID-19 nucleic acid testing process, according to a recent circular.
- Hong Kong gov't keeps tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 03 Jun 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Thursday that the COVID-19 virus continues to be detected in sewage samples from different areas in Hong Kong, indicating that there may be hidden cases in these areas.
- Shanghai reports 8 confirmed, 8 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jun 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported eight confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and eight local asymptomatic cases on Thursday, the municipal health commission said Friday.
- PLA likely to hold another large-scale exercise by year-end: analyst CNA 03 Jun 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) might conduct another far sea carrier training drill by the end of this year, a military analyst said earlier this week.
- China takes dig at US as it again warns Bangladesh against Quad Radio Free Asia 03 Jun 2022 -- Bangladesh should reject a "cold war mentality and bloc politics," China told Dhaka's ambassador this week as it criticized Washington's policy to contain Beijing that U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken outlined in a speech last week.
- Wang Yi summarizes bilateral-multilateral 'two-wheel drive' for China-Pacific countries friendship at conclusion of 10-nation visit Global Times 03 Jun 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi wrapped up his epic island-hopping visit to the Pacific Island countries (PICs) starting from May 26 on Friday, with observers hailing as it was "a miraculous trip" that provided a timely answer to each PICs' individual needs, increases the scope of cooperation, and ushers in an even broader future for both bilateral and multilateral relations for China in the region.
- Wang Yi proposes 3 points for developing ties with S.Pacific countries, urges Australia to stop viewing China as an adversary Global Times 03 Jun 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi called on developing countries to treat others equally, help each other, and focus on development, as he summarized three keywords on how China develops friendly relations with other countries, including the South Pacific countries, at a joint press conference with Foreign Minister Soroi Eoe of Papua New Guinea, concluding a 10-day visit to the South Pacific.
- Wang Yi Talks about Three Keywords on China's Exchanges with Other Developing Countries PRC MofA 03 Jun 2022 -- On June 3, 2022 local time, State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Foreign Minister of Papua New Guinea Soroi Eoe jointly met the press in Port Moresby. Wang Yi introduced three "keywords" on China's exchanges with Pacific Island Countries (PICs) and other developing countries.
- The 33rd Anniversary of Tiananmen Square US Dept. of State 03 Jun 2022 -- "Tomorrow, we commemorate the 33rd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre in Beijing, where tens of thousands of pro-democracy protestors peacefully joined together to call for democracy, accountability, freedom, and rule of law."
- China rounds up dissidents, activists ahead of Tiananmen massacre anniversary Radio Free Asia 03 Jun 2022 -- Authorities in China have ordered dozens of pro-democracy activists and dissidents into house arrest or other forms of restriction ahead of the 33rd anniversary of the Tiananmen massacre on June 4.
- UN Rights Chief Is Urged to Resign After China Visit VOA 03 Jun 2022 -- Following her long-anticipated trip to China, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet's statement concerning the treatment of minority groups in Xinjiang prompted strong criticism from commenters on social media and in Western governments.
- Invasion of Ukraine may spark a world war, experts warn Radio Free Asia 03 Jun 2022 -- Russia's invasion of Ukraine has brought to the fore U.S.-China frictions with no end in sight, analysts warned, while a former Asian leader cautioned about the risk of a new world war.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list