Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing reports community-level infection again; 'dynamic zero' remains tough task: officials Global Times 30 May 2022 -- After three consecutive days without infections at the community level, Beijing reported another COVID-19 case during a community screening on Monday.
- Shanghai reopens community, transport resumes as city achieves milestones in anti-COVID fight Global Times 30 May 2022 -- Shanghai announced on Monday that the city will reopen residential communities, restart public transportation services and allow private vehicles on the roads in an orderly manner starting on Wednesday, following more than two months of lockdown.
- China donates 10m doses of COVID-19 vaccine, 13m syringes, 2 mobile laboratory vehicles to Myanmar Global Times 30 May 2022 -- China has donated 10 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines along with 13 million COVID-19 vaccine syringes and two mobile laboratory vehicles to Myanmar, according to a statement from the Chinese Embassy in Myanmar on Sunday.
- Shanghai to lift lockdown on June 1, residential compounds will reopen, private cars, public transport systems to restart Global Times 30 May 2022 -- Starting from June 1, Shanghai will reopen residential compounds, resume public transportation and will allow private vehicles on roads, following more than two months of lockdown since the end of March.
- Beijing reports 8 confirmed, 4 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 May 2022 -- Beijing reported eight new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and four local asymptomatic cases on Sunday, the Beijing municipal health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 20 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases, 8 in Beijing People's Daily 30 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Sunday reported 20 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including eight in Beijing, and six each in Tianjin and Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Monday.
- Beijing sees no community transmission of COVID-19 since Friday People's Daily 30 May 2022 -- Beijing saw no community transmission of COVID-19 in the city from Friday to 3 p.m. Sunday, an official told a press conference Sunday.
- Shanghai reports 6 confirmed, 61 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported six confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 61 local asymptomatic cases on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- HKSAR gov't continues tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 30 May 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government announced on Sunday that the COVID-19 virus continues to be detected in sewage samples from different areas in Hong Kong, indicating that there may be hidden cases in these areas.
- Chinese customs steps up monkeypox monitoring after WHO labels it 'moderate risk' Global Times 30 May 2022 -- China's customs authorities said on Monday that monitoring for monkeypox has been stepped up, and they warned against the risk posed by the zoonotic infectious disease. According to the WHO, the disease poses a "moderate risk" to public health, and it is highly likely that even more countries will report cases.
- 30 Chinese military aircraft enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 30 May 2022 -- Thirty Chinese military aircraft flew into the southwestern part of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Monday, the second-highest single-day total this year, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on May 30, 2022 PRC MofA 30 May 2022
- Xi Jinping Delivers Written Remarks at the Second China-Pacific Island Countries Foreign Ministers' Meeting PRC MofA 30 May 2022 -- On May 30, 2022, President Xi Jinping delivered written remarks at the second China-Pacific Island Countries (PICs) Foreign Ministers' Meeting.
- China, Pacific Island nations expand cooperation at second FMs' meeting covering poverty alleviation, climate change and agriculture Global Times 30 May 2022 -- One year since the first virtual foreign ministers' meeting between China and the Pacific Island nations, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi took a historic trip to eight regional countries and jointly chaired the second foreign ministers' meeting in Fiji on Monday, during which China and the countries reached a new consensus to deepen cooperation on sectors including poverty alleviation, climate change and agriculture.
- China accuses US of being destroyer of international order Global Times 30 May 2022 -- The international order pursued by the US based on "American rules" is the "most serious long-term challenge" to the world, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Monday in response to US Secretary of State Antony Blinken's China policy speech. Zhao said that the US is the biggest destroyer of the international order.
- Xi meets new HKSAR chief executive John Lee PLA Daily 30 May 2022 -- President Xi Jinping met with John Lee, the newly appointed sixth-term chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), on Monday in Beijing.
- Xi voices 'full trust' for HK new chief, hopes city govt to unveil new changes Global Times 30 May 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met John Lee Ka-chiu, the newly appointed sixth-term chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Monday in Beijing, during which he praised Lee for his patriotism and contributions for safeguarding national security and Hong Kong' s stability and assured that Lee has the full trust from the central government. The Chinese top leader also stresses the central government's resolve of unswervingly implementing the "one country, two systems" and that the city's new electoral system must be treasured and upheld, hoping that the new HKSAR government can unveil a new chapter for the city's development.
- Xi praises new HK chief John Lee for his patriotism, conveys central govt's trust in meeting in Beijing Global Times 30 May 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met with John Lee Ka-chiu on Monday afternoon and congratulated him on his election as the new Hong Kong Special Administrative Region chief executive.
- Statement by a Federal Foreign Office Spokesperson following the trip to China by High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet Germany Federal Foreign Office 30 May 2022 -- "Human rights are not an internal matter for individual states, and national borders do not constitute a wall behind which human rights no longer apply."
- FCDO statement on China's human rights violations in Xinjiang: 30 May 2022 UK FCDO 30 May 2022 -- An FCDO statement on China's human rights violations in Xinjiang, following a visit to the region by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- US keeps manipulating high-profile UN Xinjiang visit to attack China: FM Global Times 30 May 2022 -- It was the US that demanded the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights visit China, and then imposed all sorts of conditions and is now criticizing it, said China's Foreign Ministry on Monday when asked for comments on remarks by US secretary of state Antony Blinken that China restricted and manipulated Michelle Bachelet's visit.
- China to Invest $490 Million in Joint Oil Drilling Operation in Algeria Sputnik 30 May 2022 -- The contract, which will last for over two decades, will see a Chinese energy company maintain, upgrade and extend the existing infrastructure at one of Algeria's oil fields.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list