Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Universities are focus of COVID-19 prevention, control efforts in Beijing Global Times 22 May 2022 -- Universities are currently the focus of COVID-19 prevention and control efforts in Beijing, the capital city's officials said on Sunday, after five schools in a university town were closed following cluster infections among teachers and students.
- China reports first case of 'more contagious' Omicron BA.4 variant infection Global Times 22 May 2022 -- China reported the first case of a COVID-19 infection caused by the "more contagious" Omicron BA.4 variant, which was imported, according to an epidemiological survey by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Nearly 5,000 residents in Beijing's Chaoyang district transferred for 7-day centralized quarantine Global Times 22 May 2022 -- Some 5,000 residents in a community in Beijing's Chaoyang district were being transferred for seven-day centralized quarantine on Saturday after 26 confirmed COVID-19 cases were detected in eight buildings since the compound has been locked down On May 12.
- Shanghai reports 52 confirmed, 570 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 52 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 570 local asymptomatic cases on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 157 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 157 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which Shanghai and Beijing both reported 52, according to the National Health Commission Sunday.
- Malaysia reports 2,021 new COVID-19 infections, 3 new deaths People's Daily 22 May 2022 -- Malaysia reported 2,021 new COVID-19 infections as of midnight Saturday, bringing the national total to 4,489,503, according to the health ministry.
- China's refusal for Taiwan's participation in WHA gains support People's Daily 22 May 2022 -- China's decision not to agree with the Taiwan region's participation in this year's World Health Assembly (WHA) has received broad-based support and understanding from the international community, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Saturday.
- Chinese, Pakistani FMs agree to launch 'enhanced plan' to safeguard security of Chinese in Pakistan Global Times 22 May 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi and visiting Pakistani Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari on Sunday reached consensus on enhancing counter-terrorism cooperation, including formulating "enhanced plan" to safeguard the security of Chinese personnel and projects in Pakistan and further exploring the potential of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), during their meeting in Guangzhou, South China's Guangdong Province.
- US, Japan, Australia, India to launch system designed to track Chinese fishing activities: Report Press TV 22 May 2022 -- The US, Japan, Australia, and India plan to launch a tracking system designed to monitor Chinese fishing activities in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Chinese Top Diplomat Says US Indo-Pacific Strategy Undermines Peace, Bound to Fail Sputnik 22 May 2022 -- The US-proposed Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF), which aims to foment confrontation and undermine peace in the region, is bound to fail, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Sunday.
- China pushes the 'Sinicization of religion' in Xinjiang, targeting Uyghurs Radio Free Asia 22 May 2022 -- When Erkin Tuniyaz, chairman of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), visited the largest mosque in Urumqi before the Eid al-Fitr holy day marking the end of Ramadan, he used the opportunity to promote Beijing's policy of assimilation of non-Chinese people in its far western regions.
- Chinese cities exercise caution in relaxing house purchase restrictions Global Times 22 May 2022 -- The Wuhan Economic and Technological Development Zone in Central China's Hubei Province has deleted a post on social platform Sina Weibo stating that the zone has completely removed restrictions on home purchases, one week after the country's central bank lowered interest rate on mortgages for first-time homebuyers.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list