Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports 140 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Sunday reported 140 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 69 were in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Monday.
- China's Xi Bets It All on Zero-COVID Policy VOA 16 May 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping is staking his political future on the success of an unusually strict zero-COVID policy, experts say, as he comes up for an unprecedented third-term reappointment this year to the Communist Party's top job.
- Shanghai to ease lockdown if cases keep falling, but mass health checks to remain Radio Free Asia 16 May 2022 -- Authorities in Shanghai on Monday announced the easing over the next six weeks of a grueling lockdown that has seen the city's 26 million residents mostly confined to their homes, with many deprived of urgent medical care or essential supplies.
- Shanghai details plan of resuming normalcy in June Global Times 16 May 2022 -- Having been dragged into a COVID-19 lockdown for more than six weeks, Shanghai on Monday finally saw a glimmer of hope as the municipal government started to resume commercial operations and production and also set a goal to resume normal life in June. What it is like in Shanghai as the city cautiously takes the first step toward returning to normalcy?
- China should invest more resources on COVID-19 prevention to avoid treatment pressure: health chief Global Times 16 May 2022 -- China's health chief pledged to invest more effort and resources on COVID-19 prevention measures such as nucleic acid testing and quarantine to avoid the huge pressure of treatment, especially for vulnerable groups.
- Shanghai restarts businesses and services in phases with multiple districts rolling out resumption plans Global Times 16 May 2022 -- As Shanghai is scheduled to restart businesses and services in phases from Monday, manufacturing companies, postal and currier services, wholesale markets, and even tourist attraction sites are gradually resuming operation in some districts that have rolled out resumption plans.
- Shanghai vice mayor says city will resume normal life in June; daily new cases drop under 1,000 for first time Global Times 16 May 2022 -- Vice mayor of Shanghai announced on Monday that no new COVID-19 cases were detected outside quarantined areas for two consecutive days, while the number of daily new positive cases has dropped to less than 1,000 for the first time since the beginning of the Omicron outbreak.
- Shanghai cuts off community transmission of COVID in 15 districts People's Daily 16 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai has cut off the community transmission of COVID-19 in 15 out of its 16 districts, according to a press conference on epidemic prevention and control held Monday.
- 627 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 16 May 2022 -- A total of 627 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Sunday, the National Health Commission said in its Monday report.
- Shanghai reports 69 confirmed, 869 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 69 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 869 local asymptomatic cases on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- Beijing to conduct further mass COVID-19 testings People's Daily 16 May 2022 -- Beijing will conduct three further mass nucleic acid testings in 12 districts from Monday to Wednesday, as the Chinese capital races against the clock to contain its latest resurgence of COVID-19 infections.
- COVID-hit Shanghai to promote business resumption in stages People's Daily 16 May 2022 -- China's financial hub Shanghai will gradually reopen businesses such as shopping malls, vegetable markets and hair salons from Monday after weeks of closed-off management to ward off COVID-19, the city's vice mayor told a media briefing Sunday.
- Beijing Vows to Strengthen Cooperation With North Korea in Fight Against COVID-19 Sputnik 16 May 2022 -- China is ready to strengthen and maintain close coordination with North Korea to combat the upsurge in the spread of coronavirus infections, foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Monday.
- 'Fourth dose' or combination vaccine being evaluated in China: Gao Fu, head of the Chinese CDC Global Times 16 May 2022 -- In a live online interview on Sunday, Gao Fu, head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), noted that vaccine upgrading is the next step in the world's scientific response to COVID-19. It is still under evaluation whether China will launch a 'fourth dose' of the vaccine or promote mixing injections, he said.
- Taiwan changes computerized war games to map-based simulation, shows 'lack of confidence, self-deception' Global Times 16 May 2022 -- Taiwan authorities kicked off their annual Han Kuang military exercise on Monday. However, while attempting to attract attention with scenarios drawn from the Russia-Ukraine conflict, the first phase of the war games, an "all-out defense" computer simulation, will surprisingly be changed this year into a map-based one, a less accurate and objective format without a final outcome, which experts said reflects a lack of confidence of the Taiwan military and is self-deceiving.
- Some Taiwanese Youtubers on CCP payroll: intelligence chief CNA 16 May 2022 -- Taiwan's top intelligence chief on Monday said that some local internet celebrities were being paid by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) to conduct "cognitive warfare" campaigns in Taiwan and help Beijing spread propaganda in the country.
- China, ASEAN to hold South China Sea code of conduct talks this month Radio Free Asia 16 May 2022 -- China and countries from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will conduct face-to-face consultations on a Code of Conduct (COC) in the disputed South China Sea later this month in Cambodia, the Chinese Foreign Ministry has said.
- China's Z-20 chopper sling-loads all-terrain vehicle for 1st time, can transport 'artillery, drones' Global Times 16 May 2022 -- China's domestically developed Z-20 helicopter can transport a wide variety of vehicles including self-propelled mortars, howitzers, multiple rocket launchers and air defense missile platforms as well as land drones, giving aerial assault troops more tactical options and advantages, experts said on Monday, after the chopper recently successfully practiced sling-loading an all-terrain vehicle for the first time.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on May 16, 2022 PRC MofA 16 May 2022
- Central Asia Caught Up in Power Play Between US, China VOA 16 May 2022 -- In the two most recent U.S. presidential administrations, Central Asia has been caught up in Washington's "strategic competition" with Beijing, experts say.
- China Voices Firm Protest Over G7 Statement Regarding Taiwan and Xinjiang Sputnik 16 May 2022 -- On Sunday, the Group of Seven raised concern over "the situation in and around the East and South China Seas", saying that Beijing should "abstain from threats, coercion, intimidation measures or the use of force". They also urged China to allow access to Xinjiang and Tibet for independent observers.
- Xi sends congratulatory message to new UAE president People's Daily 16 May 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday congratulated Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan on his assuming the presidency of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Protests at Peking University as China's Xi moves to silence ruling party elders Radio Free Asia 16 May 2022 -- Hundreds of students protested at the weekend on the campus of Peking University (Beida) after a fence was put in place segregating them from the rest of the university, which continues to move around freely.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list