Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
13 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China immigration authorities debunk disinformation over alleged heavy-handed border controls Global Times 13 May 2022 -- China's National Immigration Administration (NIA) and the General Station of Exit and Entry Frontier Inspections in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou on Friday debunked rumors surrounding passenger passports or green cards being confiscated when entering or exiting the country. Authorities said that such disinformation aims to undermine China's COVID-19 prevention measures and regulations.
- Immigration authority refutes false info slandering China's entry-exit policies People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- China's National Immigration Administration (NIA) on Friday dismissed false overseas media reports on its border control practices, saying such rumors aim to distort and discredit the country's entry and exit policies.
- COVID-19 kills 8 Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 13 May 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 141,209, with eight more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Friday.
- Health, wealth no zero-sum game in China's COVID battle People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- In the face of mounting uncertainties due to COVID-19, one thing remains certain -- China will stick to its dynamic zero-COVID policy that has proven pragmatic and effective.
- 614 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- A total of 614 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Thursday, the National Health Commission said in its Friday report.
- Chinese mainland reports 312 new local COVID-19 cases, 227 in Shanghai People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 312 confirmed local COVID-19 cases, of which 227 were in Shanghai, the National Health Commission said on Friday.
- Shanghai reports 227 confirmed, 1,869 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 227 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 1,869 local asymptomatic cases on Thursday, the municipal health commission said Friday.
- Beijing to conduct 3 more rounds of mass COVID-19 testing People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- Beijing will conduct three additional rounds of mass nucleic acid testing in 12 districts from Friday to Sunday, as the Chinese capital races against time to contain the latest resurgence of COVID-19 infections.
- Hong Kong's third-dose COVID-19 vaccination rate reaches 50 pct People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government announced Thursday that about 3.38 million people had received their third COVID-19 vaccine dose as of Thursday, accounting for 50 percent of the population aged 12 or above.
- Bridge in disputed territory between China and India sparks concern Radio Free Asia 13 May 2022 -- A bridge being built by China across Pangong Lake in a disputed section of northwest India could further inflame tensions between the two countries, experts on the border dispute said.
- Imagery - Chinese Naval Vessel operating off West Australian Coast Australia DOD 13 May 2022 -- Defence is aware of a People's Liberation Army-Navy (PLA-N) Intelligence Collection Vessel operating off the north-west shelf of Australia.
- China builds simulated Taiwan port, ship to test missiles: military analyst CNA 13 May 2022 -- China appears to have built mockups of a port in northeastern Taiwan and a military vessel docked there, with the aim of using them as targets to test its ballistic missiles, a retired Taiwan Navy officer said Friday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on May 13, 2022 PRC MofA 13 May 2022
- China slams planned US economic framework as Biden hosts SE Asian leaders Radio Free Asia 13 May 2022 -- Beijing has slammed the U.S.-proposed Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF), calling it an attempt by Washington to lure Southeast Asian countries to "decouple from China."
- Rights groups press UN ahead of trip to Xinjiang as detention camp list emerges Radio Free Asia 13 May 2022 -- About 20 Uyghur, Tibetan and international human rights groups protested outside the United Nations compound in Geneva on Friday, calling on the U.N. human rights chief to release her report on abuses in Xinjiang and to consult internment camps survivors and other Chinese exiles ahead of her planned visit to China's western region.
- China sets up local law enforcement militias to boost 'stability maintenance' Radio Free Asia 13 May 2022 -- Judicial authorities across China are setting up "people's legal struggle militias" to aid law enforcement, recruiting lawyers 18-45 "in good physical condition," according to official notices posted online.
- China Faces Grim Economic Prospects, Experts Say VOA 13 May 2022 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has suggested that China's current job market is "complicated and severe" as the country maintains "unswerving adherence" to the "zero-COVID" policy, whose lockdowns are causing a severe economic contraction throughout the nation.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list