Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing still in 'tug of war' against Omicron Global Times 08 May 2022 -- Over the past weekend, Beijing reported a total of 137 domestically transmitted COVID-19 infections. Yet, a piece of great news is being highlighted by experts amid the virus-hit capital's weeks-long tug-of-war against Omicron - on Sunday, the city saw no new infections at the community level for the first time after eight rounds of mass nucleic acid screening.
- Shanghai into 10th day of case declines, 'sees light at end of tunnel' Global Times 08 May 2022 -- As Shanghai reported 215 local confirmed COVID-19 cases and 3,760 silent carriers on Saturday, the 10th consecutive day of declines, China's top epidemiologist Zhang Wenhong, among a number of other scientists, said in an article in The Lancet on Sunday that the city is "seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in this round of the epidemic."
- Shanghai residents see light at the end of Omicron outbreak: medical expert Global Times 08 May 2022 -- Shanghai residents are seeing the tunnel light after being locked down for more than a month, while the city's strict pandemic control measures buy time for more vaccinations and bringing down elderly fatalities, local medical experts including Zhang Wenhong, head of the infectious disease department at Huashan Hospital in Shanghai, said in a latest co-authored thesis published in The Lancet.
- Beijing reports 39 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- Beijing reported 39 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases between 3 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday, said local authorities Sunday.
- China's dynamic zero-COVID policy continues yielding positive results People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- China's epidemic control policy has proved to be science-based and effective, continuously yielding positive results in containing COVID-19.
- 82 pct of senior residents in China fully vaccinated against COVID-19 People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- A senior Chinese health official said 215.6 million senior residents had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, representing 81.67 percent of the population aged 60 and above.
- Shanghai reports 215 confirmed, 3,760 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 215 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 3,760 local asymptomatic cases on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- 1,115 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- A total of 1,115 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Saturday, the National Health Commission said in its Sunday report.
- Chinese mainland reports 319 new local COVID-19 cases, 215 in Shanghai People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 319 confirmed local COVID-19 cases, of which 215 were in Shanghai, the National Health Commission said on Sunday.
- PLA encircles Taiwan island with carrier drills amid US, Japanese provocations Global Times 08 May 2022 -- Starting a routine, realistic combat training mission in the West Pacific about a week ago, the Liaoning aircraft carrier group of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy has reportedly been practicing intensively over the past few days in the Philippine Sea to the east of the island of Taiwan and south of Japan, a location that experts said is a vital place to stop potential external interference in event of a reunification-by-force operation in the Taiwan Straits.
- Former Police Officer Elected As New Hong Kong Chief Executive Sputnik 08 May 2022 -- Former police officer and secretary for security John Lee Ka-chiu has been elected as the new Hong Kong chief executive in uncontested election, the Hong Kong government announced on Sunday.
- Profile: John Lee, HKSAR's sixth-term chief executive designate People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- John Lee was elected as the sixth-term chief executive designate of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Sunday.
- Meet John Lee Ka-chiu, Hong Kong's new chief executive known for strong love of nation and SAR Global Times 08 May 2022 -- John Lee Ka-chiu was elected as the new chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region on Sunday. Not long ago during his campaign, he vowed to open a new chapter for Hong Kong together with Hong Kong residents.
- John Lee elected as sixth-term Chief Executive of HKSAR with 99.16% supportive votes Global Times 08 May 2022 -- By securing 99.16 percent supportive votes from the Election Committee members who cast their votes on Sunday, the sole candidate John Lee Ka-chiu was elected as the sixth-term Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- John Lee elected as HKSAR's sixth-term chief executive designate People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- The returning officer for the election of the sixth-term chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) said on Sunday that John Lee has been elected as the chief executive designate.
- HKSAR chief executive congratulates John Lee on winning election People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam on Sunday extended congratulations to John Lee on his election as the HKSAR's six-term chief executive designate.
- With highest level of support, John Lee set to open new chapter for Hong Kong Global Times 08 May 2022 -- After about three hours of voting and vote counting, the former Chief Secretary for Hong Kong and former Security Secretary John Lee Ka-chiu, who is also the sole candidate in the Chief Executive Election, gained 99.16 percent supporting votes, becoming the new leader and he is expected to usher Hong Kong into a new chapter of development, after it had been heavily impacted by social turmoil and the COVID-19 epidemic.
- China central gov't office says Hong Kong takes fresh look with new electoral system People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- The Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of China's State Council on Sunday said Hong Kong has taken a fresh look with a new electoral system and is poised for a brighter future at a new starting point.
- Hong Kong makes new strides in democracy People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) has made new strides in developing democracy suited to its own realities, as the election of the HKSAR's sixth-term chief executive was smoothly held on Sunday.
- Central gov't liaison office lauds HKSAR chief executive election People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- The Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Sunday issued a statement on the successful election of the sixth-term chief executive of the HKSAR, congratulating John Lee on his election as the chief executive designate by an overwhelming vote.
- Backgrounder: HKSAR's sixth-term chief executive election People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- The election of the sixth-term chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) was held on Sunday, the third major election since the improvement to the HKSAR's electoral system.
- Chinese premier stresses effort to stabilize employment, attain annual target People's Daily 08 May 2022 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has urged efforts to help as many market entities as possible to stabilize their posts and expand job opportunities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list