Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing Residents Brace for COVID-19 Lockdown VOA 05 May 2022 -- Unlike Shanghai, Beijing has yet to require that all its residents remain at home to contain the spread of COVID-19. Nevertheless, many people in its Chaoyang district and elsewhere are preparing for that possibility.
- CPC top leadership stresses sticking to zero-COVID policy Global Times 05 May 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, chaired a meeting of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee on COVID-19 prevention work on Thursday.
- Shanghai likely to gradually lift lockdowns 'by end of May' Global Times 05 May 2022 -- After over a month of decisive and tough battle against Omicron, Shanghai has been recording declining numbers of new infections at the community level in recent days. The city reported 34 new infections at the community level on Wednesday - the lowest since May 1 - and its daily new case tally continued declining below 5,000, data showed on Thursday. With thousands of key enterprises resuming production, experts forecast that the city will gradually lift the lockdowns by the end of May.
- China's recombinant protein vaccine 87.6% effective against severe cases Global Times 05 May 2022 -- Amid flare-ups in Beijing and Shanghai, China's COVID-19 vaccine manufacturer Zhifei Longcom released encouraging data, which showed that its vaccine is 75.7 percent effective against symptomatic and 87.6 percent effective against severe-to-critical COVID-19 cases for six months following full vaccination.
- Shanghai establishes team of 500 experts to support severe COVID-19 patients' treatment Global Times 05 May 2022 -- Shanghai has established a medical team with more than 500 experts specializing in severe and critical COVID-19 patients' treatment via traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) combined with Western medicine to reduce mortality rates, as the city has registered over 600 severe patients, according to the Shanghai health commission on Thursday.
- Nearly 9,000 COVID-19 testing sites set up in Shanghai People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- Nearly 9,000 nucleic acid testing sites had been set up in Shanghai as of Wednesday evening, officials told a press conference on Thursday.
- Shanghai reports 261 confirmed, 4,390 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 261 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 4,390 local asymptomatic cases on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 360 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases, 261 in Shanghai People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 360 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 261 were in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Thursday.
- Beijing adopts work-from-home policy in COVID-19 risk areas People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- The Beijing municipal government on Wednesday ordered employers in Chaoyang District and other areas where public transportation has been suspended to arrange for their employees to work from home from Thursday due to the recent COVID-19 resurgence.
- Colombian Drug Baron 'Otoniel' Pleads Not Guilty in US Court Sputnik 05 May 2022 -- Colombian drug baron Dairo Antonio Usuga David, known by various aliases including "Otoniel," pleaded not guilty in an American court, US Attorneys Office spokesperson John Marzulli told Sputnik.
- Central China's Zhengzhou presses 'pause button' for a week to reach zero-COVID at community level Global Times 05 May 2022 -- Zhengzhou, home to more than 12.6 million people in Central China's Henan Province, pressed the "pause button" from Wednesday until next Tuesday after the city reported nine confirmed cases and 24 asymptomatic infections on Tuesday.
- Beijing set to strengthen battle against COVID People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- The number of infections in Beijing's latest COVID-19 outbreak since April 22 has surpassed the total tally in the city's Xinfadi outbreak in 2020, and interventions will be further strengthened to cut potential transmissions, a senior official said on Wednesday.
- Beijing adjusts quarantine period for inbound travelers People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- The Beijing municipal government on Wednesday said that travelers entering China via Beijing will be subject to 10 days of concentrated isolation plus seven days of home quarantine.
- Pandemic, conflicts affect mlns' mental health: WHO People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- A senior official of the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the COVID-19 pandemic and military conflict in Ukraine have affected the mental health of millions of people.
- Beijing reports 33 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- Beijing has reported 33 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases as of 3 p.m. Wednesday, local authorities have said.
- HKSAR gov't appeals for elderly persons to undergo frequent COVID-19 testing People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Wednesday appealed to elderly people again to undergo frequent COVID-19 testing in light of the gradual relaxation of social distancing measures and the increase in social activities.
- Both Russia, Ukraine FMs praise China's fair, just stance on current crisis in recent interviews: FM Global Times 05 May 2022 -- Foreign ministers from Russia and Ukraine praised China's fair and just stance on the current Russia-Ukraine conflicts, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian told a press conference on Thursday, stressing China will continue to play a constructive role on the Ukraine issue and encourage parties involved to resolve the conflict through talks and diplomatic channels.
- Aircraft carrier Liaoning hosts fighter jet drills in Philippine Sea, 'displays confidence' Global Times 05 May 2022 -- The aircraft carrier Liaoning of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy hosted fighter jet drills in the Philippine Sea on Tuesday, Japan's defense ministry said on Wednesday, soon after the PLA Navy announced the carrier group sailed into the West Pacific for a routine, realistic combat far sea training mission.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on May 5, 2022 PRC MofA 05 May 2022
- US senior official hypes 'China threat' for own military expansion: FM Global Times 05 May 2022 -- Some US officials frequently hype the "China threat" to make excuses for their own military expansion but what they really fear is US' hegemony being challenged, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said in response to US' Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin's recent remarks.
- China: US 'deserves its name as the biggest lie maker' Press TV 05 May 2022 -- China says it has always been a victim of the US disinformation campaign, hitting back at Washington's allegations that Beijing has helped Russia produce propaganda against Ukraine.
- Ukraine and China Topped Agenda on Japan's PM's SE Asia Swing VOA 05 May 2022 -- Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida this week used what has become a customary tour of Southeast Asia to rally support for sanctions on Russia and affirm his country's commitment to defending the freedom of navigation in the South China Sea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list